1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getrag guys: how does this look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getrag guys: how does this look?

this is my shifter stub. i seem to be having an issue where particularly in 3rd and 4th gear, the shifter seems to "over-shoot" the "gate" in the transmission. it will shift into 3rd gear, but the shifter will keep going and end up "past and outside" the "gate". it is the about impossible to get it back to its proper location, and usually requires taking the snap ring out and removing the stub. this has become a month long issue, and the truck is not able to leave the shop since.
it seems as though the end of the stub has been rounded off, and thus can go past the "gate". i was thinking i could weld a little more material onto the end, squaring it off a little, making it not slip out anymore?

picture 1-the shifter stub as it sits:
picture 2- the little red spots are where i thought i could build up missing material?

more to come in next post
Attached Thumbnails getrag guys: how does this look?-003.jpg   getrag guys: how does this look?-stub.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 PM

part 2
the parts that i have painted red seem to be much shorter (1/8"+) than the parts that have yellow on them. the blue dots represent where the end of the shifter ends up when it goes beyond its "gate"

i hope i am calling the parts what they are supposed to be called. the "gates" are what the end of the shifter engages in the transmission. they form the box that the stub is "supposed" to stay in.
Attached Thumbnails getrag guys: how does this look?-hole.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine looked about like that when I rebuilt it, but I never had an issue shifting it. I thought it might be bad, but new pins in the side of the cup made mine tight again. Just a theory here: maybe the ball and cup are worn down a ways and its allowing the whole stub to move up in relation to the "gates" thus the shifter moves over the gate and gets stuck. Making the stub a little longer may help. I have never heard of this, but could one just put a washer between the snap ring and top of the cup to move the whole stub down a little to remedy this? Or are the sides of the stub worn down enough that it is sliding around the gate and getting stuck? If its going around, then adding some metal where you marked would help I think. I didn't look at mine close enough to remember how deep it sits in the gates.

Aaron
Old 01-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
A picture of a nice shiny new one with -0- miles would be nice to compare to.

I am curious myself if the one you picture is quite worn, or almost like new.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM

does anoyone know if the end of the stub is flat, or more of a ball? every picture i can find online of a shifter stub is kind of "ball-shaped", though i cannot actually find a g360 shifter
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I'll try and take a pic of my Shifter stub out of my low miles '93, but honestly my guess would be you have top cover/shift rail issues
Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM

i think i would pull the shift cover and get it in a vice and have some one run it thru the gears while i watched from underneath to see whats going on. most shifters i have pulled over the years if i remember right look rounded like that.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM

i have the cover off and in a vise so that i can watch from underneath. my biggest problem seems to be when shifted into 5th, the stub will pass betwen the 5/R gate and the 3/4 gate, and end up in no mans land. b/c the top cover is not bolted to the trans, the shifts forks/rails can rock back and forth (since the forks are not engaged with the syncros), creating what i think is a larger than normal gap bewteen the gates; so i dont know if i am gaining anything by doing it like this.

I had the whole top cover taken apart this weekend. all the shift rails are tight/not sloppy in their bores, the detent springs/cups/***** are all there, working, and moving nicely. all the roll pins are tight, and the holes in the forks/rails are perfectly round.

Does anyone know if the "gates" are available new anywhere?

I can push my shifter stub down about 1/8" more after the holder-thingie and snap ring are installed-does this seem excessive, or normal.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM

are the little nylon parts still on the shifter forks, they are the ones that touch the shift collar. maybe a crack or bent shifter fork. sorry just trying to think of the things i have ran into over the years. how much slack does the shifter fork have when held against the shift collar in its proper spot.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 AM

i do not think there are any "nylon parts" on my shift forks. i did not know there were supposed to be. can someone further explain?

how does one check the slack btwn the fork and collar, when the cover is installed?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EClancy
does anoyone know if the end of the stub is flat, or more of a ball? every picture i can find online of a shifter stub is kind of "ball-shaped", though i cannot actually find a g360 shifter
I purchased a new shift lever from the dealer several years back for my 'rag 91... I cant recall if the stub looked rounded like that or not, but you could prob have the dealer order one in and compare them.. I seem to think it was around $90 for the shifter...
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there round like that the nylon cup is more then likely allowing the shifter to come up. cant really tell but your pin on the left looks worn? there might be just wear on the forks to let it slide past the gates. also check spring tension on slides and detentes one of them might be moving with the other
Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 AM

could you post a photo of the shifter fork and the shift collar. most manual trans i have been in have a nylon piece attached to the shifter fork so there is no metal to metal contact. i have not been thru a getrag so i may be wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 AM

shift forks
i dont see any nylon, but thats not to say it hasnt been worn off.
what are the symptoms of worn shift forks?
Attached Thumbnails getrag guys: how does this look?-001.jpg   getrag guys: how does this look?-002.jpg   getrag guys: how does this look?-004.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Here is a pic of a new forks, no nylon on them in the Getrag
Attached Thumbnails getrag guys: how does this look?-getragforks.jpg  

Quick Reply: getrag guys: how does this look?