1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Brake Booster

Got one leaking, hiss under the dash, not much for brakes at idle.

Any advice on a replacement? What to avoid, good one to get, etc.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Geesh, everything crapping out at once on you?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Geesh, everything crapping out at once on you?
With two 21 year old trucks and a 21 year old rice burner, plus a 25 year old light 4x4, I expect some maintenance issues. The Dodges always start and haul freight when asked, even if they're a little under the weather.

This one's been used mostly for short haul firewood and dirt. Been ignoring the hiss for months. It looks like a friend needs it to haul his camper, so I'm getting motivated to catch up on things a bit.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Bought a Napa one , on a year so far and no issues. Measured for free play adjustment so brakes wouldnt drag bang on out of the box . Masking and painting it took longer than installing it.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydroboost from a 2nd gen
Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
reman boosters are great, reasonable priced
Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 PM

With the help of a friend tracked down an OEM one. It's out in a shed if it exists, and the dealer wants $346 +S&H for it. Who knows what diaphragm debilitating atmosphere it's been in all these years.

I can sort through a few BrakeBest reman units for that. It'll have a lifetime warranty. Who knows what diaphragm debilitating
Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by j_martin
With the help of a friend tracked down an OEM one. It's out in a shed if it exists, and the dealer wants $346 +S&H for it. Who knows what diaphragm debilitating atmosphere it's been in all these years.

I can sort through a few BrakeBest reman units for that. It'll have a lifetime warranty. Who knows what diaphragm debilitating
Good luck with it. I do recommend you stay away from Cardone brand reman units, which were the only reman units I could find when I was looking. Some 3+ years ago, after my Cardone booster failed in less than four weeks, I found and purchased an OEM unit. Although expensive, it has performed perfectly, and has potentially saved me the labor of replacing a reman every few months...
Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by james1
Good luck with it. I do recommend you stay away from Cardone brand reman units, which were the only reman units I could find when I was looking. Some 3+ years ago, after my Cardone booster failed in less than four weeks, I found and purchased an OEM unit. Although expensive, it has performed perfectly, and has potentially saved me the labor of replacing a reman every few months...
Thanks, Jim, for your help and concern. It looks like I'll go with Oreilly's BrakeBest unless I get a big negative rise here first. I've had pretty good luck with Oreilly's house brands, and it's 20 bucks cheaper than NAPA.

It's hard to justify over $300 for a beater that is likely going to be a parts truck soon. It runs good, but if you could throw the cat through it with the doors closed. It's pretty amazing, the windows still operate like a guillotine, and everything works except cruise.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Bought a NAPA booster and put it in. Brake light switch got mashed to always on. Booster doesn't stop pedal return when it should .
2 days wait for a replacement. Couple hours time and a rattle can of black paint wasted.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Well I guess we have second vote on not using the NAPA ones. I will probably go with the booster, and MC combo through O'Reillys when I need to replace mine.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well I guess we have second vote on not using the NAPA ones. I will probably go with the booster, and MC combo through O'Reillys when I need to replace mine.
The only things that I will buy from NAPA don't have any moving parts.
That would be bolts and only if they are the only one that has them.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM

I'm going to check the next one out, throw it in and test it for a week before I bother painting it. Got it down to about 20 minutes in and out.

First time was tough. Had to have the DW stand on the brakes while I beat on the master cylinder with a rubber hammer to get it to let go from the booster. I cleaned it up with sandpaper and put a real thin coat of SilGlyde on it before I put it up to the new booster.

I have a new Bendix master cylinder to put in. I'm going to wait till I do some other brake work if I can before I install it, mostly to be sure all the bleeders are free.

Does anybody know where I can buy a 9/16" -20 (not 18) inverted flare nut, either 3/16" or 1/4" tube?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Nughuffer
Hydroboost from a 2nd gen
If I were at that point I would sure seriously consider the Hydro boost.
I put one in my jeep whit braded hoses the pedal feel is rock solid and with almost twice the line pressure.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
If I were at that point I would sure seriously consider the Hydro boost.
I put one in my jeep whit braded hoses the pedal feel is rock solid and with almost twice the line pressure.
This one ain't worth it unless I happen to find a decent body for it.

Quick Reply: Brake Booster