3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Drivers seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers seat

yesterday when I was getting on the throttle, my lumbar support in my seat broke. Has this ever happend to anyone?

Is it easy to fix or do I have to get a new seat??
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM

There was a thread on this awhile back ..... try a search to see if you can find it
Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM

www.innertruck.com/lumbarrepair/ This might help.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:31 AM

thanks I will take the seat apart and see what is wrong. I do not have a powered lumbar but prolly the same concept.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Use the SEARCH function.Not long back I think someone was hunting the ONE part that breaks on the manual lumbar.Parts folks kept trying to sell him the whole$$ seat back.Someone else came up with the part number needed for I think under $50
Old 03-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is the 06+ trucks that the dealer wants to sell a new seat back for. The 03-05 trucks just need a $60 lumbar support replacement that can be bought from the dealer and installed in less than half an hour with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Once you get the part, take your seat back fabric off and the install will be self explanatory.

Side note: the part needed for the 06+ trucks is exactly the same as the 03-05. Those of you with 06+ trucks, don't let the dealer sell you a $400 seat back.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM

thanks for the info, I will have to get ahold of the dealer on monday...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM

The dealer is giving me the run around and trying to tell me that the only option is to by a new seat back. Dose anyone have the part number for the lumbar suport?? that would be cool if I could get that from some body. somebody said there was an earlyer post about it but I am having trouble finding it...
Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 AM

Orignaly all lumbar parts were a seat back only.As they failed Chrysler finally came up with the part only to repair as they were under warranty and it was cheaper to do this of course(they sell it back to themselves) I bet its not a legit part number and a parts manager at a Dodge store has to get in touch with his PARTS REP to get the part or the number that needs to be used to get it.I think that previous post was about the manufacture of that part.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the one for my dad's '05 from the parts counter at the local dealership. sorry, i don't have the receipt. if i can manage to get back to that dealership I will ask them for that part number.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:07 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=lumbar&page=2

Page 2 has the part number...
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 PM

Thank you Truckman0097 I will take that part number and call the dealer.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by justin allan
Thank you Truckman0097 I will take that part number and call the dealer.
Dont thank me, I just found the thread - good luck and let us know how it goes - if the number works or not...
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM

It looks like it's been over a year since someone has updated this thread, so i'll go ahead and add my two cents for a quick $0.99 cent repair to probably the most frequent issue for breaking manual lumbar supports.

I hopped up into my 2005 Dodge Ram last night and felt my manual lumbar support give way. The problem was that the white plastic spinner inside the black housing broke at the point where it surrounds the tension pin (you'll understand exactly where all these points are once you see them).

I did an online search for repair and the best option i found was to hand over $40.00 for a new lumbar mechanism. My wife is a checkbook **** so i knew i was on a tight budget -- which most times forces creativity.

This problem can be fixed simply with an eye bolt and nut... more specifically: a $0.99 pack from Home Depot: #8-32 x 1-5/8" eye bolt.

Basically, for those that already know more than i did about the mechanism, all you're doing is creating a new hole for the tension pin with the eye bolt.

If you're not much of a fix-it guru (i'm certainly not), don't be shy when disassembling the lumbar mechanism because it's not a difficult fix. Here's how i did it on my 2005 Ram (and i don't know technical jargon, so forgive the simple language):

-Remove the adjustment ****. Mine just pulled off.
-Remove the black trim under the **** (2 screws).
-Carefully remove the white housing (2 screws; this will be under the seat fabric, so carefully remove).
-Twist the white, plastic tension screw. This is actually a two-piece mechanism. If it twists freely until it comes out, then you've found your problem; you'll see the end of this plastic hardware broken and missing half the housing that surrounds the tension pin.
-HERE'S WHERE YOU USE THE EYE BOLT: Unscrew the two white plastic screws. In the middle of the groove where the tension pin rests, drill a hole (large enough for the bolt) straight through the broken plastic screw. Insert the eye bolt until the eye portion rests along the groove in the screw. Place and tighten the nut on the other end of the eye bolt that's protruding from the end of the plastic screw. Reconnect the two plastic screws.
-Tilt the seat as far forward as you can. Under the back portion of the seat you'll find an access point to the seat guts. Carefully pull the the locking strip apart and fold the fabric up until you can clearly see the lumbar mechanism on the backside.
-From the side of the seat where you've removed the adjustment mechanism, push the release tab and twist the black cylindrical mechanism so that you now can access this part from the back of the seat.
-Push the tension pin out of one side of the lumbar strap and fully out of the black housing.
-Insert the plastic screw mechanism with new eye bolt into the black housing (eye bolt first)... you see where i'm headed with this now, don't you?
-Push the tension pin back through the black housing, MAKING SURE IT FINDS ITS WAY THROUGH ITS NEW, METAL RIGID HOME, and back through the lumbar strap.
-Push and twist the black mechanism back into the seat housing.
-Fold the seat fabric down and reconnect strips.
-Replace white housing, making sure to carefully push it under the fabric.
-Replace black trim.
-Replace ****.
-Enjoy a beer (or two) and give your wife some flowers with the money you've saved.