PDA

View Full Version : Want YOUR input on bumper designs!

Backwoods Bumpers
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Hello 4th gen folks! It's time for us to start designing/producing 4th gen bumpers. I welcome any and all comments as far as what you would like to see! Here's basically what I would like to know:

-Do more people like the plate steel design or the ranch design?

-If you like plate steel, I'm open to pics or drawings - be creative!

-I've had some input from the pre-runner crowd and they want to see bumpers with better ground clearance that are closer to the front of the truck - not so bulky. Is this something that daily drivers want? Or do we like the bulky designs?

-Grille guard options - we try to offer a wide variety. From single bull bars to full hood cages. What designs would ya'll like to see?

-In general - When it comes to the looks and protection of your truck, what features would you like to see?

-During the next few weeks I'm going to try to come up with a final design, so now's the time to hit me up with designs of your own. So far, all I have is something similar to our deluxe base on the 3rd gen trucks. I'm open to looking at anything.

I want to make sure these products are exactly what customers want, so fire away!

Thanks, Evan

DJM
01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I want a winch bumper that offers the most ground clearance and is close to the front of the truck as possible.

My truck is a 2010 2500 with the Cummins. I never heard of your bumpers before I read about them on this forum. While price is an important consideration, durability & appearance is equally important.

I'll be calling you very soon !

Backwoods Bumpers
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I want a winch bumper that offers the most ground clearance and is close to the front of the truck as possible.

That seems to be a growing trend, or at least a growing request from customers. Basically, the consensus is that it needs to be big enough to house a 12,500 winch, but just barely. That way it can really hug the truck as much as possible. Thanks for the input!

DJM
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I could deal with a nicely designed bumper that will accommodate a 12,500 winch. Of course it would have to be strong, with heavy duty mounting brackets to withstand the pull of a 25 - 30,000 lbs pull as many of us utilize pulleys to increase the ability of the winch, as needed, but the bumper & mounting system must be strong enough to handle it.

I have seen a winch separate from a jeep because weak mounting hardware. I look forward to seeing what you have for my truck.

93-331-29psi
01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
I'd like to see an aftermarket bumper of plate steel similar in design to the factory unit. One that completes the wheel wells and hides the air tanks I have tucked in behind the factory one. I don't like seeing the underside of the truck.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
These are good suggestions - keep them up!

What I'm wondering the most is: Are folks happy with the "industry standard" shape and design? I'm speaking of the similar style used by us, Road Armor, Fab Fours, etc... Is this what you want for the 4th gens, or does anybody have any fresh new ideas?

I'm having trouble coming up with something outside the box! I would really like to see if anybody has some "napkin sketches" of ideas. Post them here or email them to me!

Backwoods Bumpers
01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
the bumper & mounting system must be strong enough to handle it.

I have seen a winch separate from a jeep because weak mounting hardware. I look forward to seeing what you have for my truck.

Don't worry about that part. The integral strength of the bumper should go without mention!

dieseloutlaw1
01-11-2011, 07:13 PM
I am looking very hard into a 4th gen. Would like to put a replacement bumper, I do prefer plate design similar to factory. The factory did an awesome job this year!! I have looked at your site, and really like what I see!! I love the Rear deluxe with the light protection. Would like to see that on a 4th gen. The predator gaurd is what I'd get for a 4th gen. Is it possible to put a Ramsey RE 12,000 winch in your bumper??

Backwoods Bumpers
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm sure the guards will be very similar to the designs we have for the 2nd and 3rd gens. As for the bumper itself, I'm going to try to keep it similar to stock dimensions, as far as hugging the front of the truck. The main change will most likely be increasing the ground clearance on the sides, so the bottom won't be so flat.

As for the RE 12000, I'm not sure. That's a pretty bulky winch. I'll be glad to do custom stuff, but the main line will probably not have enough room. (Trying to keep them as slim as possible)

dieseloutlaw1
01-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the update. Dad has the RE 12000 sitting in the barn, says I can have it. When I get the new one I'll be in touch.

Blake Clark
01-12-2011, 06:34 AM
I too like the plate design over the leader deck design. I think something that is as close to factory as possible, yet still able to hold a good winch would be just about perfect.

Bonus for integrating the factory fog lights for plug and play action.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-12-2011, 06:43 AM
I too like the plate design over the leader deck design.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, could you explain a little?

Also, good call on the factory fog lights. We weren't really able to make buckets for the 3rd gen lights since they were not really round. However, with the rectangle shape of the 4th gen fogs, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Blake Clark
01-12-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, could you explain a little?

Also, good call on the factory fog lights. We weren't really able to make buckets for the 3rd gen lights since they were not really round. However, with the rectangle shape of the 4th gen fogs, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Leader Deck = Diamond plate (Ranch Hand Style Metal)

Backwoods Bumpers
01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
10-4 that's what I thought, just wanted to clarify.

As for plate steel designs, do ya'll like more angles for a rounded and chiseled look, or fewer angles for a more simple look?

Mike Holmen
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
You have any pictures or examples? Been interested in getting an aluminum bumper, thats strong enough to mount a winch mount. I also want a front reciever. Steel is heavy. Been thinking about just building one out of tubing.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi Mike, I have no pictures of our products on 4th gens because we haven't done any yet! You can go to the Backwoods Bumpers web site and look at 2nd and 3rd gens. When you say a tube bumper, are you talking about the typical pre-runner style like you would see on a desert truck? Basically just a skit plate, winch mount, and tubing? I like the way those look on the right truck. As for weight, our front replacements range from 100-300lbs, depending on winch mount and grille guard.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
So far, the general consensus seems to be:

-Keep the bumper close to the front of the truck (and still fit a winch)
-Keep as much ground clearance as possible. We'll also angle the sides up as much as possible for tire clearance.
-For now we'll probably do something similar to our current deluxe model (many angles and faces).
-unless I hear some more input on the guards, we'll offer the same ones as we do for the 3rd gen trucks

I would like some feedback on rear bumpers.... For now, it's most economical to offer one rear bumper (with more coming a little later). Here are the 3 that we have offered for 2nd and 3rd gens. Which style would most people prefer?

dieseloutlaw1
01-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Personally I would like to see more angles, fewer angles just look plain, if i spend $1000- $2000 on a bumper I don't want a "lil tikes" look!! Not sure what your design will be, but the fab four unit doesn't look bad at all.

dieseloutlaw1
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Well I should've hit refresh, I like the 3rd gen bumper, ALOT!! like the light gaurds and angles. Is the reciever hitch built in or is it a factory unit and if it is the factory hitch, how easy is it to reach to change balls ?? Is turning clearances decreased due to the bumper sticking out further? I had a rear replacement on my furd, hated it. The hitch was built in and the way it attached to the frame it ALWAYS slipped down to where the hitch was looking at the dirt... Ended taking it off.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
It keeps the factory hitch. I have never seen a bumper hitch that didn't slip. I tried making a bumper/hitch combo for my own truck and I wasn't satisfied.

The ball/hitch isn't hard to change. The red truck is mine and I have that same bumper on it. It doesn't stick out much further than the stock one. A few inches at most. Thanks for the compliments and your feedback!

DamMan
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM

I would like some feedback on rear bumpers.... For now, it's most economical to offer one rear bumper (with more coming a little later). Here are the 3 that we have offered for 2nd and 3rd gens. Which style would most people prefer?

Is the unfinished bumper a Winch Bumper? If so, I would love to see it for a 4th Gen Truck. My purchasing time frame is late Spring / early Summer so I will keep my fingers crossed.

DamMan

Backwoods Bumpers
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey DamMan, the customer custom-ordered it like that because he is mounting a winch where the spare tire used to be. There's not enough room to mount a winch behind a rear bumper unless you do something custom like that. It wouldn't be hard to fab up though. I think that style will definitely be in the 4th gen line. Thanks, Evan

txarrowhunter
01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/medium/IMG_0646.JPG

this is a TC evolution
If i could do it all over i want to keep the wrap around the lights and fenders. bringing the center A bar or bull bar higher up then it is in this picture but still attaching at the same points and give it a little more room from grill to bumper grill. Maybe a built in skid plate. On the rear i really like the custom winch bumper in the pictures you provided up top but most bumper makers (sometimes not ranch hand) keep them so close to the bed of your truck and barely gives you any room to use it as a step improving the chance of slipping and eating a piece of your tailgate. I would buy a rear plate bumper that gave me at least 10" of platform to use. We just ordered a ranch hand for the rear on our 2010 but still factory on the front.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey man, that's a sharp truck - I love the hood. I am also a fan of the Mud Grapplers. I wish I could afford to run them on all 6 of my truck.

I appreciate your reply - this demonstrates the difficulty of what we're dealing with! Some people - like you - want to use their truck for work and want a bulkier design. Others want to use it for sport and want a very slim design. It would be nice to find a happy medium, but maybe the best option is to offer both styles!

DJM
01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
That's a very sharp truck, is there a winch in that bumper ?

Scarlet HO
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Of the rear bumpers shown my favorite is the unfinished one. It looks heavy duty with the oprtion for some nice sized lights. Not a fan of the one on the dually due to the larger end caps on it, I like a clean and simple look. I am asuming there would be provisions for the seven and 4 pin outlets to mount? Will it accomodate the backup sensors?

I agree with other comments made earlier about having the bumpers fit closer to the body. I've owned several brands of front-end replacements and never liked the large gaps I had on my truck.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-14-2011, 09:05 AM
People seem to like that design. A member here (majikMD) named Adam custom ordered that (see "project rock" in the 3rd gen non-drivetrain section). It will definitely make it into the lineup. Yes, trailer plugs holes and license plate lights are standard. Backup sensor holes will most likely be a free option.

Blake Clark
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
People seem to like that design. A member here (majikMD) named Adam custom ordered that (see "project rock" in the 3rd gen non-drivetrain section). It will definitely make it into the lineup. Yes, trailer plugs holes and license plate lights are standard. Backup sensor holes will most likely be a free option.

Yes, I really like that bumper too. A little more wrap for a dually and it would be just perfect.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree. I've considered dropping our "deluxe" model - red truck above - and replacing it with that one. I would still make the taillight guards an option for those who like it.

txarrowhunter
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
That's a very sharp truck, is there a winch in that bumper ?

These bumpers come standard with winch mounts but I did some extensive modification to this one to add vents remove tow hook gaps, winch gap, and add a hitch receiver. It's been a while since I bought this I noticed now that they added vents on some TC bumpers.

Danderson
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd consider a non-winch bumper that follows the stock bumper contours and doesn't stick out much. Adequate air holes,D-ring holders and two additional holes for offroad lights. Fusion offers just such a bumper,but an offering from you would be nice also. I wouldn't want a winch,just protection from that inevitable collision someday.

dieseloutlaw1
01-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Like Blake said, knock on wood!! I've never hit my fenders backing trailers, fender protection would be awesome in case I pop one!!

CO Lineman
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I would like to see one with a full grill guard and be able to get it on chrome. There aren't many out there that are chrome that are very reasonably priced..I do like the looks of the stock bumper but need more protection form the animals. Also a place for the block heater plug like the thing form genos garage..

Backwoods Bumpers
01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I've had a handful of people request chrome. The problem with that is there are no chrome shops around here big enough to dip bumpers. The other problem is the cost. I'm open to suggestion though - if someone has a connection with a chrome shop, I'd like to get some more info!

The block heater plugs are no problem. I believe it just requires a 1 7/8 inch hole.

sgt snake
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
im with the guy who dislikes seeing under the truck with all of the available aftermarket bumpers. i think they should drop lower some how and not project out so far. the front of the trucks look odd and the lines and look of the truck get lost. even if you have to some how weld a lower plate to drop the bumper for astetics. keep the strength up top for wench purposes and dress up the bottom. maybe you can some how incorporate plastic into the design somehow. while your at it you should make some grills too. these companys are rediculous on the prices they are charging for a pc of steel. we end up cutting and installing them ourselves. $1200 plus for grill inserts is ridiculous for a pc of steele that cost $4.00. on another note, did anyone else do any suspension mods to there trucks? i did a 6 inch lift kit from pro comp and it has been a total night mare since installed. very dangerous kit, steering wheel fights left and right like crazy and the truck feels like it wants to run right off the road, and my brand new 37 inch tires are starting to ware on the edges

Backwoods Bumpers
01-17-2011, 05:46 AM
We actually do offer grilles for the 3rd gens. 2nd and 4th gens are next. I agree with you on some of the ridiculous pricing. However, I ended up having to charge more than I would like because of the cost of the woven mesh. It's just stupid how much that stuff costs. We can get the 4th gen grilles rolling just as soon as I get a donor grille in the shop!

DJM
01-17-2011, 06:24 AM
How far away are you from having a winch bumper for the 2010's ? I'd be willing to come out and be a donor truck for the grill, and hopefully get my winch bumper at the same time.

I prefer a nice tighter winch with clean lines that cover & protect what needs to be protected.

It's nice to be retired and have time to travel around the country. I would hope that we could fit a larger winch into the bumper, but some times sacrifices need to be made.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-17-2011, 08:11 AM
It looks like we're gonna get the 2010 truck in the shop for mock-up in about 2 weeks. After that, it will be another week or so until we get the jig all set up and into production.

I appreciate the offer on the grille, but it will (for all practical purposes) ruin the grille and I need to keep it in the shop for future use. I just need to order one or find somebody who has scratched one up or broken the middle out of one.

You're more than welcome to make the drive and come visit! I'll put your bumper on for you and I'd love to get some pics of one installed on a truck.

For the next two weeks, keep the suggestions coming - and I'd still like to see if anybody has any drawings or ideas in picture form!

sheriffav8r
01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
For me, I want a front bumper with the ability to add a winch, but still have a front receiver hitch, maybe below the winch mount. Clean angular lines, like you've been producing are the best. High clearance with snug fitting are important. The ability to either add or subtract light bars on the front would be a plus. Looking forward to your creation....

Backwoods Bumpers
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
For me, I want a front bumper with the ability to add a winch, but still have a front receiver hitch, maybe below the winch mount. Clean angular lines, like you've been producing are the best. High clearance with snug fitting are important. The ability to either add or subtract light bars on the front would be a plus. Looking forward to your creation....

What you're describing is the most common request and will probably be the first style we come out with. Basically our deluxe series with lines that compliment the new body style. The same guards will be available that we have for the 3rd gens. I'm also definitely open to new guard ideas too.

vwtech
01-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm looking for a pre-runner style light bar do you have anything available or in the works, just need something to hang some lights on. Something similar to this
http://www.n-fab.com/view.just.image/src=/ecom/images/product/349.1393.800x600.2010_Dodge_(1).jpg

Backwoods Bumpers
01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Honestly, I've never been able to be competitive in the market that sells bolt-on products. I offer a bumper with a guard like that, but I've never had any luck with grille guards or other accessories that use the factory bumper.

However, I'm more than happy to look at that while the truck is at our shop. I'll check in to how they mount and how strong I could make one.

turbohi
01-18-2011, 08:46 PM
some of the aftermarket bumpers that i have seen have this funny smile too them..tall in the middle then slice up high at the wheels...although i understand that design..it is still ugly. i like the shape of the factory bumper. so something to that same shape but with the flat steel....if that makes any sense..i hope..lol it does in my head anyways..

Backwoods Bumpers
01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
No, that makes perfect sense. It's just tough to find a compromise. The reason for that shape is to get more clearance by the tires. I'll have the truck in the shop for a couple days, so I'll be able to play around with design. I don't really want to burn through 2 sheets of steel, but I'll play with several different ideas.

HMX-1
01-19-2011, 02:38 AM
I like the designs that Road Armor and Throttle Down Kustoms have and the only design change I would like to see on this style of front bumpers would be to decrease how far forward they project.

There isn't any good reason to have a bumper stick "that" far out in front of the truck if there isn't a winch mount there.

For the back bumpers, the design that Road Armor has is fine, but I'd like to see more lighting options (more lights or options for round/square LED's) and the ability to mount the bumper around a trailer hitch.

Kris

Backwoods Bumpers
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm going to try to get the best of both worlds. Most winches up to 12,500 need about 8" of space. If I can get 3-4 inches of that behind the front of the truck, that will only leave 4-5 inches sticking out in front. We'll see how much room there is to work with.

Lighting options are no problem. Can't have enough lights, right?

Argo
01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I am a throttle down kustoms fan too. I have one on my truck and love it. I like your base bumper design but for your new year models a smoother transition from bumper to grille guard would look better IMO. Thats just the random opinion of someone willing to spend $2k for a good looking bumper and $1500 for good quality functional steps(amp steps)

Stargeezer
01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
My needs are different than many but here goes;

I do not want a bumper that looks like a cow catcher on an old time steam locomotive - most of what I've seem are butt ugly and I didn't spend $50,000 on a truck to hang a ugly bumper on. No news on this, I'm sure.

I'm a RVer and spend more time in town than out in the country. I do not push cows, I need protection in parking lots.

What I want is a bumper that flows with the lines of the truck. Use ovalized stock, teardrop cross-sections, Put some lines in the plate stampings, tabs for off road lights. Mostly make it look like it belongs there - not added.

Round tube and diamond plate is boring abd ugly.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-19-2011, 10:40 PM
I like your base bumper design but for your new year models a smoother transition from bumper to grille guard would look better IMO.

This is great feedback. Do you have any examples of what you mean? Thanks, Evan

Backwoods Bumpers
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
What I want is a bumper that flows with the lines of the truck. Use ovalized stock, teardrop cross-sections, Put some lines in the plate stampings, tabs for off road lights. Mostly make it look like it belongs there - not added.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I would love some more details on this. Do you mean ovalized stock for the base bumper or for the guard? And are you talking about actual oval tubing? If so, it's only available in a few sizes and I've never seen a bender that can bend it. I would love to though. Also, what do you mean by teardrop cross-sections? Thanks for your input, Evan

Stargeezer
01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure what you mean here. I would love some more details on this. Do you mean ovalized stock for the base bumper or for the guard? And are you talking about actual oval tubing? If so, it's only available in a few sizes and I've never seen a bender that can bend it. I would love to though. Also, what do you mean by teardrop cross-sections? Thanks for your input, Evan

Hi Evan, Afraid that I'm not sure what is availible in steel, I work some with aluminum and teardrop is a common aircraft form.

Like most artists, I do a great job visualizing what I'd like but after I hit the send button I thought about you needing off-the-shelf materials.

I'm home in bed fight the flu right now so I'll drag out a sketch pad and see if I can draw a few things. I'm a 3D ceramic artist so my sketching isn't the best, but I take a swing at it.

Didn't mean to sound as blunt as I did - this flu has given me a grumpy keyboard.

Best Wishes,
Larry Kruzan

Backwoods Bumpers
01-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Haha, no that is exactly what I was asking for! Looking forward to any and all sketches/drawings. Hope you get better soon.

Argo
01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
look up throttle down kustoms. I have their mayhem bumper on my 09. I would have also gone with the road armor but I liked the different design of the mayhem from TDK. If you look at the risers on the bumer they flow smoother with the lines of the bumper and dont overlap into the front of the bumper but come down on top of the seam on the bumper so it doesnt mess up the flow, just seems more fluid. The tubing on the grill guard flows around the side of the truck nicely on both of those brands also. I could have spent $1000 and put a bumper on my truck that was thrown together like every other bumper out there but I opted for a $2300 bumper because it looks better. These companies are always very busy and are hard to get stuff from because they are slammed with business for their smooth designs... It probably costs them just as much to make the bumper but they charge more because people can and will pay it. I have a couple pictures that I have posted on this forum before of my bumper but it wont let me post them to a differnt thread.... throttledownkustoms.com is the company, they are in montana.... roadarmor.com is the other one i think that is a real smooth looking bumper....

Backwoods Bumpers
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Great input, man. I appreciate all the thought you put in to that. I'm definitely going to try to come up with something that looks nice and smooth, that is also different from what everybody is used to.

kwylie
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
In post #15 aluminum was mentioned.

I have a Lorenz Suspension and do not want the HEAVY weight of the steel if I can avoid it.

Do you do any bumpers in aluminum?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in any material.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-23-2011, 12:59 AM
we're not really set up right now to work much with aluminum. The main problem is getting the tubing in sizes we can bend. Most people would not be willing to pay the extra cost that comes with our cost of the material. I do have plans eventually to make them in aluminum, but that's a little further down the road.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Ok, looks like the 4th gen is gonna be in the shop in about a week. Anybody have any last minute input on the actual design of the base bumper? Any specifics or drawings/ideas? Otherwise it's at the mercy of my imagination!

EPCO
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
You have a pic of a step bar in your web gallery. How much are you charging for those that would have 3 steps? Two door steps + a bed step in front of the rear wheel for the quad cab. Preferably attaching to the frame vs the paneling.

I would like a rear bumper to have a functional stepping surface, with the lines of the unfinished product in your pics. Some traction on top would be needed, as well as indents for upgraded reverse lights.

I happen to have the Warn 16.5ti. How much more would it stick out? I would prefer a cover on the top as well to cover the wench when not in use. That wench is so big there may even be room to put a covered storage box next/behind it for recovery gear.

EPCO
01-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Oh, and another little detail is we have to have a front plate in CO, so it would need some type of attachment point below everything else.

Backwoods Bumpers
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I'll shoot you a PM on the steps. On the rear bumper, we'll offer soemthing similar to that one, plus a less expensive model. I'm still trying to decide on the design of the front bumpers. We can custom make bumpers on a customer-to-customer basis for larger winches, etc. Thanks for the input!

CO Lineman
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Any updates?

stidwell
02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
I am a fan of the ranchhand style bumpers, i have always thought that a small 10"L x 4" W x 3"D tool box incorporated into the design of the bumper would be a great idea. I use my truck on a ranch and it would be nice to throw a pair of fence pliers or a couple of screw drivers in it just to have them in easy reach. It would also keep a little space free in the door pockets cause we wouldn't have to carry these items in the cab.

CO Lineman
02-26-2011, 08:53 AM
pics?

Backwoods Bumpers
02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey ya'll, my 4th gen plans a few weeks ago got messed up..... Looks like another 2 weeks (hopefully) before I get the chance to get one in the shop for mock-up. I'm still open to any and all input in the meantime. Thanks for your patience!

93-331-29psi
02-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Here is my thoughts on a nice 4t Gen bumper, minus the barbed wire.

http://www.southwestfabricators.com/roation/1.jpg

Stargeezer
02-26-2011, 11:48 AM

I'd like info about the running boards..

DJM
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Maybe we could work something out & I'll bring my 2010 out for you to use to mock up a bumper. How long from mock up to completion ?

CO Lineman
02-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I would like a after market bumper that has about the same coverage as the OEM one. Seems some of them are raised for off road use but I dont plan on doing any of that with this truck..

Backwoods Bumpers
02-27-2011, 12:00 PM

That is nice looking stuff, but at first, we're going to stay away from ranch style stuff. I can't really offer any advantage to customers with ranch type products. However, we'll design and produce them once we get caught up!

Backwoods Bumpers
02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Maybe we could work something out & I'll bring my 2010 out for you to use to mock up a bumper. How long from mock up to completion ?

Hey, thanks - I really appreciate the offer. However, the delay is not because of the lack of a truck! It's actually because of me and a schedule that is waaaaay to busy! There is a nice local guy who is willing to bring his truck in on a weekend.

If that falls through - you'll probably be hearing from me! If I really get after it, I could do the mock-up in a day, then I would need another day or two to use the prototype to make a jig, then another couple days to get the bumper finished and coated, then 3 or so days to let the coating cure. So it would have to be at least 6-7 days unless you wanted to take the bumper home in bare steel and have it coated!

Backwoods Bumpers
02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
CO Lineman - what I've been hearing is about 50/50. It looks like we'll have to make 2 styles. One style that is non-winch, that hugs the truck and has the same ground-clearance profile. The other style will stick out far enough to accommodate a winch, with increased ground clearance.

Gold digger
02-27-2011, 09:00 PM

-Keep the bumper close to the front of the truck (and still fit a winch)
-Keep as much ground clearance as possible. We'll also angle the sides up as much as possible for tire clearance.
-For now we'll probably do something similar to our current deluxe model (many angles and faces).
-unless I hear some more input on the guards, we'll offer the same ones as we do for the 3rd gen trucks

I want new bumpers for my truck.
I want them simple, and stupidly strong.
I want a tall top hoop on the front one for moose collisions etc.
And the rear to have a built in 2x2 receiver hole, and 2 tow rings, and most of all to be able to take a rear end collision, and be okay.s rear ending me because of not paying attention.
My last truck i had a bumper made at a local shop, that is basically a huge 5 inch tall, boxed bumper, 4 inches deep, and huge mounting plates, and attatched with 8 grade 8 cat bolts.
If any normal vehicle hits it, it will be scratched paint, and thats it.
Weight is no concern, the heavier the better.
I have had 3 accidents in my 28 years driving, and all 3 were idiot

Gold digger
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
CO Lineman - what I've been hearing is about 50/50. It looks like we'll have to make 2 styles. One style that is non-winch, that hugs the truck and has the same ground-clearance profile. The other style will stick out far enough to accommodate a winch, with increased ground clearance.

I for sure need a winch mounting plate.

DJM
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I agree, I need to mount a winch in the bumper !