PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pipes

ROCKNRAM
11-05-2002, 10:44 PM
??? Will removing your resonator and muffler and replacing them with a straight pipe void your warranty ???

11-06-2002, 05:28 AM
<br> ??? Will removing your resonator and muffler and replacing them with a straight pipe void your warranty ???<br><br><br>I remove mine with about 10,000 miles on my truck and mine has been in the shop a couple of times. The service manage said that removeing them will only void the exhaust warranty. But with no resonator and muffler there is nothing to worry about the nothing for the warrity to do if both have been removed.<br><br>Go ahead and remove them you will like it ;D

dodgeman01
11-06-2002, 07:46 AM
no worries mate it only makes it run a little better and sound a whole lot better.

11-06-2002, 08:49 AM
<br>no worries mate it only makes it run a little better and sound a whole lot better.<br><br><br>you will love it, do it

SmokinShaker
11-06-2002, 01:25 PM
I agree, I'm a Marine and I get complements about everyday from the gate guard on how mine sounds. ;D

Kimrey
11-06-2002, 04:38 PM
Unless you like alot of noise, leave the reasonator in and lose the muffler. You still have the good sound and its not to loud.

BigBlue
11-06-2002, 04:53 PM
STRAIGHT PIPE THE SOB!!!!!!! You'll love it. And who cares about an exhaust warranty? Not me.

ROCKNRAM
11-06-2002, 10:58 PM
;D I could care less about the exhaust warranty,but, I didnt want to void the engine warranty. My fuel pressure gauge is reading 10-12 at idle and drops to about 7 or 8 under load. I just bought this truck and it is straight piped with dualls running out the back ;) and I didnt want any trouble if they tell me to bring it in.

11-07-2002, 05:24 AM
You won't have any trouble

Dually00
11-12-2002, 01:19 AM
I am running a straight pipe also, but was told by a Cummins mechinic that it would effect the turbo ? Has anyone had any turbo problems? He stated there was no enough back pressure, as the turbo requires some back pressure? I would like to stay with the straight pipes but if is going to damage something I will get one of those 4inch systems.

DarrellB
11-12-2002, 01:26 AM
The less back pressure the better on a diesel. A diesel needs to be able to breath, the more air you can get it and the more exhuast you can get out of it the better off you'll be. :) <br><br>Cummins also told me these trucks couldn't be turned up any to. We all know that's true, don't we. [laugh]<br><br>Darrell

Dually00
11-12-2002, 02:32 AM
Thanks you are right, and saved me 600.00!!! :)

DarrellB
11-12-2002, 02:43 AM
<br>Thanks you are right, and saved me 600.00!!! :)<br><br><br>Cool 8)<br><br>Darrell

FastSS
11-12-2002, 10:14 AM
Yea, straight pipes sound godly on these things!<br><br>I had a local exaust shop hack off 6 inches infront and behind the muffler/resonator section and weld in a long section of stock diameter pipe...<br><br>total cost? $30 =P

PapaSmurf
11-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Hello<br>Dual 00<br> I have been working on Diesel Equipment for about 25 years now and I consider myself somewhat of a mechanic. it seems I learn something new every day with all the changes going on with Diesels these days.<br> With all the above said I don't think I would be asking that person that told you turbos need back pressure any more questions. I do not have a problem telling some one that I don't know or I'll have to research that and get back to ya. ;D ;D<br> That is what I love about this site. There is alot of expericence out here and what ever you are thinking about doing to your truck has been tried or has been done already.<br><br> I did not care for the sound that the 3 inch straight piped made, it just didn't do anything for me and my son and wife said it made my truck sound sick.<br> I have a 4 inch system straight piped on her now and I really like the sound and no bad comments form my wife.<br>See Ya<br>Chris

Fishin2Deep4U
11-12-2002, 11:08 PM
Removing the muffler and resonator will surely void your exhaust warranty, I think the dealer would have a hard time denying any other part of the warranty on those grounds alone.<br><br>On a naturally aspirated engine, some exhaust pressure is helpful in making the engine run more effeciently. With a little backpressure, you improve the scavenging effects of the exhaust and that of course means the exhaust pulses &quot;pull&quot; gases out of the cylinder.<br><br>On a diesel, we are forcing compressed air into the cylinder, our engines do not require any help on the exhaust side. So, with that said, removing restriction in the exhaust (turbo to tailpipe) helps us net our gains. Usually our trucks will run cooler (EGT) but the real gains are in operating effeciency. While most of us don't shove enough air into the motor to use 4&quot; or bigger exhaust to its fullest potential, removing the muffler and resontor will help the engine breath. Or better yet exhale.<br><br>Same principals work on supercharged cars (don't ask me how I know) and your &quot;experts&quot; are probably better at burning ants with thier torches than making an improvemant to a CTD!<br><br>Just my $.02<br><br><br><br>

BigBlue
11-13-2002, 10:51 AM
I agree. The 3&quot; just doesn't sound right. But it is much cheaper to go that way than with a 4&quot; system. I'm thinking bout ditching my dumped exhaust in favor of a complete one that goes over the back axle. My mom threw away the part that goes over the axle so I have to go and find a new one. One reason I didn't continue mine over the axle is cause when I got it, it didn't come with a chrome tip and I wasn't about to have an unpolished piece of aluminized steel sticking out the back of my truck. I wonder what it would sound like with a 5&quot; echo tip on there. Kinda like the Banks tip. Probably make it a helluva lot quiter inside the cab.

FastSS
11-13-2002, 10:56 PM
lol mine is stock exaust with a section of pipe welded in... the tip is painted with a flat silver spraycan paint =P<br><br>it looks stock and sounds stock at idle... the it ROARS<br><br>I love it, sounds like a semi

Dually00
11-15-2002, 04:47 AM
Papa Smurf:<br><br>Thanks for the info? I did not think it would be a problem, but had to ask the experts what there thoughts where. It is good to hear all the people that have done mod's to the trucks, and there out come. I am planning on up grading to 4&quot; as soon as I get the $$$. It is pretty hard to find a place that will bend 4&quot; pipe and I see no need to spend 600$ if someone can do it for under 200. <br>Thanks for the help <br>Dually00

dodgeman01
11-15-2002, 08:00 AM
I got lucky and found a guy that has a 4&quot; pipe bender. He said If I buy the pipe he will bend it or free. Heck of a guy. He has an old CJ Jeep with a 4 cylnder cummins in it. It rund great. He can turn 38&quot; super swampers over and leave a set of black marks as long as my truck.

Tom Bolitho
11-19-2002, 12:18 AM
This last weekend I went to the speed trails at El Mirage Dry Lake. This is the same group that run at Bonneville. About 8 of the guys that I have known over the last 30 years all wanted to know what I had done to my truck. They hadn't jeard it since I put a staight pipe on it. They all have F*rds. But every one had their nose all over and under it. They loved the sound and wanted to know how to make theirs sound like it. My answer: Put a Cummins in it.

dodgeman01
11-19-2002, 08:24 AM
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]<br>LMFAO

Dieseldude4x4
11-19-2002, 12:30 PM
<br>I agree. The 3&quot; just doesn't sound right. But it is much cheaper to go that way than with a 4&quot; system. I'm thinking bout ditching my dumped exhaust in favor of a complete one that goes over the back axle. My mom threw away the part that goes over the axle so I have to go and find a new one. One reason I didn't continue mine over the axle is cause when I got it, it didn't come with a chrome tip and I wasn't about to have an unpolished piece of aluminized steel sticking out the back of my truck. I wonder what it would sound like with a 5&quot; echo tip on there. Kinda like the Banks tip. Probably make it a helluva lot quiter inside the cab.<br><br><br>Got the piece over the axle with a five inch chrome monster tip lying behind the shed. You can have it if you want it.

98rammer
11-19-2002, 01:25 PM
<br>Got the piece over the axle with a five inch chrome monster tip lying behind the shed. You can have it if you want it.<br><br><br>heck, if BB doesn't want it, i'll buy it off you. i've been looking for a tailpipe.<br><br>Tom