3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

New to diesel ownership. Need guidance on upgrades

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to diesel ownership. Need guidance on upgrades

Hey guys (and gals),

Gonna be purchasing an '08 or '09 Ram 2500 soon and would really like some tips and guidance on performance upgrades. If like to get rid of as much of the emissions crap from the Bluetech as I can, but I live in PA where they do emissions test with annual inspection. Need to figure out what mods I can do that are either gonna still pass emissions testing or can be reverted easily once a year. Looking mainly at increased fuel economy but wouldn't mind some extra HP and torque. Chips, programmers, deletes, intakes...? And, GO!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
H&S Mini Maxx is what I have, but its last year's model so I can go with or without the emissions garbage .... I mean equipment.

Right now I'm using a DPF friendly tow tune, and my mileage has gone up from around 14 to 15 MPG to just shy of 20 MPG. I picked up the delete pipe when I bought mine, so if I ever decide to go down that route I have the option.

-Kris
Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM

As I said, I'm a newb. So the Mini Maxx tuner can turn the blue tech emissions equip on and off?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM

I don't think I'll be able to straight pipe in PA. So should I do the EGR and DPF deletes, with mini Maxx or Smarty and maybe a Bank Ram-Air intake system? Being new to the diesel game I don't want to do anything that's gonna jack up my rig or burn up my motor.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the mini maxx tuners built prior to the EPA crackdown can deactivate the EGR and DPF systems. however they are hard to come by anymore, search ebay and or craigslist to see what you find in the used market if you want an H&S tuner.....

the best and easiest option at this point as far as I know is to buy a RaceMe tuner, they are working well, they are similar to a smarty and are delete capable.

if you have to pass a full emissions test to register the truck every year then it depends on your willingness to remove and reinstall the DPF in the middle of the exhaust pipe on a yearly basis, the easier option is to just unplug the EGR valve and deal with the check engine light, it will let your engine breathe nice clean air for a change.

unless you are going to start to search for gobs of power (450+) don't bother with the banks ram air, just swap in a good quality filter into the stock box, it flows just fine and filters as good or better than the aftermarket stuff in my opinion

hoe this helps to get you started...

I'm hoping someone with better knowledge of EFI live can fill in the gaps in what I don't know about the delete capabilities of EFI live
Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM

I really don't mind installing and uninstalling the DPF every year if it makes a difference in how the truck runs and gets me better fuel mileage and power..? I'm a general contractor and will be using this truck as a daily drive so even 1-3 mpg increase makes a difference to me. If I unplug the EGR I still need a tuner, correct? Is there a tuner that will keep that check engine light off? I was also looking into a throttle body delete. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also do what is called a Calif. stealth delete. Here is a link to a long long running thread on the delete. It is called Tom's Smarty Journal. On page 110 he states that he passed the smog inspection with the stealth delete and running the Smarty on CaTCHER #1.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07...y-journal.html

Also EFILive will work for your truck and will pass the inspection process also. It has to be tuned correctly.

Jim W.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 AM

Like I said, I'm new to diesel ownership so correct me if I'm wrong. My current rig (an '03 1500 SLT quad cab) has always had a check engine light on ever since I bought it used. The code is for the fuel cap. Changed it about 3 times and it never made a difference. After resetting the computer it would come back on about 100mi down the road. So what I've done every year at inspection time is disconnect the battery, hook it back up and drive 50mi. There has to be a minimum of 50mi on the computer for the emissions test to work.

That brings me to my pain in the *** idea. Could I do full deletes (EGR, DPF, throttle valve, pull NOX canister) and add a smarty tuner. Then, every year before inspection, put it all back to stock and do my battery reset thing, drive 50mi and pass? Is that a plausible idea?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ikeland
Like I said, I'm new to diesel ownership so correct me if I'm wrong. My current rig (an '03 1500 SLT quad cab) has always had a check engine light on ever since I bought it used. The code is for the fuel cap. Changed it about 3 times and it never made a difference. After resetting the computer it would come back on about 100mi down the road. So what I've done every year at inspection time is disconnect the battery, hook it back up and drive 50mi. There has to be a minimum of 50mi on the computer for the emissions test to work.

That brings me to my pain in the *** idea. Could I do full deletes (EGR, DPF, throttle valve, pull NOX canister) and add a smarty tuner. Then, every year before inspection, put it all back to stock and do my battery reset thing, drive 50mi and pass? Is that a plausible idea?
That is almost exactly what I do (I don't remove the TV or EGR Cooler) and it is welll worth it. The tuners will clear and read codes so you don't have to worry about the CEL or resetting if you have an issue like you mentioned.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
That is almost exactly what I do (I don't remove the TV or EGR Cooler) and it is welll worth it. The tuners will clear and read codes so you don't have to worry about the CEL or resetting if you have an issue like you mentioned.

What tuner setting have you found works best all around for fuel economy and power and is there usually just a "factory" setting on the tuners to revert back to stock?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
"California Style"

I use a Smarty Sr. It has a stock setting as well as a 1/2 stock setting which derates power and such below stock even... I don't get to drive mine much to experiment on the best setting for economy unfortunately. I've been going with 1 step up in power (SW3) from stock and using my driving style to maximize economy there.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM

About what mileage are you getting by doing that combo? City and highway. I'm a general contractor and will be using the truck on a daily basis so I'm trying to see where and how I can maximize efficiency wherever possible without sacrificing power.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 PM
"California Style"

I generally improved about 3+ mpg on the highway. When towing, I'm maybe getting about 1 mpg improvement. And, I have more power, cleaner oil and cleaner turbo, etc.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Great stuff, I'll look into the used tuners. Any suggestions on good places to look? Ebay, new egg, Froogle,...?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Can you point me in the right direction for some brands or specific part models for the following mods? I'm looking to be economical but I also don't want to buy junk.

-Good quality air filter
-EGR delete kit
-Throttle valve delete kit
-DPF/NOX delete kits/options
-Boost tube and intake horn

Think I'm gonna go with a Smarty Sr. coupled with an Edge Insight CTS. But I don't even know where to start on this other stuff. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to diesel ownership. Need guidance on upgrades