General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Thinking of Allisons And....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Allisons And....

My convoluted question is (1) can an AT 542 be replaced with an Allison 1000 as a "drop-in" and how does it need to be controlled?(2)This would be for a diesel pusher rv of 1991 vintage.The reason for this is to improve my mileage by dropping the rpm at highway speeds.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Besides hard parts, the allison needs a stand alone controller ... big $$$$
Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by irocpractice
My convoluted question is (1) can an AT 542 be replaced with an Allison 1000 as a "drop-in" and how does it need to be controlled?(2)This would be for a diesel pusher rv of 1991 vintage.The reason for this is to improve my mileage by dropping the rpm at highway speeds.
The 1000, 2000, 2400 allison transmissions will bolt right up to the 542/545 flex plate and drive ring, and bellhousing. they are about 3/4" longer than the 545/542 transmissions. i`ve not seen this as a big problem. if you get the 1000 trans with the wireing harness and stock computer you are all set. get a wireing diagram from the allison dealer and wire it up. the allison dose NOT have to interface with an engine computer. also get a cable operated throttle position sensor from the allison dealer and the directions to mount and adjust it. the throttle position sensor is the only thing ,on the engine,the computer needs to operate the trans. if you do not like the way the trans shifts, some cummins dealers can reprogram the computer, or you can send it to brayden fleece at fleece performance to get it set to your liking.the 1000,2000, 2400 trans. all use the same case. the difference is the gear ratios. the 1000 has a 3.10 first gear, and the 2000,2400 have a 3.50 first gear. the rest of the ratios are evenly spread. also, the 1000 and 2400 have a park pawl in them. the 2000 trans only has a brake drum on the out put shaft. hope this helps your trans swap.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jtamulonis
The 1000, 2000, 2400 allison transmissions will bolt right up to the 542/545 flex plate and drive ring, and bellhousing. they are about 3/4" longer than the 545/542 transmissions. i`ve not seen this as a big problem. if you get the 1000 trans with the wireing harness and stock computer you are all set. get a wireing diagram from the allison dealer and wire it up. the allison dose NOT have to interface with an engine computer. also get a cable operated throttle position sensor from the allison dealer and the directions to mount and adjust it. the throttle position sensor is the only thing ,on the engine,the computer needs to operate the trans. if you do not like the way the trans shifts, some cummins dealers can reprogram the computer, or you can send it to brayden fleece at fleece performance to get it set to your liking.the 1000,2000, 2400 trans. all use the same case. the difference is the gear ratios. the 1000 has a 3.10 first gear, and the 2000,2400 have a 3.50 first gear. the rest of the ratios are evenly spread. also, the 1000 and 2400 have a park pawl in them. the 2000 trans only has a brake drum on the out put shaft. hope this helps your trans swap.

While I agree with most of this info I would like to point out a few differences. In my experience all the 1000,2000 and 2400 series have parking palls, the drum addition is only added in addition for a chassis that has hydraulic brakes. Air brake equipped chassis do not require a drum style e-brake. All these series are fully electronically controlled and do require communication with the engine to operate correctly and as designed. They use a plethora of information from the vehicle speed, engine rpm, torque management, braking, tps, sensors and on and on. I believe while you could make it work, it would be ridiculously expensive to do, you would never recover the cost of it.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
While I agree with most of this info I would like to point out a few differences. In my experience all the 1000,2000 and 2400 series have parking palls, the drum addition is only added in addition for a chassis that has hydraulic brakes. Air brake equipped chassis do not require a drum style e-brake. All these series are fully electronically controlled and do require communication with the engine to operate correctly and as designed. They use a plethora of information from the vehicle speed, engine rpm, torque management, braking, tps, sensors and on and on. I believe while you could make it work, it would be ridiculously expensive to do, you would never recover the cost of it.
Obviously you`ve never seen a 2000 allison. they do NOT have a park pawl. the 1000, and 2400 have a park pawl. thats the ONLY difference between the 2000 and 2400 allison.they both have the exact same gear ratios., 3.50 first gear, and the 1000 has a 3.10 first gear. they are rated up to 30,000 lbs. the 1000 is only rated to about 25,000 lbs or thereabouts.the allison computer can comunicate with an engine computer, but it dose NOT have to! It only needs a throttle position sensor to function PROPERLY. my 8.2 detroit fuel pincher v-8 turbo diesel has NO ecm. it is mechanical fuel injected just like the 53 or 71 series detroit engines. the factory allison computer is a stand alone computer. I`m not a great electronic wizard, but I took an allison computer from a chevy 1 ton with an 8.1 v8 gas engine and 1000 trans, and followed the wireing diagram I got from the local allison dealer. I also got the cable operated tps from the allison dealer and followed the mounting and adjustment directions. The 2400 transmission works flawleely !! I wanted a little different up shift rpm and a little different down shift rpm,because of the 35" tires and 3.73 axel gears, so i sent the computer to brayden fleece and he reprogramed it. its been working perfectly for a little over 5 years. there are a lot of rumors about how the allison needs a special computer, but I`m living proof that any one who can read a wireing diagram can get the 1000, 2000, 2400 allison trans to work without any other computer. the engine speed sensor, direct clutch sensor, and vehicle speed sensor, are all in the transmission case.my speedometer is cable driven off the NP 205 transfer case,and they all go directly to the allison computer. if you really look at the throttle pedal on a d/max, there`s two tps units. one for the engine ecm and one for the trans computer. that`s why you need to put a tps in the throttle linkage, wether the engine is electronic fuel injected or mechanical fuel injection. I hope this puts some rumors, about what it takes to make an allison 1000 series work, to rest. the installation of my allison 2400 easy and really cheap, because I did not need or use any other computer than the factory allison computer. I paid about $2,000 for the wrecking yard 2400 trans,allison computer,and Gm wireing harness. and about $500 for the tps and larger 5/8"cooler lines. I will recoup my investment because I keep my stuff a LOOOOOONG time. check my signature, I got my `70 suburban in `71 and it is still my daily driver.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously you`ve never seen a 2000 allison.

my 8.2 detroit fuel pincher v-8 turbo diesel...
I was going to say something about the rude and condescending manner you used when you addressed Tim, seeing as how you are somewhat new here and Tim's been here since God invented dirt. But then I saw you have an 8.2 Detroit and realized that you probably just don't know any better.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I was going to say something about the rude and condescending manner you used when you addressed Tim, seeing as how you are somewhat new here and Tim's been here since God invented dirt. But then I saw you have an 8.2 Detroit and realized that you probably just don't know any better.
when I put the detroit 8.2 in my suburban (1980) they didn`t even make the 5.9 cummins. so I used the best diesel at the time. after 30 years, it`s getting tuckered, and I`m in the process of putting in a `99 24 v cummins with a moded ve pump, 275 injectors, and a he351cw turbo in my `70 suburban. and yes it`s going in front of my allison 2400 trans.I didn`t mean to sound rude, but I`ve got the cummins spec sheet that tells the diff between the 2000 and2400 trans. and I`ve seen the two trans apart at my local allison dealer. just because he thinks every one would spend a lot to make an allison work by using an aftermarket computer, and the swap is not practical tells me that he`s not done the swap. I have and it`s not that hard or expensive. I was trying to pass on my first hand knowledge that the 1000,2000,2400 trans with the sae #3 bellhousing is a direct bolt in on any engine that had an allison 542/545 transmission. and the electronics are not too hard or $$$. on this board and the others that I belong to, I try to share my 50 yrs expierence building engines and swaping gas to diesel engines. so when I read stuff that is contrary to what I know first hand , I try to clear things up. I`m smart enough to learn something new every chance I get, and I hope the people on this board are the same, no matter how long they`ve been a member. now lets see if the first guy in this post gets the allison in his bus.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:45 AM

when I put the detroit 8.2 in my suburban (1980) they didn`t even make the 5.9 cummins. so I used the best diesel at the time. after 30 years, it`s getting tuckered, and I`m in the process of putting in a `99 24 v cummins with a moded ve pump, 275 injectors, and a he351cw turbo in my `70 suburban. and yes it`s going in front of my allison 2400 trans.I didn`t mean to sound rude, but I`ve got the cummins spec sheet that tells the diff between the 2000 and2400 trans. and I`ve seen the two trans apart at my local allison dealer. just because he thinks every one would spend a lot to make an allison work by using an aftermarket computer, and the swap is not practical tells me that he`s not done the swap. I have and it`s not that hard or expensive. I was trying to pass on my first hand knowledge that the 1000,2000,2400 trans with the sae #3 bellhousing is a direct bolt in on any engine that had an allison 542/545 transmission. and the electronics are not too hard or $$$. on this board and the others that I belong to, I try to share my 50 yrs expierence building engines and swaping gas to diesel engines. so when I read stuff that is contrary to what I know first hand , I try to clear things up. I`m smart enough to learn something new every chance I get, and I hope the people on this board are the same, no matter how long they`ve been a member. now lets see if the first guy in this post gets the allison in his bus.

8.2 As the best diesel. Hahahahahahahahahahahhhaha.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very interested in a tranny swap for my '04. At about 200,000 miles and a weak lockuo clutch I know my time is somewhat limited. Putting a stronger 48RE in won't really satisfy me with the 4 poorly spaced gears. I want more gears for towing and 4 wheeling! A manual swap is a big deal too, so a nice 68 or Aisin 6 speed or Allison would be nice. I would prefer the Aisin or 68, but I'm open.

For some reason I though the starter interfered and the transfer case had to be changed to use the Allison. Maybe not.

I don't want to be told I'll never recover the cost. Function and a proper design rule over cost.

What do you guys know about third gen swaps with 4WD?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I didn`t mean to sound rude, but I`ve got the cummins spec sheet that tells the diff between the 2000 and2400 trans. and I`ve seen the two trans apart at my local allison dealer.
That's great and I'm glad you weren't trying to be rude. We like to be courteous to everyone on this board, (except to those we REALLY know! ), but I also know it's sometimes difficult to tell when someone is joking, being sarcastic, or just plain rude when we can't hear a spoken voice.

just because he thinks every one would spend a lot to make an allison work by using an aftermarket computer, and the swap is not practical tells me that he`s not done the swap.
No, he probably hasn't, but he has 30-odd years experience working on heavy vehicles and equipment, so I get a twist in my knickers when he, or others like him, get dismissed by what appears to be a condescending tone.

I was trying to pass on my first hand knowledge that the 1000,2000,2400 trans with the sae #3 bellhousing is a direct bolt in on any engine that had an allison 542/545 transmission. and the electronics are not too hard or $$$.
And we all appreciate that kind of information, that's what most of us are here for. (except me... I just like to make fun of people!)

I`m smart enough to learn something new every chance I get, and I hope the people on this board are the same, no matter how long they`ve been a member.
The people here ARE the same for the most part. This board was started to share knowledge just like you are imparting. I think I can say we all thank you for that. And thank you for replying and clearing things up!

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
8.2 As the best diesel. Hahahahahahahahahahahhhaha.
Oh c'mon... he DID say 'at the time'.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Chaikwa,

So now do we all have to hug? Or can we get back to the regular scheduled programming?

A little back and forth about the internal workings of these trannies is healthy. Especially if the opinions are opposite about how they work or are made. I'm eager to hear from a couple of guys that have actually done these swaps and have been living with them for years. The gear ratio info and parking pawl info is really helpful.

If Tim's been here since God created dirt, where does that leave me?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Raspy
Chaikwa, So now do we all have to hug?
You'd like that, wouldn't you?

You're what the dirt is on top of.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
That's great and I'm glad you weren't trying to be rude. We like to be courteous to everyone on this board, (except to those we REALLY know! ), but I also know it's sometimes difficult to tell when someone is joking, being sarcastic, or just plain rude when we can't hear a spoken voice.

No, he probably hasn't, but he has 30-odd years experience working on heavy vehicles and equipment, so I get a twist in my knickers when he, or others like him, get dismissed by what appears to be a condescending tone.

And we all appreciate that kind of information, that's what most of us are here for. (except me... I just like to make fun of people!)

The people here ARE the same for the most part. This board was started to share knowledge just like you are imparting. I think I can say we all thank you for that. And thank you for replying and clearing things up!

Oh c'mon... he DID say 'at the time'.
He was being condescending, I could care less either way.

I have never done "the swap". I only do unit for unit.

Yes he did. It was as reliable as the 9.0l International and the triple nickel Cummins. Hence my laughter.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Chaikwa,

So now do we all have to hug? Or can we get back to the regular scheduled programming?

A little back and forth about the internal workings of these trannies is healthy. Especially if the opinions are opposite about how they work or are made. I'm eager to hear from a couple of guys that have actually done these swaps and have been living with them for years. The gear ratio info and parking pawl info is really helpful.

It leaves you without an Allison in your truck.

With money or cost recovery not being an issue, then yes, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Here you go. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=123026
Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Hvy,

Cost is always an issue. I just don't want someone telling me it's not a good idea because the project won't pay for itself. Better designs are worth more in performance, longevity and peace of mind. A good example is the Dynatrac free spin setup.

I have already read the posts I can find about the Allison and the ones from Gabe. From what I gathered the Allison retrofit was more complicated and required more serious modifications than I thought it was worth. Especially since the 68 and the Aisin are now in Dodges. So, my hope is to put one of those in and jettison the 48. At this point the control scheme is the only thing to be worked out and I'll be doing the conversion with either a 68 or an Aisin. With a better tranny (rugged and more gears) I'll have the perfect truck for my purposes.

I have to think it's only a matter of time before a stand alone controller for one of these becomes available.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Allisons And....