PDA

View Full Version : Political Discussion on DTR - READ FIRST!

jthorpe
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
For almost two years now, DTR has disallowed political discussion on the site.

There are two reasons why I'm changing this policy. For starters, the AP site has been slow in its growth. It seems that many of you are willing to have political discussion but the feedback I've gotten is that many of you aren't also willing to join another site just to have it.

Secondly, All-Politics is made more for general political discussion and many of the topics over there have nothing to do with Dodge Diesels. Given that fact, as of today, DTR is back open for political discussion.

A couple of things to remember when using this new forum.

1. No bashing: We will not tolerate insults and trash talking between members. We never have in the past, and we don't plan on allowing it now. DTR is still a family oriented site and we intend to keep it that way. People have already been permanently been banned as a result of their posts in this forum section. Don't be one of them!!! If you can't handle a discussion without controlling your temper, do NOT POST HERE.

2. Try and keep it on topic: I understand some of the conversations here will not be related toward diesels, automobiles etc. That's okay but please try and keep the discussion "on topic" as much as possible, meaning something related to our trucks.

3. If you don't like it, don't read it: What I mean by this is that if you don't like political discussion, just stay away from this part of the site entirely. I'm sure some of the conversation will be heated. That's ok as long as you are respectful. However, if you are one of those who can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

Have fun with it and please keep these points in mind when using the political discussion area.

Clayten
08-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I am looking forward to this new section. Thanks.

Raspy
08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
It's a good idea because, in some cases, the subject cannot be sepatated from politics. For instance discussions about oil or polution controls.

We had one recently where almost every reply about oil touched on politics and everyone though it would be shut down any minute. It was generally civil and brought out a lot of views on the subject.

Polution controls really get us excited and the more we understand the politics of the matter the better off we'll be, both as voters and truck owners who are interested in economy, reliability and performance.

As long as it's civil it can be very informative and worthwhile. But civility may be hard to maintain. I hope it works out very well.

jthorpe
08-05-2008, 11:10 PM
That's a good point, Raspy and that's also a lot of the feedback I've gotten. It's sometimes difficult to discuss those kinds of subjects without it getting somewhat political. We'll see how it goes but I'm sure it'll work out fine.

TexasCTD
08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Jack, Thanks a bunch. I am one of those that would like to occasionally make a political point or read about someone elses'. But I just don't have time to read thru and become involved in another website. I am definately one of those you mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of the first post here.

Thanks. I really appreciate you offering us the ability to read, post, learn, and make friends here. :)

haloman
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks Jack it is much appreciated.

dieselcarpenter
08-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I was big over on the other site there for a while but then I just so busy All I could find time for was DTR this is also good because now we have a wider audience, it was a ghost town over there.

Lets see how it goes. I will still put my money on a high padlock count!! ;)

herb
08-10-2008, 07:14 AM
uh-oh---are we starting with clean slates? [coffee]

P.J
08-15-2008, 03:12 AM
Just noticed this because of an odd thread started (in the POLITICAL forum I didn't know existed)

I'm not sure this is the best idea, but I don't have a say, so.........

Let the banning begin!

jthorpe
08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
uh-oh---are we starting with clean slates? [coffee]

Herb, you will never have a clean slate. ;)

Colo_River_Ram
08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for adding this section..

Separating the price of diesel fuel from politics is like telling the folks who were on the Titanic they can talk about the cold rising water but not how the hole got in the ship.

I won't even ask that my slate be cleaned..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

herb
08-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for adding this section..

Separating the price of diesel fuel from politics is like telling the folks who were on the Titanic they can talk about the cold rising water but not how the hole got in the ship.

I won't even ask that my slate be cleaned..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Would'nt do any good to ask----Jack is a real hard nose !! [nonono]

jthorpe
08-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Just don't ever call me brown nosed ;)

herb
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Never entertained the thought [coffee]

jthorpe
08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
yeah, right. lol

jthorpe
12-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Guys, I'm not kidding about being respectful on this site. There are no more warnings in the political section. If you insult other members, you will be gone forever on the first offense. This section takes up more moderation time then all of the other sections combined.

YOUVE ALL BEEN WARNED. We will not play

thumper549
12-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Democrats suck...Just kidding LOL

Rough-n-Ready
12-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Here we go. It seems that almost any subject can be spun into a political issue with passionate viewpoints. I can see some very heated threads in the near future.....

Hope everyone can keep the gloves on and we can all be good terms after this. [nonono]

thumper549
12-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Ohh I think we are intelligent to say what we want to say with out saying your mother wears combat boots...after all it is the politicians not ea other we are ****** at !!

wyododge
12-14-2008, 03:17 AM
I actually joined because you do allow a bit of politics in the discussions. It is interesting to read the opinions of others no matter how wrong, ignorant, or uninformed they are. LOL!!!

herb
12-27-2008, 12:42 PM
It appears this political forum is destined for failure.---Moderators should have been more properly screened and a fairer balance of moderators put in place.
With the majority of the designated moderators obviously being of the far right persuasion too many judgment calls were to the right hence the lefties have left for more fair forums.
While I would not want to participate in a forum that was all lefties this far right forum is more than I and many lefties can any longer enjoy.

Lary Ellis (Top)
12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
It appears this political forum is destined for failure.---Moderators should have been more properly screened and a fairer balance of moderators put in place.
With the majority of the designated moderators obviously being of the far right persuasion too many judgment calls were to the right hence the lefties have left for more fair forums.
While I would not want to participate in a forum that was all lefties this far right forum is more than I and many lefties can any longer enjoy.

Well if you can't handle the heat, then stay out of the kitchen ;)

Justwannabeme
12-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I like to hear your thoughts Herb, just hate Clintons, you never had to deal with them like we do in New York......or lose a family member to politics through them.[verymad] but I am about as fair as the weather, so let me moderate TOP! i promise to leave all the guns locked up and not shoot my mouth off.[laugh]

madhat
12-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I may be to the right, but I try to be fair and respectful. I have seen many threads that I totally disagree with that I let go.
I guess it has a lot to do with viewpoint. It also has a lot to do with how other members react to it, and treat each other through the course of the thread. I have let more questionable threads go longer because everyone was playing nice, and more sound threads have been locked because of what was posted in replies.

Either way you slice it, do what makes you happy.

patdaly
12-27-2008, 05:32 PM
C'mon Herb, respectful? Yea, there are some righties who are a bit tough on your side, but the majority of the time when things get heated, it is because one side refuses to answer the question.

jthorpe
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Herb, cry me a river. We have been very LIBERAL about letting threads go in here. Some of them have gotten ridiculous but we have let them go anyway. However, if someone is getting insulting, then we may close one down or remove it depending on how much time it takes to fix. So don't give me any of that junk, you know better than that.

kelley15
12-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Not to pick a fight ,but Herb has a point. I am very conservative and I do not agree with Herb on much of anything. I have seen the lefties picked on unmercifully. I try to stay away from politics because I have very strong convictions on what I think is just. I think most of us could be a little better to the libs. No matter how much we disagree.
A discussion is not much fun if we all agree.We have lost to many members because of this.

mikmaze
12-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I keep seeing these stickied and hope one day to read one that says after much adoo... we give up and move this back out to another site....... o well, just seems to take up so much valuable space, with little or nothing to do with trucks. sure I can not read it them, and I don't read them, just this sticky in hopes of it all going away in a big black cloud of diesel smoke.

herb
12-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Herb, cry me a river. We have been very LIBERAL about letting threads go in here. Some of them have gotten ridiculous but we have let them go anyway. However, if someone is getting insulting, then we may close one down or remove it depending on how much time it takes to fix. So don't give me any of that junk, you know better than that.

Just look closely at the participation in this forum. Note who the few participants are that are still here and who has left.
It's a shame it was allowed to disintegrate as it did. Again i submit to you primarily because of the strong right moderators.
As far as "crying" you a river goes, i was simply trying to point out to you what perhaps you should have been able to see without someone trying to bring it to your attention.

sodbuster03
12-28-2008, 07:28 AM
What is fair? When you ask for someone to back up their opinons with facts & they start the insulting and name calling. I'm just as guilty but only when prevoked[laugh] & I've had to sit out a few days as a result[tapdshut] on more than one occasion. I am more than happy to admitt when I've been proven wrong by facts, the same cannot be said for most of those on the left. When they are proven wrong it's allways a conspiracy or I'm a racist & bigot.

madhat
12-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I have seen the lefties picked on unmercifully..

I'm not trying to imply that you are wrong, do don't take it that way, but show me. Show me so I can see what you are talking about, and maybe I can learn.

I'll add this in for a comment... I have edited my share of threads over there, and when I send a PM to the user who's thread I edited, telling him why I did, I usually get a very profane response, with comments to the effect of my being a retard, a right wing nazi, and just general insults. No respect whatsoever, and I make sure to send an unbiased PM to them, nice as I can be.

Maybe that's why people get banned...

Shovelhead
12-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Herb, some of the "Leftys" were banned from here and all-politics for their PMs to the moderators after being contacted via PM to stop personal attacks in the forums.

While most of us may allow heated discussions from both sides, I draw the line at someone telling me to kiss parts of their anatomy after I inform them to cease personal attacks on other members in the forums.

jthorpe
12-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I'll just leave this final statement. You're adults, not babies. You know the difference between right and wrong. If you choose wrong, then you will be gone and if you choose to be respectful, you can present your opinion all you want, every day, for the rest of your life.

Don't blame this site, or this forum for some people's lack of people skills. It's not my problem and I'm not going to remove a popular portion of the site just to avoid posters who can't think like a rational human being. As a matter of fact, I would RATHER that type of riff raff be gone from here so as not to have to deal with them again in the future.

For once, the blame needs to be shifted to the people throwing the insults. Accept responsibility and move on people. This is ridiculous. YOU and only YOU choose how you react!

Mexstan
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Just noticed that the AP site has been going since 08-05-2008 and in spite of dire predictions of an early demise and lots of locks, here it is, still going strong and growing. Somebody must be doing something right. Congrats to the mods for keeping everybody in line, especially when things predictably get a bit heated or someone tries to hijack a thread.
One thing that I have noticed is that the discussion tends to get heated when someone refuses to answer a question or deliberately tries to sidetrack the conversation. I know that it annoys me no end. Maybe it is just the anti troll in me.
Jack, thanks for permitting politics on a truck site.

FiverBob
12-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Just noticed something - - this portion of the forum does not have a functioning "EDIT" button. Is there some reason why not?
Bob

Bark
12-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Prehaps Is becaus some peple look stupide on ther first draft.
Also- "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" because "I am not a crook" so "Read my lips", "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".
Some people would have really liked an "EDIT" button.
(Its just a theory)

Abbey109
05-01-2014, 09:02 PM
You do recognize this is a Diesel forum and not Gas right... [nonono]