12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Rear Axle/Hub Adjusting Nut Size

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Axle/Hub Adjusting Nut Size

Howdy guys. Got a question for y'all ...<br><br>I have a '98 2500, with a Dana 70 LD axle. The hub oil seals are shot, and need to be replaced (the seals are the only complaint I have about the Dana 70!). I started to do the work, but quickly found out that my 2&quot; socket wasn't up to the job. Anybody know what size socket that thing takes? Whoever owned and/or worked on the vehicle before me used the old hammer and chisel method to get the nuts off the spindles. I'd just as soon avoid the same technique if I could, since I don't want to chew the nuts up any more than they are now, and I can't find replacements without going through the dealers (rapists!).<br><br>Thanks!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:18 AM

Re:Rear Axle/Hub Adjusting Nut Size

You should be able to get a socket at any parts supplier...they are just simple, inexpensive things, not fancy. The hammer and chisel is the standard method in most non-DC shops. The nuts are not tight.<br>george
Old 04-10-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nuts are 2 9/16&quot;. Those inexpensive &quot;pipe type&quot; sockets work great. You might need a 1/2&quot;-3/4&quot; drive adapter.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 AM

Texram, you might also want to consider (I know this isn't gonna sound right) updating your axle nut with wedge to the older dual nut with lock ring in between. The axle nuts with the nylon are designed to be a once removed throw it away kind of nut. I have seen two cases personally where two people have, well one has lost his dual wheels and had to have a new spindle welded on, and the other guy was sitting along the highway and I had stopped to help, but he fortunately felt something was wrong before he did too much damage. There was a thread either here or on TDR that other people had the same problem. Hope this helps<br>Rick
Old 04-10-2003, 11:57 AM

Dog,<br><br>Good advice. Do you know off the top of your head what years work? I have a 96 2500 4X4.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:54 PM

The older style is no longer available from D/C. The only one you can get is the the new nylock types. You also have to get the keepers for them (the wedge that goes in the spindle keyway to keep the nut from turning).<br><br>I have seen enough broken off fingers on the old style to make me think twice about trying to reuse one - if the one you try to re-use breaks off and gets in the bearing.......<br><br>BTW - the pipe-style sockets have rounded corners - they do not fit the squared-off corners of the old style double nut with locking tabs.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:22 PM

Thanks for all the good info. Question: where would I be able to get one of the 'pipe' style sockets? That looks like what they're using in the pics in my Haynes manual. The adapter is not a problem.<br><br>As for the locking wedge, I've looked at them, and can make my own (I have access to a pretty good machine shop).<br><br>Once again, thanks!<br><br>Dave
Old 04-10-2003, 09:16 PM

I got mine at NAPA. It was about $25CAN. I bought 2 of the wedges at the dealer for $20 (rip-off!!) and took them back when I didn't need them. I just carefully pulled the old ones out with side cutters and reused them. I checked them at 12,000 Km and they were fine.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:51 AM

vssman, the nuts and locks I switched to on my 98 I got at NAPA the part # is 630-1659, and like redramnc said you DO have to grind the pointed corners and make them round.<br>
Old 04-11-2003, 09:16 AM

JYD what part of pa r u from ?? r u going up to slatington on the 19th ?? im in lancaster co. ( paradise )...later,scott
Old 04-11-2003, 10:39 AM

JYD - thanks for the NAPA p/n - my 78 W200 has the old style and the locking ring is the only thing I am afraid to reuse too many times.<br><br>PS - the dealer wants somehting like $48 shop cost for the set of new nylock nuts and, like somebody else pointed out, the wedges are a ripoff, even at shop price.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:54 PM

I really don't know if you have to get new wedges everytime you pull the hubs, but the nut should be replaced everytime.<br><br>Redram thats a pretty good deal from D/C. I think up here they gave me a price of $37.00 per nut and like 8.00 per wedge , so if there givin you everything for 48.00 that's not bad. As far as the little ears on the lock ring , I know what you mean. I still think it's a &quot;safer&quot; design + it's a proven design. I really can't ever remember seeing someone stranded along the road that lost there sneakers because of the &quot;old&quot; style.<br><br>Dieselcrazy I'm from Pine Grove, North of Myerstown on SR 501
Old 04-11-2003, 04:08 PM

not far we get close to u on our way up 2 tower city
Old 04-11-2003, 06:13 PM

Once again, thanks for the info, guys. I found some Napa parts (replacement nuts and lock wedges, for about $23/set). Now, if I can just get my hands on one of those<br>&quot;pipe-style&quot; sockets....
Old 04-11-2003, 08:01 PM

I got my socket from NAPA. They can order it.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle/Hub Adjusting Nut Size