Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

California bus crash kills 10 after FedEx truck collision led to explosions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
California bus crash kills 10 after FedEx truck collision led to explosions

We had a horrific accident up in Northern California on Friday.
Several of these students were from our local schools.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rticle-9500083

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2ylDMGz5k

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/12...s-truck-crash/

Just terrible.

Jim
Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Man, that sucks....

My thoughts to the families involved.

Jim,

Did that highway have a center divider ?

The reason I ask is that this "toilet of a state" finally, after decades of crossover deaths, instituted a plan to install center dividers on most of the highways that could accommodate them. Unfortunately, not all can have them due to size constraints, but a lot of them now have the metal girder style center dividers. Although not as secure as concrete dividers, they provided a little bit of comfort to driving here. If a big rig is going fast enough, the metal dividers slow them down, but don't necessarily stop them from traversing into the oncoming lanes.

Sad.... really sad about those poor people in the bus.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Here in the Red, er North Star State, they're putting guard rails right up against the left lane of one way or the other. If you spin out on the frequent ice, instead of going 30 feet into the ditch out of harms way and hanging it up on the fence, you bounce and spin back into traffic for a second chance at death or dismemberment.

I swear, our civil engineers stay awake at night trying to figure out how to get the body count up. Case in point, they put in a 4 lane bypass around Cambridge MN. The South Main Street intersection had main street curving right up to the intersection, 65MPH hwy 65 S curved through the intersection, two busy roads ran parallel to this mess, and they put in no signals. I think 9 people died in fierce crashes in a year before they put signals in. Even with the semaphores, if you're not paying attention, you can really get confused, especially at night.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
Man, that sucks....

My thoughts to the families involved.

Jim,

Did that highway have a center divider ?

The reason I ask is that this "toilet of a state" finally, after decades of crossover deaths, instituted a plan to install center dividers on most of the highways that could accommodate them. Unfortunately, not all can have them due to size constraints, but a lot of them now have the metal girder style center dividers. Although not as secure as concrete dividers, they provided a little bit of comfort to driving here. If a big rig is going fast enough, the metal dividers slow them down, but don't necessarily stop them from traversing into the oncoming lanes.

Sad.... really sad about those poor people in the bus.
It was only described as a "grassy highway median" this is in Northern California where it is more grassy.
Than here in So Cal.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Here in the Red, er North Star State, they're putting guard rails right up against the left lane of one way or the other. If you spin out on the frequent ice, instead of going 30 feet into the ditch out of harms way and hanging it up on the fence, you bounce and spin back into traffic for a second chance at death or dismemberment.

I swear, our civil engineers stay awake at night trying to figure out how to get the body count up. Case in point, they put in a 4 lane bypass around Cambridge MN. The South Main Street intersection had main street curving right up to the intersection, 65MPH hwy 65 S curved through the intersection, two busy roads ran parallel to this mess, and they put in no signals. I think 9 people died in fierce crashes in a year before they put signals in. Even with the semaphores, if you're not paying attention, you can really get confused, especially at night.
It's like the rural signals where a lot of accidents happen. They can be seen for 5+ miles, but they figure they aren't bright enough, so they put brighter lights in. Now they can be seen for another mile or two. And they still have serious accidents. Gee, I wonder why, you get used to seeing a red light ahead of you for 7-8 minutes, and they sneak right up on you, especially when there's nothing to help judge how far you are from the intersection.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
It's like the rural signals where a lot of accidents happen. They can be seen for 5+ miles, but they figure they aren't bright enough, so they put brighter lights in. Now they can be seen for another mile or two. And they still have serious accidents. Gee, I wonder why, you get used to seeing a red light ahead of you for 7-8 minutes, and they sneak right up on you, especially when there's nothing to help judge how far you are from the intersection.
That's their latest ploy at the intersection I documented. The signal lights are so bright that you can't see into the curved intersection at night. One of these days there's going to be a serious collision involving some poor hapless soul that flamed out just past the intersection and is on the shoulder waiting for help.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin

You can fix an intersection or interchange with as many warning devices as you like. You can't fix bad drivers, kinda like you cant fix stupid. Good post Jm
Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Very sorry and saddened by this. Just a group of kids headin out for a fun weekend. Senseless.

I just never get it....

Prayers said.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Now they are saying the driver worked a "long" shift. Drove a little over 300 miles in 7 hours, with a drop and hook after 240.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Witness said the truck was on fire as it crossed the median, sounds like they are trying to blame someone who cannot defend himself.
Amazed there were no witnesses on the other side of the hi way behind the FedEx truck.

Maybe the DPF malfunctioned and overheated.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 AM

I heard that too. Of course there is going to be no evidence that it was, it burnt up completely after the crash, unless someone had a dash cam.

It could have been electrical too. My cousin was in a newer Columbia freightshaker driving for West Side Transport. Was on the computer one night when the cab filled with smoke, he dived for the door and barely got out. Truck shut off and was still smoking, so he got the batteries unhooked. Something in the fuse panel in the wall behind the driver's seat melted down. If he had been sleeping when it went, he'd be dead, his lungs and throat hurt for several days.