1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fire Slots Vs. "O" Ringed heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Fire Slots Vs. "O" Ringed heads

Is there a difference between fire slots and o ringed heads? I know what o ringing heads is because of my gasser past, but fire slots are something I have only heard about since my conversion to the dark "smokey" side!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe you are thinking of fire rings.. or C rings... When using a fire ring you cut out the stock fire ring on the gasket.. or the area around the cylinder.. you are just using the gasket to seal the oil and water... I can't remember if you can get by with just cutting the block or the head for the fire rings... The C rings are of the same idea as the fire rings.. but shaped more like a C with the opening to the cylinder.. the idea is that with more cylinder pressure it will try to expand the C ring and help seal in the pressure..
Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JDGnut
I believe you are thinking of fire rings.. or C rings... When using a fire ring you cut out the stock fire ring on the gasket.. or the area around the cylinder.. you are just using the gasket to seal the oil and water... I can't remember if you can get by with just cutting the block or the head for the fire rings... The C rings are of the same idea as the fire rings.. but shaped more like a C with the opening to the cylinder.. the idea is that with more cylinder pressure it will try to expand the C ring and help seal in the pressure..
Fire rings are to be cut in both the head and the block.

P.S. Bryan if you know of any sled pulls in the west texas area let me know I just got a new job in Odessa and NEED to find some sled pullers and what not round that area.

thanks Jake
Old 11-10-2006, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,
Here's what O-rings look like in my 24valve head. They only protrude .010 to .020" and they apply more pressure to the head gaskets stock firering area for more holding force.

Fire rings are larger and require at the minimum grooves cut into the head, although to do it right both the head and block should have grooves cut into them. The head gasket firering area is removed to make room for the soft steel or copper rings.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
So then, fire rings are in the head and block, and o-rings are usually just the head. Is that the difference? Do you use a copper wire in fire rings also?
On gassers we would cut a circular groove in the head and then put a piece of copper wire in there. Sounds like the same thin you guys are describing.

Whenever I get around to doing head studs I would like to (at least) o-ring the heads, just to be sure I don't get a leak in the future. I can't make enough cylinder pressure with my current setup to pop a head gasket, but I'm trying to get my GT35 upgraded and for staged duty.