Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hungarian Vizsla?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hungarian Vizsla?

Anyone own one or know anyone who does? We're thinking pretty serious about getting one. Seems like a great breed. We have three very energetic boys ages 9, 6 and 4 as of this last week (little ones had birthdays) and they need a dog. We found locals actually from Hungary who have a very small breeding program and we got to meet the parents and their 7 week old pups. Very cool and the research I've done so far has been very positive. They bring the dogs from Hungary to keep the blood pure. He uses them for upland bird hunting bu they make excellant family companions as well so it seems like an excellant "crossover" breed.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM

The few (very few) that I have known are very birdy, a bit high strung and sensitive - not your usual laid back wag-tail Golden Retriever, but a nice dog. Good temperament, though I wold have to think that they might not be suited for households with untrained children. They are very short coated - and they do feel the cold and damp in this area's winters, and prefer being a house dog!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:09 PM

We have one. She is the best.

She is dumber than a box of rocks, but very lovable. Ours is very submissive and would not hurt anyone. We 'kid trained' her since she was a pup. A kid could walk up and yank on her tail and she would turn just around and lick them. We call her Miss Wiggle Butt because her whole body wags when she wags her tail.

She did not like it when we took her up to the snow in Flagstaff. Got cold real quick because the breed has such short hair.
Attached Thumbnails Hungarian Vizsla?-our-vizsla.jpg  
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 AM

Alright, thanks for the comments. I'm mostly familiar with heelers but they don't work so good around the kids' friends so when my last one died we weren't going to get another one although they are my favorite by far. We met a couple who are from Hungary and they raise a few Vizslas where their stock comes from Hungary to keep the bloodline pure. They just had pups out of two of their winners and we are picking one up tonight. Pretty excited and ready for another 12-15 year commitment. The whole family is jacked. The boys have spent quite a bit of time with the puppies over the last few days. There are 11 of them. We have picked out a female. She is 7 weeks and a couple days but already points to the pheasant ploomage on the pole. Pretty cute I must say watching her. We don't ranch anymore in the family so no need for heelers anymore plus I think they would be a little bored with everyday life anyhow. We wanted a kid friendly breed with a short, hypoalergenic coat and nice manners and these seem to fit the bill. We'll see. I'll post some pics once we get her home. Can't wait to start training her.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM

PM me...I've been in the breed doing field trials, hunt tests, show, agility, obedience, hunting and breeding for 11 years now and I'd be happy to talk to you about them. We've got 6 and as long as I've been doing this it always a pleasure to get someone else started out.

Matt Rogers
Vanguard Vizslas
Canal Winchester, OH
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
hypoalergenic coat
They do have short coats but they are not hypoallergenic.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by rogers259
They do have short coats but they are not hypoallergenic.

But the internet said so. Thanks for the info. I'll PM you.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 PM

My cousin has one, and it is one awesome dog. A little high strung, like already mentioned. However, it's very good around kids, and very well behaved (a lot of that is training) but he didn't have to work a whole lot with it.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 AM

I would not describe the breed as "high strung"...border collies are high strung, Vizslas are high drive/energy. I would say on average my dogs run off the atv around 5-6 miles every other day and are out multiple times during the day to run around the back yard.

With 6 dogs we usually only let one out at a time in the house the rest are kept in vari-kennels in the dinning room. Which works out great for us. Everybody gets their time out with us and they are usually curled up on the couch watching tv or playing with a toy/chewing on a bone while they are out.

The breed wants to be with you and doing things with you...they are very intelligent, and very willing to please. They are great with kids I just dont usually recommend them to families with very young children do to their energy...don't want that new toddler being knocked around to much by that licking/waggin machine!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Pictures of the gang

Posting pictures of the Gang:

Roxie - Shiloh's Rock My World, JH, CGC, VC
Just turned 4 broke and running Shooting Dog & Gundog stakes
2006 National Puppy Winner

Reco - Vanguard's Quantum Matrix, JH
18 months old, Out of Roxie's first litter, just started trialing him this fall and he'll most likely be my new stud dog in the years to come...very sweet dog and LOTS of style on point!

Rei - Vanguard's Neon Genesis, JH
18 months old, Out of Roxie's first litter just started trialing her this fall and she's really got a knack for finding birds when everyone else is going birdless. She's going to make a great gundog down the road.

Josie - Tizsabec's Josie of Vanguard, JH
18 months old, Out of Roxie's first litter littermate to Reco and Rei
#4 Puppy/Derby dog in the country pictured with her owner and the placements I put on her this past spring in 5 weekends of trialing. We retired her from Derby stakes to start breaking her for Shooting dog/gundog stakes next spring. Very natural dog with alot of heart/drive/style!

Dusty - Mar-Ed's He Knoz He's A Star, JH, NA, NAJ, RN, CD, CGC
Dusty turned 10 in June and still acts like a 2 year old. He was our first Vizsla and my hunting buddy...he's been the dog we did alittle bit of everything with and he succeeded at it all...of course I screwed him up. Field pointed, show pointed, and alot of titles after his name.

Indy - Vanguard's Apache Knight, JH, CGC
Indy turned 2 in march and was #5 on the top ten puppy/derby list, placed 4th in the 2008 national puppy stake, and currently being broke for shooting dog/gundog stakes.

River - Crimson's Without Remorse, JH, CGC
River is 3 and is really my wifes dog. She's the trouble maker of the group and by far the smartest. She only needs 3 points to finish her show championship and we are breaking her to run in gundog stakes. But mainly my wife runs her in agility. She's extremely fast i've clocked her on a atv doing 38 mph...but a freaking bird machine with a tail that cant stop!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Wow, cool pics. Thanks for sharing. I'll post up some puppy pics later today.

Edited for pics.

Here is our new puppy. Her name is Panna. Wife has all of the papers with her so I can't post her registered name just yet. Her name means favored by God in Hungarian.
Name:  DSC03587.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  145.7 KB

Name:  DSC03595.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  107.0 KB

Last edited by staarma; 09-30-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Edited to add pics
Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Starrma congrats on the new puppy good looking dog
Rodgers - how would this dog be if you took him to work, if i had a dog i could bring him to work, would he go crazy or be okay as long as he got enough excersize i have been thinking about this breed for a bit
thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by joe189man
Starrma congrats on the new puppy good looking dog
Thanks. We're having a ball with her.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM

Joe,

I'd have to say it all a matter of how much obedience work you do with them. My younger dogs get away with a bit more and they are active(curious of their surroundings, want to meet people, etc) but if I put them on a down stay they probably would be ok for a couple hours at work with me. But I'd also bring along a bone or something to help occupy their time. But its like anything else you do with them...the more you do it and the more they get used to it they fall into the routine. Roxie lays under my desk at work all day and doesnt care...she just want to be with me.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Starrma...very cute little girl! Keep posting pictures...Love seeing them as puppies!