ONDTR #39 Forum for the Ontario chapter #39

What is everyone up to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is everyone up to?

Haven't had too many new posts in our Ontario chapter. So what the heck is everyone doing, how is your summer going?

I've been working away during the weeks and do whatever on the weekends. This weekend is the Embro Tractor Pulls so I'll be there watchin' for either 1 or 2 days
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 AM

Hi Dinner:

My transmission on my 03 Ram 2500 CTD (quad cab sb 4x4) with 220,000 km is now acting up after a 2500 km camping trip across northern Ontario last week. A mechanic at a local transmission shop (Barrie Transmission) says that the truck is starting in 2nd gear - could be the band is going or gone now. Do you have any recommendations on who to take the truck to for a transmission repair - someone who does a good job for a good price? Someone familiar with the 47RE? I'd prefer to deal with a drive-to shop rather than ship out the transmission to somewhere. I don't drive the truck hard at all. Tow a 3000 lb boat about 5000 km/year and tow a travel trailer 3000 to 8000 km/year.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 PM

I got back last week from out west: 9545KM. I pulled my trailer out to Sparwood BC, back through US. I will post MPG later.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Hmm, There is a fairly big Diesel Performance Shop kinda near you. HotRod Diesel is located around Argyle. They do a whole bunch of different things including installation of ATS Transmission parts. To be honest there aren't too many tranny builders that I know of around southwestern Ontario. You can try giving them a call and see if they are knowledgeable.

However, I also recommend giving Dave a call at Goerend Trans. You don't have to buy parts from him, but he could probably give you a good idea of what your problem is and what you need to do about it.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM

big mack: I know of a place called Alliston transmission they seem to do a pretty good job, they will remove your transmisson for you, and build in accordance to the usage of your truck. (did friends powerjoke and so far it seems to do pretty good) installed new transmission oil pump, clutches, shift kit, billet torque convertor etc... and seemed to have a reasonable price. do you live close to/in barrie??? if so you may have seen my truck around lol.

and yea not much happening here in my neck of the woods, finally modified my truck, and been busy getting a bed switch over ready etc...
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 AM

Hmm, is Alliston a specialty shop, or whatever comes in can be worked on? I'm always up for hearing about performances places to send people too.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM

no alliston transmission is not a specialty shop, there are very few of those around centeral ontario but as as far as I know the fellow that owns the place and does all the work seems to know his stuff.

I personally have never been there, if my transmission breaks, I will either swap in a standard, or rebuild it myself.