PDA

View Full Version : Winter cover radiator

Hairy1
11-29-2003, 09:09 PM
anyone make a cover? I prefer inside the hood behind the grill!

Hairy1
11-30-2003, 09:27 AM
You know an upgrade from cardboard [laugh]

Shovelhead
11-30-2003, 09:33 AM
I've been using these for the last 3 years.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=619

They don't go inside the grille, but they work, they fit well, are inexpensive, and look nice.

XTOAK
11-30-2003, 12:45 PM
I bought mine from Alaska Tent and Tarp in Anchorage for $39.99 plus $10 installation. I could have installed it myself as it was easy to do, but had them do it while I was there thus it saved me some time.

It works great and looks terrific. It is inside the hood, behind the grill and is attached to the frame that the radiator uses for it's mount. Works fine, has a zipper and six snaps across the mount so that you can vary the size of the area covered up to and including completed zipping it up for total coverage. They are not the plastic insert kind but the type you see on the big rigs but ours go under the grill.

I'm not connected to them nor do I make any money or trade value for mentioning them. I simply mention them as I've seen them mentioned elsewhere on the board and know that they ship to you fellas in the lower 48 states. Their customer service is first rate and they are quick.

I'll post pictures of it tomorrow so you can see how it is attached and the quality. I've been using mine during the -10 degree F weather we had a couple weeks back and it worked fantastic.

Hairy1
11-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Yes please send picture and how to get hold of these people Thanks

I don't think the inserts will work as I have a custom grill.

CTDinMT
11-30-2003, 08:34 PM

They don't go inside the grille, but they work, they fit well, are inexpensive, and look nice.

I e-mailed that guy a couple of times and never got any replies, so I don't know if he's even still making them. I think I'll spend the extra $ and get a Lund Cold Front.-Steve

Hairy1
11-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Who you talking about the guys in Alaska?

Shovelhead
12-01-2003, 05:46 AM

I e-mailed that guy a couple of times and never got any replies, so I don't know if he's even still making them. I think I'll spend the extra $ and get a Lund Cold Front.-Steve

That ad was placed here in our classifieds about a month ago.

XTOAK
12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Alaska Tent and Tarp.
Anchorage, Alaska
(907) 562-2293
Specify year, make and model.
They ship priority mail so it is extremely reasonable to ship from Alaska to the lower 48 states.

XTOAK
12-01-2003, 12:00 PM
A shot of the winterfront zipped up.....

XTOAK
12-01-2003, 12:01 PM
A shot of the winterfront with the hood closed....

Hairy1
12-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks a lot for the pictures....I did e-mail them and here it is.

( Hi Rick,
O.K the good news is yes we make winter fronts to fit your vehicle and does go behind the grill. They are very easy to install, we use snaps on a piece of web that will attach to the top of your radiator frame and will have two bungee cords on the bottom that will hook into your frame. The price is $39.95 each and $5.75 for shipping. The fabric is a heavy vinyl that is good to 60 below zero, which I hope that you will not see. You might want to visit our web site at www.alaskatent.com for more information.)

trailblazenyj
12-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey, what is all that white stuff on the bumper? [laugh]

Seriously, doubt I will ever need one but what temps should I watch out for?

Hairy1
12-01-2003, 08:57 PM
I don't think covering the intercooler will hurt anything when the temps are below freezing? Do You?
Any comments? on that?
Last year -30 below some days........usually 10*-20* average days

XTOAK
12-02-2003, 10:02 AM
That white stuff, sir, is called SNOW. I couldn't imagine an opportunity to use one in Georgia unless you were to drive North for quite a ways.

As for covering the intercooler, last night we hit -21 below and I had her all zipped up to get it up to temperature in as much time as I could. Still took over three miles of country road driving and 9 miles of highway driving to get some heat out of the heater. Now I'm thinking about getting an Espar as the block heater works but not hard enough IMO....

Dr. Evil
12-02-2003, 02:41 PM
XTOAK,

An ESPAR heater is worth its weight in gold if u live in a cold climate. I have one and wouldnt be without it. Believe me its nice to get into a warm truck and not have to scrape ice off the windshield.

XTOAK
12-02-2003, 03:13 PM
I couldn't agree more as I've seen them in action and swear by them. Only problem is the amount of cash needed to purchase and get it installed....$1450 installed in Anchorage, rather steep....still trying to convince my wife.

Dr. Evil
12-02-2003, 03:58 PM
yep....but worth it....they will have to pry that ESPAR from my cold, dead hands when its time to bury me....

I did some checking, I thought you could get one here cheaper....but after exchange, shipping and tax itll be ablout the same.

Has anyone ever looked into the Wabasto heaters?? Same thing, but they could be cheaper...I dunno...

XTOAK
12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Those Espars are nice but lets face it, most of us don't have the resources to "do like we always do and steal some nuclear weapons and hold the world ransom for one million dollars" - like Dr. Evil ;)

Dr. Evil
12-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Actually its 100 Billion dollars....

And the ESPAR was on the truck when I got it.... ;D

Shovelhead
12-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Why have Billions when you can have,............millions.
http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/austin_powers__the_spy_who_shagged_me/mike_myers/evil.jpg

And I'm going to cut a new piece of cardboard for the radiator tonight.
Cost?.....$0.00
Warm tootsies.....priceless.

Dr. Evil
12-02-2003, 06:09 PM
And I'm going to cut a new piece of cardboard for the radiator tonight.
Cost?.....$0.00
Warm tootsies.....priceless.

Works like a charm....u gotta like free stuff...

Hairy1
12-02-2003, 07:29 PM
About 10* here right now....I covered my (radiator only) using that stiff plastic like sign board material.......just fits between the tranny cooler and the radiator...slides right in.....best part.....free.
Even with the rad covered it doesn't heat up well.....ran it for 10 minutes at 1400 RPM....hardley moved off the 140* mark but heat was coming!!!!
Ain't no way these will heat up as fast as a gas job.
I am a Volunteer Fireman and rather than pounding the Cummins in cold weather......Ill run the wife's 89 Chrysler which sets outside.......you know it's 3 AM 5*-10*outside Fire call comes in.....can't wait for no Cummins to warm up.....gotta go..go...go.
Can't hurt the old Chrysler V6....
PS: Fingers crossed the siren don't go tonight!

XTOAK
12-02-2003, 10:35 PM
I hear ya...I've started taking the snowmobile to work as I figure if I'm going to be cold, I might as well have fun while I'm doing it. Unfortunate though, that Arctic Cat doesn't quite purr like my Cummins.....works only 5 miles away so it's a quick ride on the AC.

Even with the winterfront, they won't warm up much...gotta get 'em moving and then it still takes a while. I notice the most benefit from a winterfront when the temp drops below -20. I've driven diesels since 1984 and while they don't heat up as quick as a gasser, they sure haul alot better when they are heated up :D

Hairy1
12-03-2003, 06:21 AM
You got the right idea! [laugh]

Right now at 6 AM it is 6 degress here.brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

89 Chrysler fired right up no problem......yahooo [laugh]

Hairy1
12-03-2003, 06:27 AM
Your are right about moving to warm them up? Fast idle in driveway doesn't do much?

roan65
12-16-2003, 03:09 AM
XTOAK,
Have you noticed a milage decrease using the winter front?? I also have the AK tent & Tarp winter front. My truck only has about 1200 miles on it so it's still hard to say. I'm thinking the last trip I took to Anchorage I got about 2 mpg better with it off. To be honest I didn't notice any eng temp differance on or off at around 0 running 70mpg. My thought; in town it's a must, but on a trip, it's coming off.

I was surprised that the heater didn't warm up real well. I did notice if you put the HVAC control to re-cirulate it helps a bunch when it cold. Maybe it's time to look into those Espar's!

NC_Mog
12-16-2003, 05:55 AM
I had a gasoline fired Espar heater in an old military truck...with an air cooled engine. Wow what a difference. Almost instant heat that will run you right out of the cab. My '03 will never see one though; NC just don't get that cold.

XTOAK
12-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Roan85,

I have ran my truck between Kenai and Anchorage several times with it on and haven't noticed any decrease in mileage. You may have noticed the difference when running #1 versus #2 diesel.

I did run with the winter front off two weeks ago when we had -25 degree weather around Sterling, AK. When I left Kenai, it was -8 and the temp gauge was around the 200 degree mark but once I hit Sterling and the temps started to drop to the -25 degree mark, the temp guage started dropping to the low of approximately 160 degrees. I have never seen that flucutation with the winter front in place. On the other hand, I have left Kenai when it was 3 degrees and got to around Portage where the temp was 29 degrees whereupon I had to stop and unzip the winterfront as I could hear the fan kicking in several times and could see the temp guage rising. But have never seen a drop in mileage.

I've driven diesels most of my life here in Alaska, and grew up in Fairbanks, and have always had a winter front for them as I consider them a necessity in colder climates.

Commatoze
12-16-2003, 02:55 PM
.........My thought; in town it's a must, but on a trip, it's coming off...........

I agree. The coldest I've experienced since owning my truck is -10oF., and it ran at normal temps on the interstate without a cover. Took 7 or 8 miles to get up there though. However, once off the highway the water temp dropped dramatically.