ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Master rebuild kit for a NP 241 transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Master rebuild kit for a NP 241 transfer case

I want to rebuild my NP 241 transfer case. I can only find a depo out of the states. I want to deal with someone locally. Anykits for upgrades like harder tuffer parts. Its the only part thats not rebuilt on my truck. I thought about putting in 241HD out a 1ton, but then I need new driveshafts cut. Thanks guys...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 AM

I thought I had something in my bookmarks , but only found this .

http://www.transfercases.com/transfer-case-models.htm

http://quad4x4.com/index.html
Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey Mike

Try Brent Carson at Gears to Go driveline in BC.

www.gearstogo.com

I am not sure if they do t-case stuff, but I know he's been really good on my older 4 speeds and so on. He probably has a line on the parts you need.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Hey Mike

There isn't really much in the way of parts in there. The Gear Center over on Blackfoot should have everything you need.

Unless it's trashed, your really only looking at a couple of bearings, a few seals and a chain.

It's a one day job in and out, I've done mine a few times for a re-seal because of leaks.

The one thing to replace no matter what is the rear output shaft retainer C clip. Trust me, been there, not doing it again!!

Jeff
Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I want to rebuild my NP 241 transfer case. I can only find a depo out of the states. I want to deal with someone locally. Anykits for upgrades like harder tuffer parts. Its the only part thats not rebuilt on my truck. I thought about putting in 241HD out a 1ton, but then I need new driveshafts cut. Thanks guys...
Mike....If you rebuild the orginal TC...Remember the snap ring upgrade...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks Dave, that is what I was trying to say but brain farted instead and came up with C clip. I think I'll just go back to watching it snow.....again!!

Jeff
Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homestead
Thanks Dave, that is what I was trying to say but brain farted instead and came up with C clip. I think I'll just go back to watching it snow.....again!!

Jeff

Thats ok......My brain been farting more and more lately also....I think its ok as long as you put in a new c-clip and not re-use the old one.....If I could remember....which I can't...
Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM

Do you have to build driveshafts to swap in a 241HD? I know the rear yoke is different because the output shaft is bigger-but I was always under the assumption that the case was the same physical size. 271 is a different scenario-I think it was 1-1/2" I had to have the rear one shortened-front one stretched enough.

Jason
Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
The Guru

I was told that the T-case chain is wider and the output yokes for the drive shafts are different.

I can feel some looseness occurring when I'm in 4X4mode, so I'm thinking that the chain is stretched some or something is worn on the shafts. I don't want to hurt my whizzy auto tranny by breaking the T-case. It feels a little wobbly and there a vibration occurring either from the front axle or the t-case. The front axle seems to be at a sharper angle than when I didn't have the kore lift installed. I have 240000km on it and its all original, except for the ATF fluid inside.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:55 PM

I saw a upgrade mod , on a site a while back that replaced the snapring that wears into the cover/case , that fixed & kept from happening , I forgot where it was , maybe quad4x4 , but not sure .
Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Yeah, the chain is wider-and the output yoke on the rear is different for sure because the output shaft is larger. But I'm sure that if you had the 2 sitting side-by-side on the bench with the rear yoke in, other than the PTO port on the HD, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I'm trying to find out here with a Google search-because we all know the Internet never lies -but my high speed is giving me fits this afternoon.

The 271 case out of the '03+ trucks makes the 241 look like a Tonka toy-but it's a PITA to get in-as I mentioned before, you have to shorten the rear shaft-and probably should extend the front one. Gets real close to the frame rail as well-I should probably pull mine and use a swinging press to make some more clearance for it. Seemed like a good idea at the time-but I had 427K on the 241HD with zero problems-could have used a chain for sure but still intact with only regular fluid changes.

If you decide to go the 241HD route, make sure you get one from an automatic as the input spline count is different between autos and manuals-and of course get the yoke.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find a definitive answer.

Jason
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
The Guru

Thanks Jason, I'm not really sold on the 241HD, but I like your 271 idea.

Can you rotate the T-case to decrease the angle going to the axles? I've seen it done on tv, and been thinking about trying it out to see if it solves the vibration.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM

I think you can get a clocking ring to allow the t-case to be rotated down. Same bolt pattern across the front of all the common New Process/New Venture transfer cases, so you should be able to use the same ring? Not sure how good it would work in a diesel application with the abundance of torque.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
The Guru

Ya a guy can get carried away with this stuff. The easiest is to just rebuild and put it back in there. I also saw that you can get different u-joint or universal shafts. Stuff that allow more of a loaded angle than stock. The 271 amd shafts should just bolt in there. Does its have electronic locking hubs? Been thinking about going back to the manual, just for the increase in fuel mileage.

I should almost do a go thru the T-case just for kicks and giggles. Probably just take a case of beer to finish one up good.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 AM

It doesn't change anything with the way the front end engages/disengages. Having said that, your truck is an '02, right? Does it have a disconnect on the front diff? Reason I ask is that I couldn't get the 271 to run the '02 electric switch to turn the 4x4 light off and on-so I'm not sure if the rooster comb inside the case has the appropriate positions to run the vacuum switch that slides the disconnect. Although the initial post over on CompD that got me interested in making the swap says that it works just fine.....

Quick Reply: Master rebuild kit for a NP 241 transfer case