1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Question Buzzer

Does anybody know where the reminder buzzer is located under the dash? It is the one that is supposed to buzz when you forget the keys in the ignition.
Mine stopped working and I cannot remember where I heard the sound come from so I can find the darn thing.
My truck is a 1991 D-350
Thanks Jim.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a bad fuse. The buzzer is under the dash next to the other buzzers. Turn your lights on, ignition off, and open your driver side door. That should make the lights on door open or whatever buzzer come on, locate the source of the buzzer, you'll be right there for the rest of the buzzers.. its more than likely a fuse or something else. I wouldn't worry about it. I unplugged mine, only buzzer I left operational is the lights left on buzzer.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Administrator

I already tried checking the fuses and they are ok. That is the problem, nothing buzzes so I can find the darn thing. the lights on/ ? and the key in the ignition/ door open don't workie.
I could not figure why I kept leaving my keys in the ignition when I got out of the truck and I finally figured it was the buzzer not working. Man I hope I am not having one of those senior things .
I think the buzzer might serve both functions if I only knew where to look.
Thanks. Jim
Old 07-01-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
There is only one buzzer. Mine is in my glovebox. I think it was plugged into the fuse block under the steering wheel . . . but it has been a while since I pulled it out.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 AM

Could it be the switch in the door is no longer working?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second on the door switch. My light wouldn't work when I opened the drivers side door, but the buzzer did. Door switch was broken, no surprise there.

Mine was plugged into a plug to the left of the radio(I think, its been awhile)

The very first mod I did was the 'buzzer in the glovebox' mod.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My FSM says "right of steering column". So it's gotta be between the column and the radio.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:58 PM

mine is right where wanna is saying... if i get a chance i'll see if i can span a pick of it.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Took my keys..

Originally posted by wannadiesel
My FSM says "right of steering column". So it's gotta be between the column and the radio.

wannadiesel,
Thank you, thank you, thank you.... I finally found it right where you said, well sort of.
See when I installed my alarm I took it to work and parked it the underground and for about 4 hours I was on my back with my head stuck under the dash repairing all the wiring under the dash of all the previously aborted attemps of the last owner. All of the wiring after I got it ok then went into split loom and tied up so it does not dangle around your feet.
I found the buzzer sort of hidden behind the loom. If you look at your dash and see the ash tray, then you follow the left side up under the dash and you will see a black module with a big connector. This is NOT it, but is the wiper interverlameter (intermittant timer) but might not be here on basic trucks. Anyhow, pull this straight down and it will unsnap from the bracket, then look up ontop of this bracket and you have to FEEL for the buzzer, it is on a bayonet mount so rotate it 90* either direction and then lift it out on the mount. It then will drop down and you can disconnect the haress.
This thing is bright yellow about 1 1/2" X 3" and serves multiple purposes. Inside the case there are 2 buzzer assemblys and a thermal timer. I found a broken wire from the coil and resoldered it to repair the unit. This wire is prob. about .005 dia. or the size of a human hair. I reinstalled it and after replacing the 20 amp fuse I poped when I hit the bracket, now my buzzer works. I went to the store tonight and I remembered to take the keys..
I am going to do a little upgrade on this buzzer, my idea is to tie into the ckt. and have it power a blue 5000mcd LED and pulse it about 400 hertz and mount it in the dash so it is in your viev and hits you about eye level if you were about 1/2 way out of your truck.
This should definately get your attention.

Again, Thank you all for your replies.
Jim..
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Gees... five years old. Anyway I've got a problem with my drivers door light/buzzer switch. The two cab lights would come on along with my buzzer with the key in the ignition. Now only the buzzer comes on but no cab lights. The passenger door still activates the lights. Is the switch easy to pull out and replace or just see if a wire on the back side is broken? Now I'm forgetting to turn off the cab light from the headlight/dimmer switch. Need to get it figured out. Thanks. -Kevin
Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 PM

Thats the first thing i pulled out from under my dash when i bought my truck. I hate them things! if you need another one Jim i'll mail you mine.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC it grounds the circuit when the door is closed. when the switch pushed in (by the door) it makes a connection to the cab frame, providing ground. If there is an electrical problem, the first place to start is the ground. Take it apart and see if it is dirty and not getting a good connection.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
The door switch GROUNDs the interior light(s); the feed wire going to the light is always HOT with the GROUND wire being the switched wire.

I HATE anything that buzzes/dings/flashes, so all of that stuff is first to go; although I do intend to wire the loudest buzzer I have into the low vacuum warning circuit of my trailer brakes just for the "COOL" factor, waiting for the vacuum level to build until the buzzer stops, just like the air-brake warning on a big truck.

I removed TWO buzz-boxes from one of our Dodges, a blue one and a yellow one, both mounted in the same area as JIM already described.

I mounted a toggle switch in the interior light circuit (also the under-the-hood light) so that I can kill power to the interior lights when I want to have the door open without the light being ON.

On my Ford, I just un-plugged the wires from the door switches; I dislike the cab lighting up when I open a door; if I want the lights ON, I will turn them ON.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
IIRC it grounds the circuit when the door is closed. when the switch pushed in (by the door) it makes a connection to the cab frame, providing ground.

All is correct except when the door OPENS the circuit is made; closing the door breaks the circuit.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 PM

i had to bypass my buzzer for the keys because i had to brake the the lock and the truck thinks there are keys in all the time

Quick Reply: Buzzer