3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hard to start!!Grid Heater??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to start!!Grid Heater??

A couple days ago i started to notice my truck would crank a little bit longer with each start, the next day i went to crank it up and it cranked for about 5 or 6 seconds before it started and got worse all day. So i ran the rest of that tank out of it, put a new fuel filter, filled up at valero and added some lucas injector and...Yes it still does it, though it did cut the cranking time a second or so. So could the grid heater be out, or would it cause this behaviour.(average temp. round here is about 70) Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How cold is it where you're at? If the heater grid was malfunctioning, it would olny give you starting problems if it was cold out side. So I wouldn't think that's it. I think you're on the right track with the fuel, though. Sometimes it take awhile to clean all of the bad fuel out. I'd also check the fuel pressure after the lift pump. Maybe the LP is on a slow death path.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM

If it runs ok, and it's just having a hard time "cranking" over. I would also check the batteries.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM

At 70 degrees you don't need the grid heater one bit. Look for another problem.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is becoming common with the early 3rd gens now. Seeing more and more posts with this issue. First thing to check is make sure the batteries and battery terminals are good.
Next is the injectors. A leaking injector will also cause a hard starting due to the lower than normal rail pressure for starting.

MikeyB
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM

The grid heaters don't cycle untill the temperatures fall below 60* F. I see your daytime temps are in the upper 60's and lows are somewhere in the 40's. The grid heater probably not cycling during the daytime. Should be able to see the dash volt meter drop if starting the truck in the morning, I am assuming you are getting the wait to start light. Must be nice to be where it stays above freezing . Sometimes with my truck in the garage I will forget to wait and just fire it up and starts right up (temps somewhere in the 30's). Probably not the grid heater.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM

I've started mine at 20 degrees with out waiting for the grid heater and it fired right up like normal.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:08 PM

DBLR-same here i used to be able to just jump in and crank it up at 25-30 without ever lettin them cycle, and now it takes 5-10 seconds to crank at 80*
Old 02-13-2008, 07:53 PM

wait....the "wait to start" is only an option? you dont have to actually wait?

I am gonna lean towards injectors on ya, but thats only because thats whats wrong with mine, I have been chasing the problem for a good three months now and finally got it narrowed down to leaking injectors (DBLR is my witness. he has read almost every post of mine complaining about hard starts, and no starts). taker to a shop, have it flow tested, might save you some sleep.

good luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 PM

How cold was it? Heck my truck's grid heater is MIA but the truck still starts on first crank at Donner Pass summit a month ago.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Took mine to the dealer today..........still under warranty and tryin to get everything I can from the Goat Boys!! They said no codes were showing.........duh..............and they couldn't get the problem to re-create while at the shop............................NOW WHAT!!!!! Same problem as discussed in this thread, every now and then for about 2 months now, problems on the start. Doesn't matter if it's cold (30 or below) or warm outside. Or if the engine itself is cold or been running. The worst it's been is 3 misses and then, finally a hit..............WHAT TO DO............????????
Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by ian515
wait....the "wait to start" is only an option? you dont have to actually wait?
Are you serious? Yeah, I almost never wait for that light. I really only wait when it gets into the 40's around here.......which is almost never.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM

I generally give respect to the light... Figure it's there for a reason but don't wait till it turns all the way off usually.

I've cranked it many a time without waiting too.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Are you serious? Yeah, I almost never wait for that light. I really only wait when it gets into the 40's around here.......which is almost never.
yeah, I had no idea. I had the same theory as above, I figured it was there for a reason. but it totally makes sense that you dont have to, thats just the light for the grid heaters, right? and those only operate at below 60, correct?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Well if you live where it gets Cold, I'm talking about temps colder then +10 degrees all the way down to -45 below zero (not the some what cold temps above 20 degrees) you bet we wait for the grid heater to shut off before we start our engines.

Quick Reply: Hard to start!!Grid Heater??