1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New and Confused (Engine Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New and Confused (Engine Problems)

Hello Everyone,
New to the forum, and but have been creeping for a little while.
I finally have a turbo diesel truck (6.2L K5 before and still). A 1993 w350 dually, and I bought a another engine with it with 130k miles on it. I am currently trying to troubleshoot the engine that is currently in the truck right now. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

So, the syptoms are:

Starts and idles amazingly well. Although, white smoke out the stack.
Once it is in drive it bogs down, and sounds gutless. A noticable drop in RPM.

No power, but revs very well with no load on the engine.

Will dump a big black cloud when you get on the throttle, but the turbo doesn't want to spool up, and again no power. The engine doesn't want to rev up at all.

Also, if you rev the engine up in park it will hold an RPM, and run very smooth. Let off the throttle after a little while, and it begins to "knock" It doesn't sound like a mechanical knock, it sounds more like an air cannon. Appologize I have trouble describing this sound.

Trouble shooting that I have done:

It has the Holset HE351cw turbo off of an 06 cummins on it with DDP stage II Injectors +90 HP. A heavy ramped fuel pin from Denny T. Powerstroke Intercooler with 3 inch air charge tubes.

I have cracked the fuel lines, and was recieving fuel to all cylinders, and then replaced all of the injectors with the stock ones. Same problems as described from above.

Any and all help is appreciated, and let me know if I can provide more information.

Edit: It just hit me (actually I found something on the internets) Could it be the fuel return/overflow valve? I am having trouble finding information on this for the VE pump.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 AM

Might get better info if you repost in the first gen section...
Old 08-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Moved to 1st gen....

Be sure to read the stuck thread near the top of the 1st gen forum called "AKA The Sticky" it has TON'S of info on your particular engine....

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by MotDab
Edit: It just hit me (actually I found something on the internets) Could it be the fuel return/overflow valve? I am having trouble finding information on this for the VE pump.
The VE injection pump uses a fixed orifice fuel return fitting. It includes a built-in filter screen. Never been a problem for folks that I'm aware of.

It also vents any air that might get in the IP, out, and back to the fuel tank.

Name:  7ea66aa3.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  466.5 KB

Name:  ca5c2ef6.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  410.2 KB

When was the last time you replaced the fuel and air filter?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you got two motors

swap the injectors do 3 at a time 1 3 5 start motor 2 4 6 start motor give report.
also use the copper washers from the stock motor just put them on a RED hot stove burner to burn off the old age they'll turn to clean copper again.

I hated my ddp injectors. they went strait to the trash pile real fast.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
You are describing the symptoms of a locked or trashed torque converter, since it revs up in neutral and smokes like a pig in gear I would suspect your torque converter, the converter can load up the engine and even stall it before the turbo lights.

I have had this happen to my truck, my trans was trashed, but it still drove.

Jim
Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Is your waste gate closed? Try tying it shut.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wastegate? Where?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Wastegate? Where?
On the turbo exhaust housing.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Also sounds to me like the stator in the torque converter is locked up. This will cause the converter to be just a poor fluid coupling without any torque multiplication. You know the old saying about not being able to pull a sick "lady of the evening" off a toilet.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Could be not enough air in the left front tire?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
ROFL Diagnostics? What diagnostics?
Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Alrighty. I replaced the fuel filter today, and I found out that the fuel pressure gauge does read... I assume it is correct?.... Anyways I was reading 2 psi, before it hung around 0 so I thought it wasn't working.

Engine ran same as before. White smoke on start up, dump black clouds when I rev it. And put it in gear and I can't go faster then 5 mph (doesn't register till 10 mph on the Speedo so I'm assuming 5mph). I try to get up an incline, and I have to stop, wait a moment and then I can limp it up the hill. When I get on the throttle I am dumping a black cloud. EGTs run around 600F and when I blow smoke and go no where 900F. After a little while of me getting my hopes up that it was improving slowly. The engine started to stutter, and died. I wait a moment with the key on to let the lift pump run, and got back my couple psi of fuel pressure, and started right up. On my way back to the my parking spot I was starting to pull a vacuum. I shut the truck off used the lift pump to build 2 psi of fuel pressure, and I got back to 1 PSI. The white smoke started to die down at idle.
I can build boost if I rev up in park. I did forget to check the waste gate again.

So tomorrow i'm going to check the waste gate for fun, and pull the fuel tank off to punish myself.... There is a little pre filter on that correct? I'm starting to think I have a plugged up fuel line. I'm going to attempt to run the fuel line to a fresh 5 gallon can of diesel to see if it is plugged.

I wouldn't doubt that the TC is junk. but I should be able to rev the engine up when it's in gear, even if I don't go anywhere correct? I didn't think the Autos on these had lock up? Or are you saying it failed and locked up?

Also the air in the front left tire seems to be good, but I kicked it a few time so I could come back and tell you to stop messing with me.

And diagnostics would be helpful right now. It would be nice to have some real tools too.

Again thanks for all the help, and harassment. lol

Edit: Just thought of something... is the lift pump supposed to be running while the engine is running? Because I don't remember hearing it while the truck was running.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Good luck with your T/S efforts.

Did you purchase the Truck/motor with all of those mods? If so, I would be extremely suspect about the motor itself. The huge EGT and black clouds and engine shuddering to a stop and dying point to everything but the trans / tq converter. And the EGTs and black smoke mean that you are getting plenty of fuel/heat. And the giant turbo, and intercooler would mean that that smoke should be cleared up without any issues.

So anyway, I think the PO might have hod-rodded it and melted the pistons etc. Sorry. Can you describe the PO and his Age/Demeanor. AKA was he a kid who wanted to blow black smoke and burn rubber, or an older retired gentleman pulling his fifth wheel.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Try starting out by shifting your transmission manually from low gear, second and then into direct and now see how it moves.
Jim

Quick Reply: New and Confused (Engine Problems)