PDA

View Full Version : The left/right turn pop noise

Garz
03-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know what that pop noise is when i turn the wheel to the left/right all the way, (usually while entering or exiting a drive way)? I'm guessing it's fairly common since most the deliv. trucks where i work do it too. Just had the u-joints, tie rod ends, and drag link replaced.

Monty
03-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Mine does it as well. I have replaced the upper and lower control arm bushings, and the springs with MOOG parts. Still no luck.

nascar mark
03-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Its the springs. Since a had the lift put in I haven't heard it once. The factory puts slide shims between the leafs and the new lift has none.

Holsteinman
03-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Nascar Mark,<br> What about on a 2wd? Mine does the same thing and my brother thought it might be the control arm bushings. With Okie replacing them and the springs I wonder what it could be?<br><br>Paul

Jbolt001
03-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Have you checked the upper kingpin bushings? I replaced mine today and the popping you describe is gone along with a few other problems.<br><br>nascarmark- fwiw, my factory springs do not have shims.<br><br>Jay

nascar mark
03-08-2003, 10:45 PM
<br>Have you checked the upper kingpin bushings? I replaced mine today and the popping you describe is gone along with a few other problems.<br><br>nascarmark- fwiw, my factory springs do not have shims.<br><br>Jay<br><br><br>You have to take the springs apart to see the plastic shims.<br>

Jbolt001
03-09-2003, 08:30 AM
[quote author=nascar mark <br><br>You have to take the springs apart to see the plastic shims.<br><br><br><br>I should clarify- I have had the springs apart to put in add-a-leaf springs, there were no shims<br><br>Jay

Monty
03-09-2003, 08:34 AM
I didnt see any shims in mine as well ???

nascar mark
03-09-2003, 03:17 PM
??? Ok, well that throws that theory out the window. ::)

ZONE5AB
03-09-2003, 05:45 PM
I don't know about the 4WD, but on 2WD the popping noise on full turns is caused by the spindle stops. The spindle has an extended boss that contacts the lower control arm to act as a stop. If the stops make contact while the suspension is in motion there will be a pop.<br>Applying a big gob of chassis grease to both stops will cure the problem.

Lil Dog
03-10-2003, 02:53 PM
<br>I don't know about the 4WD, but on 2WD the popping noise on full turns is caused by the spindle stops. The spindle has an extended boss that contacts the lower control arm to act as a stop. If the stops make contact while the suspension is in motion there will be a pop.<br>Applying a big gob of chassis grease to both stops will cure the problem.<br><br><br><br>Yep, my 89 and this 93 both did/do it. I just try not to go all the way to the stop. Sounds worse going over uneven terrain against the stop. There are angle cut stops on the rear of the spindle that contact the arms, funny setup.<br><br>J-eh

Jeeper
03-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Mine makes this noise also. Not every turn, but a lot of 'em. This is not full steering turns, just making corners. I wonder if it is loose shackle bushings/bolts? Nothing feels loose in the knuckles or steering linkage. I plan to jack up the front by the frame and let the front suspension hang so I can check for something loose.

Commatoze
03-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Check the steering box mounting hardware. Mine were loose and I heard and felt a pop thru the steering wheel until they were tightened.