1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Hitch Install

I need to set up my dodge with a hitch.

I know there are lots of threads about what types of hitches and .... but I was wondering what you have done to reinforce the rear sector of the frame to accept a hitch on the back of your trucks.

Do you weld in a section to the C-channel and make a box ?

Do you fabricate reinforcement plates that bolt in ?

Big washers ?

Extra steel bars with holes that mount onto the bolts through the hitch ?

or just bolt it in, as I'm sure most manufactures specify to.

Just curious to see what others have done to secure their hitch..... if anything.

TIA
Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bolted it like the manufacturer suggested 20 years ago and have never had a problem
Old 05-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolting it or even welding it onto the frame should be fine I never had a problem with mine and I have tow'd some good weight with it on my old crewcab I had .
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

I bought a curt and bolted it right in. Welding to the frame is frowned on I think, especially with the stresses of a trailer bumping, pulling and pushing.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
The hitch I put on my crew came with these plate washers
Name:  IMG-20120512-00591.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  66.1 KB
Name:  IMG-20120512-00592.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  67.7 KB
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 AM

I'm not happy with the flexing & twisting of the hitch that came on my '92 D350. It looks like the center cross piece is seperate from the frame mounts and slides over stubs on the frame mounts. I have a couple of other frame mounts around but I think they are for older trucks. Does anyone know the frame width measurements on 70's through 90's trucks? It would help me in looking for a better alternative. Thanks, Packratc
Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
The roads up here can get really rough and a few years back I nearly lost the hitch off the back of my truck. The hitch and the back of the frame got bent up. Got the frame straightened up and had a C channel welded in the rear part of the frame after the last bend. The class V hitch was then bolted on, but I made a strap with the nuts welded on it to slip into the now boxed frame.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by packratc
I'm not happy with the flexing & twisting of the hitch that came on my '92 D350. It looks like the center cross piece is seperate from the frame mounts and slides over stubs on the frame mounts. I have a couple of other frame mounts around but I think they are for older trucks. Does anyone know the frame width measurements on 70's through 90's trucks? It would help me in looking for a better alternative. Thanks, Packratc
These are all the trucks that use the same width frame
Name:  IMG-20120513-00596.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
What type hitch are you going to install? Class-IV or Class-V?

I have a Draw-Tite Class-V on mine and it has protected my truck well, it is also bolted to the frame.

Name:  IMG_2389.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  46.0 KB

The torque tube is welded to the side pieces, some I have seen are only bolted together.

Name:  IMG_2394.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  80.5 KB

The steel of the hitch is actually much heavier that the frame rails as are the backup plates and Grade-8 bolts.

Name:  IMG_2392-1.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2391.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2390.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  59.3 KB

A few years ago I was rear ended on the freeway by TWO Nissan/ Toyota trucks, I stopped them from 70-MPH to a dead stop doing only rather minor damage to my truck but totaling both of theirs.

The impact shifted my frame rails 3mm which was easily pulled back.

The rear of my truck is also protected with 8-ton military pintle hitch mounted on a solid steel 6" drop hitch.

I have seen many full size trucks primarily Chevy's driving around with rear end damage with the hitch being bent downward and all twisted like a pretzel

If you are going to use the hitch in an equalizing mode it needs to be strong because up to 1200 lbs of tounge weight needs to be loaded into your frame.

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/default.aspx

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/pro...D=1055+&part=0

Like everything else there seems to be some hitches made of a cheaper quality to the unsuspecting public.

Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane

Jim
My thoughts were:

Class V: 2" Receiver

Draw-Tite offers the Class V 2” Receiver for full-size, long wheel base trucks, vans and utility vehicles. Designed for marine and commercial applications, these receivers are intended for use with vehicles that incorporate full frames and heavy-duty suspensions. All-frame attachment and a robust, heavy duty side bracket design ensure that this Class V 2” receiver is able to handle the toughest treatment you can dish out. The solid all-welded construction delivers maximum strength; Computer-Aided Design (CAD), unique to each manufacturer & model year, ensures perfect fit and top towing performance. Every Class V 2” Receiver features Draw-Tite’s E-Coat base with black powder coat finish for an attractive finish and lasting corrosion resistance.
The Draw-Tite Class V 2” receiver is rated up to 15,000 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) Weight Carrying (WC) capacity and up to 16,000 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) with Weight Distributing (WD) installation. 2” square receiver tube opening. Backed by the Draw-Tite nationwide limited lifetime warranty.

Ultra Frame Receiver
  • Designed for Full-Size Long Wheel Base Trucks, Vans and Utility Vehicles with Full Frames and Heavy-Duty Suspensions
  • Ideal for Marine and Commercial Use
  • Strong, Secure Heavy Duty Side Bracket Design
  • All Frame Attachment
  • 2" Square Receiver Tube Opening
  • E-Coat Base w/ Black Powder Coat Finish
  • Rated up to 15,000 lbs. (GTW) Weight Carrying (WC)
  • Rated up to 16,000 lbs. (GTW) with Weight Distributing (WD)
  • Solid All-Welded Construction for Maximum Strength and Safety
  • Custom Built According to Manufacturer & Model Year
  • Ensures Perfect Fit and Top Towing Performance
  • Computer-Aided Design and Fatigue Stress Testing
  • Designed to Withstand Road Abuse Within Specified Capacities
  • Backed by a Nationwide Limited Lifetime Warranty

Thanks for all the good info, BTW.

T.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Although it really hurts your shins when you run into my hitch, I usually leave my pintle open when I drive around town, it does a lot of destruction to the front of cars that park too close or like to tailgate, it also keeps my shiny bumper from getting scratched.

Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the frame width photo. Anwered my question perfectly. My present hitch is one of those that is mentioned as the torque tube being bolted to the mount. Thanks again, Packratc
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane

I have a Draw-Tite Class-V on mine and it has protected my truck well, it is also bolted to the frame.

The torque tube is welded to the side pieces, some I have seen are only bolted together.

The steel of the hitch is actually much heavier that the frame rails as are the backup plates and Grade-8 bolts.

A few years ago I was rear ended on the freeway by TWO Nissan/ Toyota trucks, I stopped them from 70-MPH to a dead stop doing only rather minor damage to my truck but totaling both of theirs.

The impact shifted my frame rails 3mm which was easily pulled back.

The rear of my truck is also protected with 8-ton military pintle hitch mounted on a solid steel 6" drop hitch.

I have seen many full size trucks primarily Chevy's driving around with rear end damage with the hitch being bent downward and all twisted like a pretzel

If you are going to use the hitch in an equalizing mode it needs to be strong because up to 1200 lbs of tounge weight needs to be loaded into your frame.

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/default.aspx

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/pro...D=1055+&part=0

Like everything else there seems to be some hitches made of a cheaper quality to the unsuspecting public.

Jim
That is a really nice looking hitch. The thing I see better about that one than some other class V hitches is it puts pressure directly under rail of the frame rather than to the inside where there is less support.

My 92 has a ripped frame from being overloaded and letting the front crush up and rear pull down. I'll be cutting the rear section of my parts truck frame to double up the rear hitch area. I was going to use a curt but after seeing how that drawtite mounts that looks better. May beef it up a little more but thats the current plan.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM

T I had mine boxed and used the factory hitch and plate washers. Works great so far.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned

I was hauling heavy with my '91. The Class V hitch buckled on the side plates, and it bent the truck's frame down. It even pulled the bolts through the frame with the square washers.

I have it fixed better than ever now. Writeup is on TDR. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it, but you can search under "1st Gen Suspension Improvements".

--Eric

Quick Reply: Hitch Install