PDA

View Full Version : Ryno conversion update

Stargeezer
03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Guys and gals! I just got back from a visit to Ryno Mobility, where they are very busy putting the wheelchair acess conversion into my new Ram 3500. The photos don't show a lot of detail at this point because I could not get too close and there was a lot going on with my truck when I was there. In fact there were four guys in there working!

I saw on on electrical, one welding, one cutting the floor out, and the owner (Edward Pic) with very dirty hands. As you can see from the photos, they have everything they are not modding covered for protection.

The 4" body lift is huge! I'll have to put steps on for the wife [laugh] or she is going to be forced to grow up[laugh][laugh].

They think that the truck will be done before the 15th of April. It will then be trucked up to my home in Illinois. We will be leaving Florida next week and I'm not sure I'll get another chance to visit Ryno again, but if I do I'll give you all another update.

Be well all,
Larry

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-1.jpg

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-3.jpg

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-2.jpg

shonne
03-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Wow. Congrats on the new truck. I had no idea on the work involved in a wheelchair conversion. That is coolness on a massive scale.

15 Digger
03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Didn't know they could do that on a pickup, thats great. There is a guy near me I saw who got a folding chair out from cab then got himself out into chair and then reverse again. Was amazed. They should make a factory option with lift gate and rear of cab entry. Enjoy your truck.

Stargeezer
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Shonne,

The total package is quite a deal. They also have to change the drive line to a split driveshaft in order to clear everything. I'm a little leary of that part, but the owner of the company is a off roader and he assures me that it will handle anything - I will test it. :)

The floor of the backseat area will be dropped 6" in order to give me the headroom I need and the transmission hump will be completely flattened. The drivers seat will have a new base that will power rearward further than stock and rotate 90 degrees - that will allow me to transfer from my chair to the seat - rotate back into place, start the engine and away we go. Fun

Stargeezer
03-09-2011, 03:19 PM
They should make a factory option with lift gate and rear of cab entry. Enjoy your truck.

But where would I put my Fifth Wheel Hitch???

Signed - "picks on guys who can walk"[laugh][laugh][laugh]

yellowhemi
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Wow! That is some serious modification.

15 Digger
03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
But where would I put my Fifth Wheel Hitch???

Signed - "picks on guys who can walk"[laugh][laugh][laugh]
LOL, it sticks like glue that damned mad hat. I hope his wooden leg gets termites.[laugh]

Blake Clark
03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
LOL, it sticks like glue that damned mad hat. I hope his wooden leg gets termites.[laugh]

Im a telling...... :p

Larry,

Glad to see everything is moving along!

Rednecktastic
03-10-2011, 01:38 AM
What kinda tires to go with the 4 inch lift :) ?

Stargeezer
03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Just stock for now. The bank account will have to recover before any more changes can happen. I have been looking :):):) (shhhh! don't tell the wife!!)

My main worry is towing - I have no idea how the lift might affect that ability. Blake and many others have proven that these trucks can tow great,I just don't want to mess that up. I tow a lot.

cbrahs
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
with a 4" bodylift, pulling a 5th wheel is out of the question. insurance won't cover it nor would I want that kind of flex. having a bodylift on my last truck, it was nothing but problems. I am sure this company has it pinned down to stiffen it up more than the avg off the shelf bodylift.

redlineguy
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice to see they seem to care about your truck too!!

Stargeezer
03-10-2011, 10:13 AM
with a 4" bodylift, pulling a 5th wheel is out of the question. insurance won't cover it nor would I want that kind of flex. having a bodylift on my last truck, it was nothing but problems. I am sure this company has it pinned down to stiffen it up more than the avg off the shelf bodylift.

I'd like to know why you say insurance won't cover it? I've not gotten any neg feedback from my company about the lift. IL may be different than NM too.

cbrahs
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
just was told by an adjuster (friend of mine) that works for an insurance company that they would not cover a bodylifted truck pulling a 5th or a goose because of the flex and lack of structural support between the bed and frame and not having the capability of being truely secure. not saying that the company doing your bodylift is doing anything wrong. I would just make sure with your insurance company before hitchin it up

Rednecktastic
03-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd probably go with a custom flatbed personally. It can eat up some of the body lift.

You would probably be ahead or near even by selling that drw mega bed.

I'd also go to a 19.50 wheel and taller tires.

You can sell what you currently have, I bet someone would buy those dodge aluminum wheels pretty quick.

I'd also put some type of running board on it to hide the frame so it's less obvious.

Just bouncing some ideas out there.

Stargeezer
03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I'd probably go with a custom flatbed personally. It can eat up some of the body lift.

You would probably be ahead or near even by selling that drw mega bed.

I'd also go to a 19.50 wheel and taller tires.

You can sell what you currently have, I bet someone would buy those dodge aluminum wheels pretty quick.

I'd also put some type of running board on it to hide the frame so it's less obvious.

Just bouncing some ideas out there.

I've wondered about the custom towing beds - I have not seen any online pricing to use for evaluation, but it would be nice. I like the look of the 19.5's I've seen and I really like the Michlien 19.5 tires I have on my 16k lb motorhome. They perform great on it.

15 Digger
03-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Nice flatbeds here, http://www.800toolbox.com/

Stargeezer
03-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Gang,

It's been a while since my last update, but I hadn't heard anything from Ryno either. Today I called to check on things and was told that the floor in back in place and the split driveshaft is finished. They are now just waiting on a few more parts to tie things up. With any sucess, they hope to have it on the way to me in a couple weeks. I'm waiting for some pics of the progress and as soon as I get those I'll see if I can post them for you all.

Be Well All,
Larry

Stargeezer
03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Gang, I received some pics of my truck from Ryno today. It's looking pretty good as they make the push to the finish in a week or so.

The truck is heading off for it's new drive shaft. I'm not too sure exactly what is being changed but I suppose it's because of the lift. They have done both a body and chassis lift to make room for everything.

To me it looks a little funny - I may "need" bigger tires and wheels! Don't know that I want to do that, I'll have to find something that will close up a little of the wheelwell gap - man it's big!

I also doubt that the husky mudflaps I ordered are going to work - I think I'm going to need something a little longer......

Here is the new side view;

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-side1.jpg

For reference - the front bumper is 22 inches, the rear is 30 inches and the frame rails are at 24 inches. I hope that when the lift is mounted to the bottom of the truck, I have 12 inches of clearence. Not much for such a high stepper, but it is what it is and the state of illinois won't let it go higher.

Rear View:

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-rear.jpg

And a couple of the inside;

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-inside1.jpg

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno-inside2.jpg

What do you think???? Does anybody need a meagcab back seat????

cbrahs
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
very nice! I am always happy to see that people with handicaps don't let it control their lives, rather they take the bull by the horns and kick its tail! CONGRATS! and my hats off to you brother. Can't wait to see the pics and if you are ever in NM area, give me a shout!

Stargeezer
03-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks Chris! In fact, we will be there later this year. Don't know when yet. I have to make a run that way for some business.

We lived in ElPaso in the early 90's while I worked at Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holoman AFB and Sandia.

Man, did I ever rack up the miles out there. I loved the desert, my wife love grass, trees and snow - I love her, so we now live in the police state of illinois.

BTY - I'm a disabled vet too. I took a tumble off a missile launcher 26 years ago next month, thats how I picked up the extra hardware. I've now been out twice as long as I served - never thought I'd say that!!!

Be Well Bro!

cbrahs
03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
looking forward to you guys coming down and us having some green chili!

redlineguy
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Looking good, needs BIG tires:cool:

Thanks for your service.:cool:

Rednecktastic
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd go to rickson wheels website and look for some 19.5's and tires in the 35-37 inch range. Or if you really want to get some mileage out of a set of tires maybe look at some 22.5s.

The truck looks good btw. You could probably sell those stock wheels/tires for a pretty good price since they just came out with them.

SpectreBoy
03-30-2011, 01:20 PM
What do you think???? Does anybody need a meagcab back seat????

I think I'd like one, if it would fit and fold down in my truck, I'm sure the headrest would have to come off but thats no big deal as long as it would fold down flat like it did in your truck, think it would work in a regular crew cab? with some minor bracket changes? or just fit right in? Thats one thing I wish I had got a Mega Cab for was just the back seat. Silly Me Eh?

Stargeezer
03-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd enjoy the life of the 22.5's, but how would that do with the rest of the truck? I do a LOT of RV towing - 10k+ miles a year a year. I really don't want to screw that up.

Stargeezer
03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
I was looking at 5vers today and mentioned to the salesman that the truck was lifted. You would have thought I'd turned into a vampire! He said there was no way I could ever tow a 5'ver with the lift that is on my truck.

Is anybody towing one with a lifted truck?

Maybe I should start a new thread, but this is related (in my feeble mind)

Purplezr2
03-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Fifth or bumper pull?

Stargeezer
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
How about either one. Does it tow ok or is there stability issues?? That was what he said about travel trailers, and he said Fifth Wheel trailers will bind on the bed.

Purplezr2
03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
I would guess it would be easier to do a bumper pull with a lifted truck, that said I'm not a fan of anything bumper pull, I just think fifth/GN ride alot nicer. I'm sure others will have more input

cbrahs
03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
here is the issue that you have. with a bodylift, there is a lot of fabrication to make the 5th wheel hitch attach to the frame. We had a wrecked truck come in that was pulling a trailer and the first thing the insurance guy asked, was there a bodylift. I asked why would that be relevant (playing dumb i was) and he said that there is nobody out there making a safe 5th wheel set up for a truck with a bodylift and that would certify it for the weight rating due to the mounting pains. your best bet would be a bumper pull

on edit- the other issue is since it is lifted that tall, the bed to trailer clearance will be little to none, get in a flex situation and takes out the bed and the neck of the trailer overhanging the bed. A fix for that is flipping the axles on the trailer to lift the trailer but then that in itself would cause an issue getting in and out of it in a chair.

Stargeezer
03-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the heads up. If I decide on switching to a 5'ver, I'll plan on switching to a towing bed and doing away with the lift back there totally.

I've been looking at a few online, but hav'nt seen one for a short bed yet.

I'm bugged by the chassis lift, I was not told about it until it was done. And I just don't think it was required - if it arrives here with a foot of space under the wheelchair lift - I'm going to make them remove blasted mess. I'm not rock crawing or mudding and I don't like the look of it.

cbrahs
03-31-2011, 11:18 PM
did they do a body lift or a chassis lift?

an RV styly hauler bed would totally eliminate your clearance issues and allow the 5th wheel to be used! totally spaced that idea!

Stargeezer
03-31-2011, 11:40 PM
They did a 3" body lift and (I think) a 4" Rear nad 6" front chassis lift.

A "creative" solution may just be the best answer. Thanks, Chris. Your friend does VERY nice work.

Rednecktastic
04-02-2011, 02:15 PM
You'll be able to fit 40's under that sucker! Not that you'd want to do that...

Seriously though, if they need a lift why not just a 2, 3 or 4 inch lift?

Stargeezer
04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't know - as high as that is, I'll be able to roll under it and change my own oil without a pit.

Stargeezer
04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I just was updated by Ryno Mobility. At long last, my truck will be picked up by the shipper in the morning.
I'm uncertain how quickly it will make the trip up to Illinois, but they felt it will be here mid week or so. The mobility dealer in Springfield will install the hand controls and check everything out before they expect me to show up - right.... Want to bet I'll be checking for the truck everyday???? :):)

I'll update anything new ASAP.

cbrahs
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
keep after em Larry! can't wait to see pics!

any update on the subwoofer? is it still there?

Stargeezer
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
According to the office gal it was relocated. I've asked them to ship all parts they removed in the bed of the truck. If it's been taken out, they know I'm looking for it.

Anybody need any "never used" mega back seat parts???? :) Or know where I can sell them?

cbrahs
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
i would try the classifieds here Larry to sell any spare parts you can. I am sure they will go fast.

Stargeezer
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Friends,

At long last, the truck is finished in Florida. It will be picked up by the shipper today (it was supposed to be last week) and will hopefully be in Illinois on tuesday with delivery to me on Wednesday.

Here are the "as Built" pics they just sent to me. Hot off the computer;

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno2-side.jpg

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno2-back.jpg

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno2-left.jpg

http://www.lostcreekpottery.com/ryno2-right.jpg

Now if the transport goes as planned we'll get it home for some high quality photo work.

Larry

SpectreBoy
04-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Darn Larry that thing is wild looking, no wonder you need the wheel chair lift, I think I'd have to use it to get into that thing[laugh][laugh]

Stargeezer
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
They dropped the bumper enough to be legal in Illinois (30" to the bottom), but I can't believe that the rear wheels are that exposed. I'm going to have to find some big mud flaps. The ones from Husky are not going to cut it.

Busboy
04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
They dropped the bumper enough to be legal in Illinois (30" to the bottom), but I can't believe that the rear wheels are that exposed. I'm going to have to find some big mud flaps. The ones from Husky are not going to cut it.

Does that ever look good. Looks like the rear bumper is 1 1/2inches lower but what did they do with your hitch? Here is a link to a lifted truck pulling a 5ver. http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2887/title/rv66a/cat/1287 [coffee]

Stargeezer
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Thats a little bigger than my truck - I'd say about 3 feet taller - but I like it!

cbrahs
04-16-2011, 11:00 AM
lookin good Larry! can't wait to see it in person when you guys travel thru!

Stargeezer
04-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Does that ever look good. Looks like the rear bumper is 1 1/2inches lower but what did they do with your hitch? Here is a link to a lifted truck pulling a 5ver. http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2887/title/rv66a/cat/1287 [coffee]

As far as I know the hitch is in it's original place on the frame rails - which means it's now 4" higher than stock. I've got to put a hitch on that rides below the stocker - etrailer stocks one that I'll be ordering this weekend. I may still need a longer drop for my WD hitch setup, but I'm not ordering that until I can get some very solid measurements on the new hitch. The stock hitch is too light for my taste anyway, so thatís no big deal. Iíll put on a class V rated for 15,000 lbs.

Red Ram 2011
04-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I just got an aluminum bed from TG Mountaineer in West Virginia and am very pleased. He has a photo on his website (website removed) with a short bed on the Mega Cab Ram.

Stargeezer
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I just got an aluminum bed from TG Mountaineer in West Virginia and am very pleased. He has a photo on his website (website removed) with a short bed on the Mega Cab Ram.

Thanks! Thats a nice looking bed. Was that the bed you bought? I wonder how it would do with the fifth wheel hitch?

Red Ram 2011
04-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Yes, that was the same as what I bought. He also does the custom hauler beds that are real nice. If you talk to him he may have photos of a 5th wheel mounted in one of the beds. Very easy guy to work with. If you tell him about the body lift I think he would build a headache rack on the front to match the higher cab contour. One of the nice things about this guy is he custom builds the front of these beds to match the truck cab contour. You don't end up with one size fits all with a big wind grabber sticking out past the cab..

gorms
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Nice looking truck there Stargeezer. :)

Just a thought for towing, ever think of one of those trailer dollies that you can stick a 5th wheel onto? I would never say I know everything about towing (I have a bumper pull travel trailer) but I have a post over in the RV/Towing forum about them. For simplicity sake a bumper pull and a lower hitch like you have coming is the way to go safely, just a thought though. Good luck. :cool: