Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

building my own trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
building my own trans

well after many calls and talking to anyone i can get some info from, i have decided to build my own tranny. i purchased the manuals, a converter is on the way and i am still wavering on the rebuild kit. i think i will put in a billit input/drum. i just can't spend 5k for a trans. it is just not possible with a wife at the house and 3 kids. and i really enjoy learning new stuff. and i am so ready to put on a set of twins it is killing me. so i will keep everyone informed on how it goes. mike
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 AM

Good luck with the rebuild. If you have access to a digital camera, take lots of pictures. I've always wanted to do the same but was/am to afraid to start.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Yes like vssman said!!!

Also, you should start a post about this truck project of yours, it sounds cool and should be the sweet when done.

thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 12:51 PM

No Kidding!!!

after I bought mine I continued to do more research and talked ot more people and then decided I could have done it for less than half what I paid. Well maybe half, I got a preaty good deal.

Bummer

Keep us informed,

dan
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 PM

HERE'S a place I like to use for some nice upgraded parts.
Good Luck.

Brad
Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Go for it! I saved tons of money rebuilding my own stuff. My only advice is to have a nice clean area (obviously) and lay everything out in sections because doing it the first time sometimes you can remember where everything is supposed to go.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:19 PM

In fact if you have a video camera I often video the internals as I am taking them apart for the first time to ensure I have all the information.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM

well i figure i can put it together with good parts. a new triple disk converter that i am having built to stall at 1900 and a billet input and drum for less than 2k total. and this is for the upgraded clutch packs, band and the hd strut. i am still at a wash on a few thing but i will figure it out before i pull it apart. mike
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a 47re torn down and cleaned up in the garage right now. I haven't had time to make any parts calls either. Started driving through the lock up clutch in OD a couple weeks ago while pulling the race rig.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:34 AM

wow you think you will spend 2k on it all.. wow i spent less then 1.5k and i ended up rebuilding it twice due to the input shaft shattering.......buy the tranny rebuild ket from a local tranny shop... if they are not a edit you should be able to pick up the complete rebuild kit for around 70.00 dollars which will include everything from gaskets to steels to clutchs..... then the upgraded servos, bands, other parts should only run you about 300 dollars......oh yeah get a book on rebuilding the ole 727 trannys it is the same exact housing...

Edited by Admin. Please refrain from using bad language in the forums.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:37 AM

ps....dont be afraid it is really hard to mess these trannys up when rebuilding them.. they are like the back of a computer only certain size parts will fit in certain areas.... I have since rebuilt 4 of these locally for some fellas for low price....
Old 01-13-2006, 06:39 AM

Ok so whith out starting an argument. What would be done to increase the torque capacity of the tranny? I have rebuilt a couple 727's as well. I just started thinking about doin gthis as well, since it would be quicker than trying to save the $$ up. So of course a TC, either a valve body or a shift kit and what else? Raise the line pressure, and what is done that allows the fluid to recirulate in park the same it does in neutral? I plan on using it with an exhaust brake so I have to take that into account as well. I havent researched a whole lot on the mods performed. Keep up updated on how it goes.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2500CTD
Ok so whith out starting an argument. What would be done to increase the torque capacity of the tranny? I have rebuilt a couple 727's as well. I just started thinking about doin gthis as well, since it would be quicker than trying to save the $$ up. So of course a TC, either a valve body or a shift kit and what else? Raise the line pressure, and what is done that allows the fluid to recirulate in park the same it does in neutral? I plan on using it with an exhaust brake so I have to take that into account as well. I havent researched a whole lot on the mods performed. Keep up updated on how it goes.
The manual valve is machined to unload the engine at idle in park. I think that the kit comes with a different valve to fix that. Be sure to keep the clearances on the low side of factory settings.
If you wonted perhaps a master overhaul kit, billet apply servo, converter from how ever, I think that a 89h from who ever would work, valve body or a kit, safer perhaps to have the valve body allready done and tested. There are other pieces like the strut, drum out of the 48 re, ( one more fricton) .
There are guys that post on here that have built there own transmission, I use to rebuild stock gm transmission 25 years ago when I was a line mechanic for gm after I got out of auto and Diesel tech school. I also build a 727 that was installed in a 68 charger with a 426 marine wedge.
It might be a lot easer to just give Georend a call . good luck JimK
Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 AM

If you were going for one of the full kits, it looks like goerends would be cheaper as you get a great TC too. It would also be installed in the case for ya too!!

Travis
Old 01-13-2006, 11:37 AM

you can buy all different grades of clutchs and seal, and adding more clutchs in the direct and overdrive portion of the trans. it is just like anything else. abd the band and strut upgades, also the lever arms to apply more pressure.

Quick Reply: building my own trans