1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Window Tint

Ok guys, What do y'all know about window tint? Where should I get it, can I do it myself, do I want to buy a pre-cut kit, where do I start?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a reputable tint shop do it. One that will warranty it if it fades in the future.

Its more expensive , but will turn out better in the long run.Or If you have tinting xp and have hookups can also buy a quality tint and then do ur rig .
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my 08 done for 150 and it has a strip of 10% on windshield and 10 % on front window's and Limo on rear and back Keep's it so much cooler plus it has a warranty for life of ownership of truck
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM

Let the pros do it, the better look alone is worth every penny, keeping the dirt out from between the film and glass takes a lot of skill. I have tinted windows on commercial buildings for a living but would not even try to do my own truck.

You will get better quality film and installation, plus someone to blame if there is a problem, like bubbling or peeling.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 AM

A pro shop will have much better tint and be able to keep the dirt out.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Gila. You're probably not goint to find a pre cut kit for our pickups. Dont understand why everyone says to have the "pros" do it. Not sure where you guys are at, but most of the "pros" around here are drop outs that are stoned out of their mind. It's not that hard to do yourself. Keep everything clean, take your time, expect to make mistakes the first couple times, and keep evertying clean. Do it where there is no wind. I'll usually wet the floor down to keep any dust down. I say try it yourself and learn something new.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 95ram
Dont understand why everyone says to have the "pros" do it. Not sure where you guys are at, but most of the "pros" around here are drop outs that are stoned out of their mind.
Ditto!

My first time was for my Jeep's hard top and it came out great, just a lot of patience. I cheated though; had the top off the jeep and propped up on some lobster crates in a vacuumed shop. it was very easy to walk around, etc.

Buy the good stuff. Don't cheap out. You have to wash the windows with a blend of baby shampoo and water I believe. NO AMMONIA, it makes it peel prematurely or something? I can't remember. Good luck, I gotta do mine too.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 95ram
I use Gila. You're probably not goint to fine a pre cut kit for our pickups. Dont understand why everyone says to have the "pros" do it. Not sure where you guys are at, but most of the "pros" around here are drop outs that are stoned out of their mind. It's not that hard to do yourself. Keep everything clean, take your time, expect to make mistakes the first couple times, and keep evertying clean. Do it where there is no wind. I'll usually wet the floor down to keep any dust down. I say try it yourself and learn something new.
Wow same here in Southern California.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 AM

Another vote for do it yourself. Its not as hard as you think. I too, have been using Gila for many years with great results, just make sure you do it inside, keep the dust down,keep the tint wet,and use lint free towels and razor blades to clean the windows with.I clean the windows with a good ammonia free window cleaner and apply the tint with Ivory dish soap/water solution. (not too much soap). wet the outside of the window to be tinted, Lay the tint on it backwards, squeegie out the bubbles, then trim to fit. Then clean the inside of the window again, wet the window and wet the tint as you peel the backing off, apply the tint to the window and sqeegie out the bubbles again.

The choice is yours,$14 vs $150 <?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So where do I get this gila stuff? I did find a pre-cut kit for just over $100, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Do you guys take your door windows out? How much of my windshield can have tint on it in Wi?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM

IIRC Auto Zone cares Gila. I've also ordered kits from this place and had very good luck with them, and no, I'm not affiliated with them. I just think they sell a good product at a down to earth price. http://store.northerntint.com/index.html
Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And OEM windshields have a mark that indicates how low the tint can legally go. I believe it's 3"s.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM

look at my avatar pic my windows are limo tinted all the way around so nice
and id say go hav it done by someone the guy that does it does it all day long so he d know tricks on putting it on
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 97catintenn
And OEM windshields have a mark that indicates how low the tint can legally go. I believe it's 3"s.

That's all dependent on the state. In MN it is illegal to have ANY aftermarket tint on the windshield. Other states you can tint the whole windshield as dark as you want.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bullfrog5.9
look at my avatar pic my windows are limo tinted all the way around so nice
and id say go hav it done by someone the guy that does it does it all day long so he d know tricks on putting it on
That's just the thing, there are no tricks for a straight window. If you were doing the back window of a car it would be differant. Then you would have to shrink the tint with the grain. This is not the case with our pickup windows. As long as you keep everything clean and take your time you'll be fine. The best part about these older pickups is you can pull the windows with little effort which makes cutting the tint for them even easier.

Quick Reply: Window Tint