PDA

View Full Version : New motor oil in fuel????

blown32
09-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Just a crazy thought:

I have some NEW motor oil that I will no longer need (several gallons). I see some folks talking about running their used oil in the fuel tank. I would not be comfortable with that (even though many report many many trouble free miles). But....

What do you guys think about a small amount of new oil each fill? Something like 1 quart?

I am not planning on doing this as I am sure I would eventually use the oil, even if itís just to dip pistons in prior to engine assembly or to run it for the 20 min cam break-in period then dump (recycle) it.

I am just curious as to what folks think of it.

Are their any benefits?

Any drawbacks?

Just thought it might be interesting to think about

Geico266
09-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Not a problem at all. 1-2 quarts per tank will not harm the engine at all.

kd460
09-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Actually, I think cummins said 5% is fine. They reccomend 5% with (I forget the name) their oil recycling machine. Basically it is a super duper filtration machine desined for used engine oil. They say 5% of this is cool. So, if it is new oil, I would think you could use the same amount. Kevin

infidel
09-20-2005, 10:59 AM
No problem for the engine with the oil but for lubricity per dollar you are money ahead to use a designed for diesel fuel additive.

blown32
09-20-2005, 07:46 PM
I agree that just about any made for the application product would work better (much better). I use PS and some Lucas in each tank. If I did this, it would be just to use up oil that has been sitting for a few years and will likely sit for a few more. The thought would be to burn it instead of store it or giving it away. Might use it inplace of the Lucas but continue the PS.

redneckonthenet
09-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I have been burning used (filtered) motor oil in mine since the day I got it. Mine gets a gallon and a half per fill-up. 36 gallon x 5% = 1.8 gallons. Smokes a little most under heavy accel. Cant figure new oil would be any worse!

Equalizer 2
09-25-2005, 03:11 PM
As he has a 04.5 with the Cat Convertor and I have the same is there any chance of causing problems with the Cat?

Dr. Evil
09-25-2005, 08:56 PM
If youre going to use new oil get 30 wt non detergent. Its real cheap at walmart.