3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Black Smoke from Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Smoke from Exhaust

I might have searched for this incorrectly or I might be in the wrong forum, but my Dodge in the sig has a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust. It is very noticeable when I'm shifting and once in the gear (all of them)the smoking will stop when I'm around 1400rpms or higher. I thought it was normal, but it has gotten progressively worse. Where do I need to start looking to get this problem fixed or is this a dealer issue. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Check your fuel filter number 1, and with you manual if your shifting at low RPM's it may just be putting a load on the motor and making it smoke, i would start by just checking the fuel filter and the other guys on here will have more info
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your intercooler piping and rubber boots for any air leaks. Could be a boost leak starving your engine for air. Did you get the truck used? Any idea if the previous owner may have done some power modifications? They might have done something to the fuel and timing for more power. Do you have any P codes?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM

I purchased it brand new.. will check filter, how do I check for p codes? I can search if easier than explaining. No power mods, I have a smarty jr, but all I did was adjust the tires. Currently I'm getting the same mileage as before so not noticing anything if I do have a problem. I'm not really all that mechanically inclined on this stuff, but I will give it a good once over on looking for air leaks.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM

sounds like mine. people think i'm chiped but i'm not.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM

i believe (and someone correct me if im wrong) that your smarty can check for codes, and if not there is always the key trick. Turn the key to the on and off position three times quickly and watch your odometer, if there is a code it should show it, if there is no code it will just say done.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM

When I put the junior on I ge a puff of black smoke if I change gear too early. Try revving to about 2000 when empty before changing gear. with a heavy load on she spools the turbo up faster and seems to be less of a smoke problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:43 PM

No P codes, and I will change fuel filter just for kicks hopefully this weekend. I have about 96,000 miles and this had started roughly around 93,000 and it has gotten more noticeable. I just thought it odd for it to start doing it now. I have not had a chance to check the intercooler piping and rubber boots yet.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Smarty has to be VIN locked to adjust tires, so what setting is it on?

How is your air filter? Black smoke means too much fuel for the air so it's more likely to be an air filter than a fuel filter.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
The Smarty has to be VIN locked to adjust tires, so what setting is it on?

How is your air filter? Black smoke means too much fuel for the air so it's more likely to be an air filter than a fuel filter.
This.
You must be running some level on the Smarty. I know mine smokes more on any SW level.
I also second the air filter. What are you using and when was it last cleaned or changed?

I would also check the oil level to be sure you are not "making" oil. A leaking injector can cause fuel to get by the rings and fill the crank case.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by vcoyle
I purchased it brand new.. will check filter, how do I check for p codes? I can search if easier than explaining. No power mods, I have a smarty jr, but all I did was adjust the tires. Currently I'm getting the same mileage as before so not noticing anything if I do have a problem. I'm not really all that mechanically inclined on this stuff, but I will give it a good once over on looking for air leaks.
If that Smarty Jr is set on TM4 she'll smoke just as you saying. Mind does, doesn't matter which SW setting I choose. Love the Jr but the smoke on 4 is tough.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Smarty JR is on SW1 and everything else is set to default. I will check oil level and air filter first thing tomorrow morning. If air filter and oil look good, should I try removing smarty to see what happens? I'm definitely concerned that it could be a bigger issue also, but.right now everything appears to be running normal. Thanks so much for the quick responses.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, if oil level is OK and air filter is clean, remove the Smarty and take it for a good drive.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vcoyle
Smarty JR is on SW1 and everything else is set to default. I will check oil level and air filter first thing tomorrow morning. If air filter and oil look good, should I try removing smarty to see what happens? I'm definitely concerned that it could be a bigger issue also, but.right now everything appears to be running normal. Thanks so much for the quick responses.
I would verify defaults by reloading SW1 with the options set to default. But the Smarty does smoke more than stock, even on SW1.

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Yes, if oil level is OK and air filter is clean, remove the Smarty and take it for a good drive.
Its a good idea, but it will take a WOT run or two for any residual soot in the exhaust to clear out once back to stock.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM

Put in a new k&n air filter and the oil looks good. It's still smoking so I will try to put the truck back to stock tonight...

Quick Reply: Black Smoke from Exhaust