2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got

Ok so I ve read countless threads on what headlight housings and bulbs everyone is running but we need a thread with all the info and some pics.

Post up your pics of reflector, projector or whatever you have and some info about them:

-what brand the assemblies and bulbs are
-what type of bulbs you used (HID, halogens....)
-what wiring harness you used
-what the light output is like
-what kind of cash did you have to drop on the setup
-what you would change if you did it again
-and whatever other info you think is useful

Hopefully we get a large range of set-ups and some good info because I know the stock headlights suck and people are always looking for different set-ups.

Thanks to all that can contribute
Old 03-09-2010, 03:49 AM

cheap taiwanese euro style headlights

the title sums it up, they were 90 bucks and easy to install. I didn't feel like spending the money on the conversion right now but had a cracked lense. These give off pretty good light for what they are, I am actually quite happy with the amount of light, If I wasn't aware of the lack of lighting trouble these trucks have I wouldn't complain about these lights. They are made in taiwan and should be treated as such. I am wondering what would happen if I added a relay (I might melt them,lol) But a cheap and easy short term fix. I should mention that the originals come out WAY easier if you split them from the mount. feel free to pm me if you need more info or where to get. A couple of people have mentioned that it makes the truck look newer (they don't know better), I'm undecided now on whether or not to upgrade further, like I said happy with the lighting, not happy with how plastic they are. I'd rather spend money on the 12 valve I guess.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got-stern-damage-477-old-but-recent-feb-27th-repair-015.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mr.Vicious....where did you purchase?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
While this provides no info that you are asking for it does provide some good info on lighting your vehicle. Is simple and fairly easy to understand. You can read through all the sections and links fairly quickly.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/about/about.html

I am trying to decide whether I want the oem or the tiawan knockoff sport lights. 400-500 from the dealer vs under 200 for knockoffs (plus the harness for either set for the conversion). Most seem to be fairly happy with the knockoffs but from what I have read the oems are definitely better quality.

From my emails with Daniel he states
" Far and away the best 9007 bulbs presently on the market are the
>> Philips Xtreme Power items:
>> http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopo90hbpo1.html
>>
>> The best 9004s are the GE Night Hawk 9004NH items, which you can get
>> from www.amazon.com .
>>
>> Do not buy blue or "extra white" bulbs (Silver Star, Crystal Vision,
>> TruView, Hoen, PIAA, etc.); despite the heavy advertising push and
>> claims of "brighter and whiter" light, they actually produce _less_
>> light due to the blue glass they use."

Anyway the above site is informative and worth reading.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 AM

I have lights very similar to the ones VICIOUS is talking about. Ebay for $110 I think. Was disappointed in the difference they made to be honest. They are not designed with a good reflector and you get what you pay for. Sport headlights are still better IMO. They DO provide a more narrow beam straight ahead, but not much fill in in front or to the sides beyond what the stockers gave.

I would not do it again, but instead just buy some sport headlights. What I still need with these cheap ebay set is extra fog lighting so I've added some CATZ MSRs which do an excellent job filling in what the headlights don't.

The good thing about them tho is they are nice looking and do improve the "newness" look of the truck. Just like VICIOUS said.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by BarryG
From my emails with Daniel he states
" Far and away the best 9007 bulbs presently on the market are the
>> Philips Xtreme Power items:
>> http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopo90hbpo1.html
>>
>> The best 9004s are the GE Night Hawk 9004NH items, which you can get
>> from www.amazon.com .
>>
>> Do not buy blue or "extra white" bulbs (Silver Star, Crystal Vision,
>> TruView, Hoen, PIAA, etc.); despite the heavy advertising push and
>> claims of "brighter and whiter" light, they actually produce _less_
>> light due to the blue glass they use."
But to be taken with a grain of salt, as they say. Silverstars do NOT put out less light nor do they have a blue tint. And contrary to Daniel's assessment, PIAA bulbs and the OSRAM Sylvania Silver Stars are consistently rated the best in performance and light output in direct DOT compliant bulbs. I put Silver Stars in my stock, aged/yellowed housings and got back the light output I used to have with clear lenses...can't wait to see what they look like with clear lenses! Also, I have heard nothing but complaints about the longevity of the GE nighthawk bulbs from another forum of auto enthusiasts.

What he's trying to get across is adding a blue filter layer to the bulb as the majority of them do does not increase light output, it only filters the light and thus reduces some of it, but gives it that blue tint.
Googleing the Phillips I found nothing useful on their website, but this tuner forum post has some good pics for comparison and even references Daniel.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

There is tons of great info on daniel sterns website.

People claim there piaa's are way better then stock, but the big problem I have with them is its a temporary fix. The bulbs burn out and who wants to spend $90 on bulbs more than once.

Sport headlights imho are the best solution, the clear housings make a huge difference, as well as having four lights well on high beam, and also the upgraded wiring makes a big differnece.

I have sport lights, I have the cheapy taiwan ones, they work great but they tend to fog up from time to time. I think I have found the issue, there is a small plug on the back that leaks. I put silicone in the hole and they don't seem to fog up anymore. I am using just regular phillips bulbs and the light output is excellent.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
Mr.Vicious....where did you purchase?
pm sent
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by CORed
I have lights very similar to the ones VICIOUS is talking about. Ebay for $110 I think. Was disappointed in the difference they made to be honest. They are not designed with a good reflector and you get what you pay for. Sport headlights are still better IMO. They DO provide a more narrow beam straight ahead, but not much fill in in front or to the sides beyond what the stockers gave.

I would not do it again, but instead just buy some sport headlights. What I still need with these cheap ebay set is extra fog lighting so I've added some CATZ MSRs which do an excellent job filling in what the headlights don't.

The good thing about them tho is they are nice looking and do improve the "newness" look of the truck. Just like VICIOUS said.
I agree, foggers would improve lighting in front. my stock lights were so bad it was somewhat unsafe. If you follow all of daniel sterns recommendations it's a 500 dollar bill. I have an extensive email he sent me, which recommends dodge sports(not knockoffs) relay harness and bulbs (4)
Have you tried adjusting your bulbs/beams? I haven't yet, but will give it a whirl eventually
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Sport headlights here. With the harness that provides power with direct connections to the batteries. MUCH better lighting than the original headlights, even when I had the high beam mod in place.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got-dsc01805-large-.jpg   2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got-dsc01806-large-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM

I have a set of tractor fog lights mounted in that gap where stock fog lights would go,

I also have some true blue headlights from JC Whitney. They were like $25. They aren't real bright but looks pretty neat. Also i have the fog lights that i use for headlights because they are really bright. I will post pictures when i get home.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Great thread guys, keep it going as this will be my next purchase
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Ya a great start, lots of good useful info.

Lets see some more complete set-ups
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I converted my '95 2500 to Sport Headlights in 2003 and I was amazed. I would recommend this conversion to anyone. I had to cut a little sheet metal inside with a sawzall, and then I primed the edges of the cuts. I made up a couple of wiring harnesses, and installed two relays, one for the Hi beams and one for the Lo beams. I soldered all the connections. When I pull back on the multifuction switch allllllllll the elements light up and it REALLY illuminates the night. On Lo beam I have 4 headlights burning, and occasionally an oncoming driver will flash me, but not very often at all--maybe once every couple of months.

The brand is Depo. I don't know if they make them anymore, but if not any Sport Headlight set will work. They have a slight bit of clouding on them--need to polish them again I guess.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 AM

I swore I had a pic of it lit up at night, but can't seem to find it. Stock headlights, 2 round fogs in place of where they would be stock (didnt have em before) 2 rectangular fogs in the air dams. 2-4" round tractor lights, normally one side amber, one side red, but I took the 2 reds out and put ambers in, and 4 markers across the bottom of the bumper. I recently put neon on the backside of the bumper to light the grille up. Then a bunch of markers along the sides and tool box, and lights up in each of the fenders

I like the ones you have fisher, i might have to check those out

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got