PDA

View Full Version : Just drove a 6.7L/68RE and 07 6.6L Dmax

supercharged_hp
03-24-2007, 07:06 PM
I just got back from driving a the new style Chevrolet truck back to back with a 6.7L Cummins. Both were QCSB 4x4 2500's, brand new, just delivered trucks.

First, the 6.7L Cummins feels stronger than the Duramax! It will spin the tires easier than the Dmax and they both had similar 265 rubber. The Ram actually hazed the tires in 3rd gear, that blew me away. Any time you put it to the floor the truck was struggling for traction. The new GMs are heavier and I believe the Ram would outrun the Dmax. It would beat my 06 5.9L Cummins with the Bullydog on the lower settings for sure.

Second, the exhaust brake on the Ram is the coolest feature I've ever seen on a diesel truck. It sounds a lot like a Jake brake which suprised me being that it works off the turbo not valvetrain, and it really does work awesome.

The engine is amazingly quiet. It definately seems 50% quieter than the 5.9L like they claim... interior noise is also noticeably less.

The VGT turbo lights in a flash, low end response is better than the Duramax.

The new 68RE is an excellent transmission, it seemed "smarter" than the Allison and every bit as solid. It was only revving around 1500 or 1600 rpm at 60 mph as well.

I am completely blown away with this new powertrain and this is coming from someone who was green with envy over the old LBZ Dmax and Allison combo. This is going to be the best towing package around. What the new GM's do have is an amazing interior and decent looks, and the ride was a little smoother, but as far as diesel trucks go I think Dodge has just made a huge leap forward and they're going to sell these things like hotcakes.

I also drove a 6.4L Ford a while back and would prefer the new Cummins and Duramax over it by a long shot.

The reason I actually have been driving these is because my buddy is ordering a truck this week and he got shifted from a guy who was dead set on a Dmax GMC 2500 to wanting a Ram.

grantx5
03-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Great info. Guess I have to go try them myself. Can't wait to drive with the 68rfe.

morkable
03-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Great write up,, but I have one correction for you,, the chevy is considerably lighter than the ram. It is so much lighter in fact that the 2500 chevy has more load carrying capacity and trailer towing capacity than the 3500 dodge. That being said, I am still up in the air.... I just drove a chevy today, mind you the 07 old style one, but it sure drove nice, mighty tempted, and it was considerably less expensive than the dodge. Over 2 grand difference on the first comeback from the dealers

Kevin

EMD-RUN8
03-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, but V8 diesels just sound so lame.[guitar]

West Coast
03-24-2007, 09:53 PM
I just drove a chevy today, mind you the 07 old style one, but it sure drove nice, mighty tempted, and it was considerably less expensive than the dodge. Over 2 grand difference on the first comeback from the dealers

If you are spending over 35K for a truck what is another 2 grand?[laugh]

morkable
03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I agree, but Im not sure that there is a huge differnce between for the average use, that is why I am listening here. And trust me I am a dodge man, love my 03. But I have to watch the pocket book too

Kevin

Oh and I wish it was only 35 grand,, more like 60+ here

West Coast
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Any of the three big trucks will work fine for the average person. You are right, it all comes down to personal choice and cost. I love to see all the big, lifted dodge trucks in my city that have a tow package that will never be used. Diesel trucks have truely become grocery getting machines for 95% of their owners...[laugh]

I will get a 07 Dodge as soon as I can find a used one with a exhaust brake in my area. I want to let someone else take the intial hit on the "New" price tag.

Dave

MikeyB
03-25-2007, 09:00 AM
I gotta stay out of the 6.7L forums! Just got my truck paid off and now thinking the 6.7L/6spd auto is one sweet ride![duhhh] [duhhh]
And my wife will be doing this....[dummy] [dummy] [dummy]

MikeyB

mikmaze
03-25-2007, 09:04 AM
on the quieter note, we all know that these engines loosen up auick, and then let them selves be heard, then we do things to them, cut off perfectly good ss exhaust systems, remove noise killing intake stuff...... granted yes, new is quiet, but only till we drive em like we stole em.[coffee]

supercharged_hp
03-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Great write up,, but I have one correction for you,, the chevy is considerably lighter than the ram. It is so much lighter in fact that the 2500 chevy has more load carrying capacity and trailer towing capacity than the 3500 dodge. That being said, I am still up in the air.... I just drove a chevy today, mind you the 07 old style one, but it sure drove nice, mighty tempted, and it was considerably less expensive than the dodge. Over 2 grand difference on the first comeback from the dealers

Kevin
Sorry I didn't mean heavier than the Dodge, I meant heavier than before. The old LBZ trucks would probably be quicker than the new GMT900 chassis and the LBM or whatever the new one is called with the weight difference.

Have you drove a 6.7L/68RE yet? Capital Dodge has got a QCSB 4x4 2500 Sport package in black if you want to drive one.

The old GMs are super cheap because they are trying to get them off the lots... not that its a bad thing, but these new GMT900s are a lot nicer IMO. Then again, they are asking about $6k more for them vs a Dodge with the same options.

All it took was a drive in one and I was blown away over how different the truck is compared to my 2006 with just the different powertrain.

morkable
03-25-2007, 11:26 PM
I didnt realize at first you were from edmonton. I might have to make a trip up to edmonton to try that, it dosent look like we are going to be getting any here til may. I have to admit my first instinct is to go for the dodge, but,,,, that particulate filter worries me, especially seeing as we dont have USLD in any pumps yet. And the price is considerably higher on the dodge, I would more than enough left over to put a exhaust brake on the chevy... It is a tough decision

Kevin

supercharged_hp
03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
You don't have ULSD yet? That's wierd, there's been ULSD here in Edmonton and back in N.E Alberta where our trucks work for a long time now. I thought all refineries would have switched over to ULSD as of Jan 1, unless it was farm diesel or something like that.

I'd really recommend taking one for a drive... I think it would push you away from the GM. I really wasn't expecting it too be that good lol. I got quoted for a huge amount off MSRP so I don't think these guys in Edmonton are going to try gouging you over the new style powertrain too much, it might be different up north in GP or Fort Mac though where everyone's got fat wallets lol.

Boz007
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I didnt realize at first you were from edmonton. I might have to make a trip up to edmonton to try that, it dosent look like we are going to be getting any here til may. I have to admit my first instinct is to go for the dodge, but,,,, that particulate filter worries me, especially seeing as we dont have USLD in any pumps yet. And the price is considerably higher on the dodge, I would more than enough left over to put a exhaust brake on the chevy... It is a tough decision

Kevin

I thought all of the three new trucks had particulate filters?

Crimedog
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
The Duramax also uses a DPF. There's some interesting reading here (http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0702dp_last_gmc_duramax_diesel/) on the new D max.

supercharged_hp
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I think he means a pre-Jan 2007 built GM thats on the lots. They can be called a 2007 and still just use the regular catalytic converter. Just like the 2007 Dodge's with the 5.9L.

The new GMT900 GM trucks (new body style + new emissions systems) are far more money than a 6.7L Cummins Ram, but he's comparing the old 2007 GM to a 6.7 Ram.

morkable
03-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes that is correct. I am going to have to take a drive to edmonton in the near future I see. The chevy dealer is making me a very good offer to buy this chevy, and I have to admit it is pretty nice

kevin

ramtd02
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes that is correct. I am going to have to take a drive to edmonton in the near future I see. The chevy dealer is making me a very good offer to buy this chevy, and I have to admit it is pretty nice

kevin

Kev, Buddy, dont be sucked into the dark side!!! You are buying this truck as a tow rig so your 03 can get even more power!!! Tow rig = DoDGE!! If you were buying something too drive with no pulling whatsoever, then yeah maybe the chubby.

And kev, GP is ULSD!! Infact everything except dyed right now is ULSD, up here we dont have too label it as such....simply because we are just going with the US on this one....Not even legislated here!!

rstone
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
morkable go ahead and buy you a 6.7 with the auto you will like it. Man I was just playing around today and power brake man the tire just lit up in smoke real easy. I like mine alot.

Valv
03-30-2007, 07:15 PM
I really like this final paragraph for the article linked above:

" If it's anything like the future light-duty Cummins and GM engines we've been hearing about, then may have overhead cams, make more power, and have emissions cleaner than those nerdy gas-electric hybrids that are all the rage-for now. "

morkable
03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Well I test drove the 6.7, I really liked it, very good power, loved that jake brake, everything was awesome,,,,,, but,,,,, those seats suck severely. I hated those seats, and the interest rate, 5.9%. Sooo I bought a chevy, 0% interest, about 4 grand less.. worth a try.. still a dodge man, but I think this unit will work pretty good for me too

kevin

hobbz
03-31-2007, 04:59 AM
To add to the hype about the 6.7, I test drove one yesterday. I stopped at a red light and when it turned green, I hit the gas, not to the floor, but now grannying it either. Well, I look back in the rear view mirror, and I have completly left all the other cars behind. This thing is quick.

rstone
03-31-2007, 10:02 AM
well the other day I was messing around with my buddy on the highway with a 5.9 with the edge ez and we stay right beside each other so I am getting use to this 6.7 it got pretty good power to be stock.

RadRam
03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Lets be real here - I own a lifted 08 6.4 L F350 4X4 6" lift 35s & am in the process of buying a 07 6.7 L 4X4 3500 Megacab - I hate here piece of ([nonono] EDIT) Hemi Durango - I love the dodges but have the above ford - that sucker will eat the 6.7 & is quieter or the same as the 6.7 L - must have been icy when you drove the 6.7 - its alright but is not a rocket as some would believe.

I like both - handling - ford - ride dodge - dodge longer & stock.

I get killed if I trade the Durango on a ford in case anyone wants to know why I dont buy a ford for the wife - Both are great trucks - bottom line.

DinosDiesel
04-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Lets be real here - I own a lifted 08 6.4 L F350 4X4 6" lift 35s & am in the process of buying a 07 6.7 L 4X4 3500 Megacab - I hate here piece of (edit) Hemi Durango - I love the dodges but have the above ford - that sucker will eat the 6.7 & is quieter or the same as the 6.7 L - must have been icy when you drove the 6.7 - its alright but is not a rocket as some would believe.

I like both - handling - ford - ride dodge - dodge longer & stock.

I get killed if I trade the Durango on a ford in case anyone wants to know why I dont buy a ford for the wife - Both are great trucks - bottom line.

but the 6.7's don't start grass fires like a ford. [laugh]

morkable
04-01-2007, 02:52 AM
To be honest, I have drove all three, and I think (and not just cause I bought one) the duramax is still the quickest stock truck. They are allmost a 1000lbs lighter, more hp. But holy schlamoly,,, I just got home from Edmonton with this new duramax,, in my 03 even all modded I can make the trip in less than half a tank, approx, 40 liters... I drove the duramax back home today,,, couldnt even make it home, had to fill up,, 90 litres, now I realize it has to break in,, but holy

Kevin

billindenver
04-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Lets be real here - I own a lifted 08 6.4 L F350 4X4 6" lift 35s & am in the process of buying a 07 6.7 L 4X4 3500 Megacab - I hate here piece of (edit) Hemi Durango - I love the dodges but have the above ford - that sucker will eat the 6.7 & is quieter or the same as the 6.7

Seriously? I've driven both back to back and the ford, while coming on strong in midrange is completely lacking in throttle response down low. My fleet manager and I were out in the ford for a couple hours, and it was so poor off the line that we finally pulled out the watch. 3.5 seconds from full throttle till the turbos spooled up. We were never big fans of the 6 liter ford, but at least it came off the line like a bull. Can you imagine trying to rock the 6.4 out of a muddy mountain trail with all of that lag? How about babying it up a snowy lane? Not me brother, not in a million years...and I'm a ford fan. I was really hoping that new 6.4 would put them back in the fight...but it has fallen well short in my book. To bad, because the rest of the truck is great.

Bill

harleysnguns
04-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm new to diesels, truck in sig is my first diesel and my first Dodge truck, but I looked around alot before spending my money. Here are some thoughts why I got the Dodge.

I heard somewhere the Dmax was built by Isuzu? The aluminum heads kinda made me wonder, and the Chevys are behind Dodge and Ford in looks. New ones are better looking but still behind.

I've heard both good and bad on the Ford 6.0L. A coworker has an '03, tows a heavy trailer, but it isn't his daily driver so it doesn't see many miles and he hasn't had problems with it. A friend has an '06 6.0L and has already had a short block rebuild done to it. Course, he works it hard running his business. Now the funny part -- I've had Ford cars and gas trucks since 1990, but too many ???? on the ford diesels kept me away.

I then drove my signature truck w/ 6sp manual and yes the 5sp auto in the Ford was better suited for 90% of my driving (commuting 100 miles round trip to work) but I chose the Dodge for what I hope will be 20+ years, or ~ 400K miles, of reliable service.

just my $0.02.

duratothemax
04-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I heard somewhere the Dmax was built by Isuzu? The aluminum heads kinda made me wonder.

yes it was designed by isuzu, and no, despite what everyone thinks, the aluminum heads are not a problem. :rolleyes:

supercharged_hp
04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Lets be real here - I own a lifted 08 6.4 L F350 4X4 6" lift 35s & am in the process of buying a 07 6.7 L 4X4 3500 Megacab - that sucker will eat the 6.7 & is quieter or the same as the 6.7 L - must have been icy when you drove the 6.7 - its alright but is not a rocket as some would believe..
It definately wasn't icey when I drove it, it was on dry pavement and the new cement freeway we have and 15*C. In 1st and 2nd gear it would spin the tires when you put it to the rug and in 3rd it would be borderline, just hazing the tires. The 07 GMC we took out was basically the same way. The Ford would spin in 1st but only on the top end of the revs and then nothing in 2nd (granted it's only a 5 speed).

After driving all three I kinda doubt the 6.4L is quicker than the old 6.0L and I really doubt that it would hang with the GM or Dodge in a race. Also like Billindenver said, the Ford is still aweful off the line.... but I guess we'll have to see some track times to really know for sure.

I could see the GM could be the quickest, it is still lighter like Morkable said which is a big advantage. I'd bet the Cummins was putting down the most torque in the way it would spin the tires, it just has the extra weight to move which hurts at the track.

And the friend I drove the 08 Superduty with is a big Ford fan and was disappointed in its power, so it wasn't just me who thought it this. He drives a 6.0L for work every day and was expecting a lot more from the engine. Either way, I plan on modding my next truck so I'm going to stay far away from the Powerstroke.

supercharged_hp
04-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Well I test drove the 6.7, I really liked it, very good power, loved that jake brake, everything was awesome,,,,,, but,,,,, those seats suck severely. I hated those seats, and the interest rate, 5.9%. Sooo I bought a chevy, 0% interest, about 4 grand less.. worth a try.. still a dodge man, but I think this unit will work pretty good for me too

Are you referring to the cloth or leather seats? The 07 I drove had leather Sport seats and I thought they were decent, not as nice as the Laramie seats though.

And did you get to drive the new style GM at all? What did you think of it? I can't get over the interior, I loved the new Nav and other gadgets and all the panels actually fit together now lol.

On a side note, my friend ended up factory ordering an 07 GMC 2500 4x4... I think it came out to $75k CDN on the sticker and $67k out the door. His final reasoning was that he liked the interior better and needs a GM to pull his 68 Camaro around lol. Now I have to buy a Dodge so we don't have the same trucks.

Lil Dog
04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
To be honest, I have drove all three, and I think (and not just cause I bought one) the duramax is still the quickest stock truck. They are allmost a 1000lbs lighter, more hp. But holy schlamoly,,, I just got home from Edmonton with this new duramax,, in my 03 even all modded I can make the trip in less than half a tank, approx, 40 liters... I drove the duramax back home today,,, couldnt even make it home, had to fill up,, 90 litres, now I realize it has to break in,, but holy

Kevin

Don't you love that MASSIVE fuel cell??? Wonder why the curb weight is lower, it only holds a few gallons of fuel.. Must have a lot of fuel stops close to the home of the design team... Oh and if the mileage on my buddies LB7 is any indicator, what you get new is what you get with 180,000 Km on the dial. Get used to it..

$4K buys alot of fuel I guess, but I got better things to do than stand at the fuel hose.....[whistle]

RadRam
04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
6.4 L ford - mine - I actually own one - not just flappin my face.
No turbo lag at all, I have 3500 km on mine and its getting stronger every day. Also no flame out the back - Dam.

The 3500 - 6.7 L if you do a build & price - single wheel 4x4 lists the hp @ 325 & 610 torque.

The few I have drove sure are not rockets or should they be.

To me the duramax new - seem to be the quikest, ford 2nd Ram last
And I m a Ford - Ram lover.

I have owned 5 diesel Rams since 05 - 2 - F350 power strokes
I buy the Ford for work & better interior - motor & drive train wise there close - ford definatly had the better auto - maybe still.
The only one that has broke down on me was 05 12 valve - tranny, 03 common rail - fuel pump, clutch.

My dealer had to buy back a 6.7 L 07 cab & chasis truck - could not keep it running - there at a loss for what is wrong with it. Cant start a grass fire because it wont run long enough[laugh]

RadRam
04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
By the way IM in Calgary for the week - if anyone wants to race my 08 6.4 L Twin turbo - fire breather :cool: - against a 4x4 3500 6.7 L - Let me know - Turbo lag my azz![coffee]

supercharged_hp
04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
RadRam, maybe you drove the wrong truck because those HP/TQ numbers are wrong... that's the 5.9L's rating.

The 6.7L is rated at 350hp and 650tq with the new 6 speed auto and 350hp and 610tq with the manual.

Maybe the two 08 Superdutys I drove were duds, but I think they would have got roasted by both the 6.7 and 6.6, especially right out of the hole.

03qclb5spd
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Is it me, or am I the only one having a hard time reading RedRam posts?

From what I have read the 6.4 is not near as quick as many have expected it would be. Read that a couple ran 16 second quarter mile times. I have yet to make it to the dealerships to do my own tests. Maybe I can do that this weekend and offer up my reviews.

RadRam
04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I know I drove 07 6 spd autos, 3500 4x4 6.7 L cummins, thats what the dodge site lists for power - I could be pushing the wrong buttons[duhhh]
They are nice trucks still dealing on one for the wife - dont ask me why.

I will say this - my 06 F350 8" lift with an SCT Tow toon - is close to about the same power as my stock 08 6.6 L - its getting amazingly stronger every day - fuel milage - maybe 14 - 15 mpg max - not great. I was a little concerned about the power at the start.Maybe thats all the 6.7 L cummins needs is a few Kms.

Once I pick up the 07 6.7 L - I will see how the two compare - Im still a cummins fan - I like both. Dodge needs a special edition.

By the way I dont think a lifted mega cab can be beat for looks - thats my next project.

splitr
04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
The 325/610 rating is for the CC with Aisin Auto. The 350/650 rating is for the PU with 68RFE auto.

morkable
04-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Are you referring to the cloth or leather seats? The 07 I drove had leather Sport seats and I thought they were decent, not as nice as the Laramie seats though.

And did you get to drive the new style GM at all? What did you think of it? I can't get over the interior, I loved the new Nav and other gadgets and all the panels actually fit together now lol.

On a side note, my friend ended up factory ordering an 07 GMC 2500 4x4... I think it came out to $75k CDN on the sticker and $67k out the door. His final reasoning was that he liked the interior better and needs a GM to pull his 68 Camaro around lol. Now I have to buy a Dodge so we don't have the same trucks.

I drove a larimie, all leather, top of the line. Those seats SUCK. Worst seats I have ever drove on. My 03 all bagged out is still nicer than those ones. I looked at the new chevy, couldnt get over the outside and how ugly it is. Dont know what your buddy was buying, but my truck has all the toys other than the rear seat dvd (1680 cdn) listed at 63480, picked it up for 56k, and 0% interest, also got the dealership to give me running boards at half price, and throw in mudflaps, and give me everything else at cost.

Kevin

morkable
04-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Personally, as far as power goes, that new dodge is darn close to the duramax, I was much more impressed with the new 6.7 than the 6.4 ford. I found that the 6.4 performed much closer to the 6.0 than I would have thought. I also was able to get the 6.7 to spin the tires off the line

Kevin

06dually
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
6.4 L ford - mine - I actually own one - not just flappin my face.
No turbo lag at all

To me the duramax new - seem to be the quikest, ford 2nd Ram last

The only one that has broke down on me was 05 12 valve - tranny

First, I have driven one and the lag is marginally better than the 6.0 at best.

Second, hook 15k on behind and tell me which is quickest.

Third, I didn't know Dodge had an 05 12 valve??

supercharged_hp
04-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I drove a larimie, all leather, top of the line. Those seats SUCK. Worst seats I have ever drove on. My 03 all bagged out is still nicer than those ones. I looked at the new chevy, couldnt get over the outside and how ugly it is. Dont know what your buddy was buying, but my truck has all the toys other than the rear seat dvd (1680 cdn) listed at 63480, picked it up for 56k, and 0% interest, also got the dealership to give me running boards at half price, and throw in mudflaps, and give me everything else at cost.

Kevin
To each their own I guess. My cousin and I took an 06 Chev 2500 with leather on a road trip through BC and down to California last summer and I found my legs fell asleep in the Chev pretty quickly. My 06 Laramie on the other hand seems hard at first but if you're in it for a few hours I don't get that same feeling. Same thing with his SRT-10's seats, they are hard at first but so comfortable for long trips.

And as for the price, I think you ended up with one of these right? They are discounting them a lot to get them out the door, what you were quoted is pretty much the same as him.
http://www.reviewcar.com/pictures/chevy-silverado1.jpg

Well he got the all new GMT900 style, in the GMC Sierra. The sticker on them is freakin crazy. Nav is like a $4k option:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e355/supercharged_hp/2007GMC.jpg
http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/images/RoadTestImages/07GMCdash.jpg

tankn60
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
supercharged hp;
is the interior photo in your post of the new Chevy/GMC? Looks like something one could get back in the 60/70's GM car line. JMHO

jalewis
04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
And as for the price, I think you ended up with one of these right? They are discounting them a lot to get them out the door, what you were quoted is pretty much the same as him.
http://www.reviewcar.com/pictures/chevy-silverado1.jpg

Well he got the all new GMT900 style, in the GMC Sierra. The sticker on them is freakin crazy. Nav is like a $4k option:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e355/supercharged_hp/2007GMC.jpg
http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/images/RoadTestImages/07GMCdash.jpg

I don't mind the look of the new GMC HD, but the Chevy is downright hideous with all of the chrome.
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/pic/silverado/2007/photogallery/popup_ext_gallery30.jpg

The GMC site wouldn't let me grab the image, but it's not too different from the one posted above.

morkable
04-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah I sure dont like the new chevy,, interior is nice, but,,, man it is ugly. The 06 seats are different than the 07 IMO. I drove an 06, and was expecting those seats, seeing as they look the same,, but they are not. And I think that with 5.9% 4000 grand more in price, I dont think I could burn enough fuel to make that up.. besides, I still have my 03 when I feel the need for a real truck'

Kevin

JyRO
04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Well you start out telling your little brother that your hotwheels car will beat his. And later you grow up and buy a Dodge Cummins. If you forget to grow up, you buy a DMax. If you forget to grow up and smoke a lot of pot and crack along the way, then you buy a 6.0. [tapdshut] I'll withhold my opinion about the 6.4L for now ... but it doesn't look good, unless you have pyromaniac condition. :D

I really don't give a rat's behind which is going to get my groceries to the next traffic light faster. And I don't have the money to waste like Radram appears to have (who I find difficult to read/comprehend too). Nor would I waste my money on liabilities (like vehicles) if I did.

I'm on my 8th year on my 2000 model Cummins Ram. It has only failed 1 time (LP). And that's one time too many. But that's far better than I think I would have faired to buy either of the other 2 offerings at the time.

The point is, 6.7 Liters, 350 h.p. & 650 lb.ft (or whatever the numbers currently are) is PLENTY of power. I honestly believe the Cummins is the most effective / efficient choice if you're going to tow heavy (or relatively heavy).

Besides the fact that Cummins has to be emmissions compliant, I really wish they would spend the time making the Cummins more fuel efficient. I'll be buying me a new truck as soon as my current Cummins wears out, so maybe in 2037. By then I hope they can get 30 mpg.

If I'm going to keep my truck, I'm going to have to quit reading about how nice these 6.7 L & MegaCabs are! :D

- JyRO

03qclb5spd
04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't mind the look of the new GMC HD, but the Chevy is downright hideous with all of the chrome.
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/pic/silverado/2007/photogallery/popup_ext_gallery30.jpg

The GMC site wouldn't let me grab the image, but it's not too different from the one posted above.

Well I have to agree with you on the new Chevy HD. I can't figure out what it really is that just makes me want to vomit at it's sight. It could be the little tiny headlights that look like they are getting sucked off the front end and down the sides of the truck. They look so out of proportion to that gigantic grille, which almost appears larger than the new Ford. At least the Ford's grille and headlights appear to work well together. It also could those ridiculously stupid, horribly ugly GIANT chrome corners on the front bumper. I think it would look tons better with one similar to the GMC's. It also could be that the entire frond end is so big, that the tiny little wheels and tires look like they came off a 1/2 scale truck or something. I just expected better, and it got worse.

Dargo
04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I've been getting the itch to upgrade to a new truck. I think I've been a good boy and kept mine plenty long. The problem is that after the mods with my 5.9 12v, I'm not really impressed with the power of the new ones. :( My dad has been a Chevy fan since birth I think. Also, I can actually get a supplier discount price on a GM product. That being said, I just flat don't care for the Chevy. I'm not impressed with the Dmax nor with the Allison. I'm sort of in the business and I've had it drilled into my head that the Allison transmission is not the same Allison transmission that is in a bus or a large dump truck. The dealers report about the same number of problems as the Ford or Dodge. So, for me, the GM is out.

I really like the Ford interior and ride. However, the 6.0 diesel had one of the shortest runs of any diesel engine in history. Besides the engine problems, my next door neighbor is on his 3rd transmission at only 60k miles. Neither of these facts make me overly comfortable with the new, improved, 6.4 from Ford. I'll still have to drive it and see how much a comprehensive extended warranty would add to the cost. I'm a bit concerned about durability, but darn they are good looking!

With the Dodge, I don't think there is any better diesel engine than the Cummins. My '96 12v is nothing short of amazing. I suppose that's part of my problem. With only 130k on the engine and a rock solid ATS transmission in it, I don't think I can say that I need a new truck by any means. My truck has never even sat outside at night. It's just the thought of having a 11 year old truck that worries me. Statistically it could start having all sorts of things go wrong. Oh yeah, I also just put a brand new set of 6 Goodyears on it too. [redface] Now, having said that, I still have the itch to have a truck that is newer and actually has 4 doors. I have the extended cab, but only 2 doors.

If the new 6.7 Dodge can yank around my 16k trailer stock the way my modified '96 can, I can picture a new truck in my garage. I'm yet to drive the new 6.7, and I don't see how I could test one with a 16k load behind it on the interstate. If my current 5.9 modified Cummins can haul 16k at 75 mph all the way across the state of Pennsylvania, mountains and all, and never lose speed with the cruise set, could I expect the stock 6.7 to do the same thing? I want to go newer with the truck, but not down in power. Also, is the 6.7 a completely new engine that is not tried and true like the 5.9 is? Man, I'd really like to know about the power with a load and how reliable the 6.7 will be before I go drive one. I have a tendency to get a little impulsive with the ole checkbook if I really like something. Anybody pulled a good load for any distance with the 6.7?

duratothemax
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I've had it drilled into my head that the Allison transmission is not the same Allison transmission that is in a bus or a large dump truck.

is it the same trans as a dump truck? no. Is it just another hydramatic with the allison name slapped on it (like I hear SOOO many people say), no, not at all. It is 100% an "allison", take one apart and you will not see "GM" or "hydramatic" anywhere on it/in it. It also is run by the same TCM (computer) that every computer driven allison is run by. It is identical (except has slightly different gear ratios) to the 2000/2200RDS/2400 transmissions. The 2000 series is used in lots of newer medium duty applications, up to 30,000lbs. It is a large transmission, about 350 pounds dry without torque converter (extra 78 pounds) and without fluid (5 gallons).

In stock form, it will handle no more power than a 48re or torqshift. Anyone who says 'oh its an allison, you'll never break that (stock) trans' is FOS. C3 clutchpack slips, then the converter clutch slips, then the trans goes into limp mode.

If the engine power is left stock, they are more or less bulletproof (no, im not counting NSBU failures, the gear selector switch on the side of the trans) and in most cases will outlive the duramax engine. With proper maintinence they will go 500k or more. (I know, heres where I get the "well my mothers uncles mailman had 3 crap out on him in 45k miles!!")

The hard parts are significantly larger than 48re and torqshift; an allison will go MUCH further on stock hard parts than either of those transmissions. I dont know what a 48re will handle befre billet stuff is needed, but there are guys running 700rwhp on stock allison hard parts. The stock dmax internals will probably fail before you break stock allison hard parts.

unfortunatly you cant have it all in any of the big 3 pickup trucks. You guys have your medium duty engine, we have our medium duty trans. Im not sure what Ford guys have.

03qclb5spd
04-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm with you there, I don't think there is a better overall engine than the Cummins, at least for a Diesel and towing. I make the same point everyone else does, look at what's in the big rigs. They're all Inlines, right? If a V configurated engine was better or ideal then that's what you'd see.
If I were you, I would stick with your 12v for at least another 6-12 months. There are still a relatively low number of 6.7's out there but by the time a year passes they'll be all over the place as well as much more feedback from owners about how they have performed individually. I myself would love a bombed 12v! As for the 6.7, my friend who works at Cummins said he believes it's a bored and stroked 5.9 block. I think there are several carry over parts but there is also quite a bit new. That's what I have read - I may be incorrect!

That Ford you mentioned with the 3 trannys, that a 7.3 or 6.0? I could see a 4r100 but a torqshift replaced 3 times by 60k seems kind of rare. That's a stout trans.

03qclb5spd
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Im not sure what Ford guys have.

Flame throwers. [duhhh]

morkable
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm with you there, I don't think there is a better overall engine than the Cummins, at least for a Diesel and towing. I make the same point everyone else does, look at what's in the big rigs. They're all Inlines, right? If a V configurated engine was better or ideal then that's what you'd see.
If I were you, I would stick with your 12v for at least another 6-12 months. There are still a relatively low number of 6.7's out there but by the time a year passes they'll be all over the place as well as much more feedback from owners about how they have performed individually. I myself would love a bombed 12v! As for the 6.7, my friend who works at Cummins said he believes it's a bored and stroked 5.9 block. I think there are several carry over parts but there is also quite a bit new. That's what I have read - I may be incorrect!

That Ford you mentioned with the 3 trannys, that a 7.3 or 6.0? I could see a 4r100 but a torqshift replaced 3 times by 60k seems kind of rare. That's a stout trans.

The 4r100 is not really any more stout than the 48re. I know of lots of issues with that tranny. But properly maintained and properly used (read, not over powered) It will last a long time. As will the 48re. But I think that the new 68rfe has addressed alot of these issues, and I think that it is going to be a good rival for the allison transmission.

Kevin

Dargo
04-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Flame throwers. [duhhh]

You do know that there are several companies who sell aftermarket flame throwers for hot rods, don't you? Maybe it's just an added feature that looks cool. [tapdshut]

BTW, my dad worked for Cummins Diesel (large trucks) for many years when I was a child. I grew up with it pounded in my head that there is no "z" in diesel. Now I hear manufacturers pronounce it with a "z" sound. What's up with how "diesel" is pronounced?

eb290
04-05-2007, 08:02 AM
. Anybody pulled a good load for any distance with the 6.7?

I don't know if your are talking about a Cab and Chassis model or a pickup, different transmission and different power ratings on the engine, but I have a 07 cab and chassis with now almost 33,000 miles on it and all I do is tow. I don't believe it will tow as well as yours will because with your mods you have a lot more power. It will tow as much and more than your were talking about with no problems, I'm not going to say it won't lose any speed in the mountains because it will, but as far as towing a load, it will do it. You might be better off waiting until they come out with some aftermarket stuff to get the power up if that's what is important to you, but it will pull anything you want to hook it up to.

03qclb5spd
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
The 4r100 is not really any more stout than the 48re. I know of lots of issues with that tranny. But properly maintained and properly used (read, not over powered) It will last a long time. As will the 48re. But I think that the new 68rfe has addressed alot of these issues, and I think that it is going to be a good rival for the allison transmission.

Kevin
Well that's why I said I could see higher failures in a 4r100 before I could see them in a torqshift.
You do know that there are several companies who sell aftermarket flame throwers for hot rods, don't you? Maybe it's just an added feature that looks cool. [tapdshut]

BTW, my dad worked for Cummins Diesel (large trucks) for many years when I was a child. I grew up with it pounded in my head that there is no "z" in diesel. Now I hear manufacturers pronounce it with a "z" sound. What's up with how "diesel" is pronounced?

Yes, I know on the flame throwing hot rods. Just don't think the EPA will enjoy seeing factory flame throwing dual tailpipes. EPA's own fault anyway for forcing the new emissions IMO.

Also I know what you mean on the z for diesel. I specifically remember that DaimlerChrysler dude Dr Z saying some jeep had the "worlds cleanest dieZel" in a commercial.....

RadRam
04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Sorry about the bizare posts - cant read them myself now [duhhh]
All I was trying to say about my 08 6.4 L F350 - was I must be lucky because mine runs real strong and improving every day - fuel milage - not improving. If only I could do away with the DPF system.

Im still buying a 3500 4x4 megacab on monday with the 6.7 L. - I hope it runs as strong as my Ford - Ill let ya know & I will be honest.

morkable
04-06-2007, 04:54 PM
03,, sorry I missread what you were saying,, lol,, yeah the torqueflight is supposed to be a bunch better,, not as good as the allison, but a good tranny.

Kevin

03qclb5spd
04-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Im still buying a 3500 4x4 megacab on monday with the 6.7 L. - I hope it runs as strong as my Ford - Ill let ya know & I will be honest.
That's all that we can ask for!
03,, sorry I missread what you were saying,, lol,, yeah the torqueflight is supposed to be a bunch better,, not as good as the allison, but a good tranny.

Kevin

That's cool I misread all the time!
Actually the Torqshifts in Fords are Allison designed and built by Ford, or designed and built by Allison...I can't remember which one it is. GM just has the rights to the name. Also I have found the Torqshift to be the better of the two by a small margin, based on information i've gathered from aftermarket and shop owners.

bigsnakebud
04-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Dargo
I will be pulling 13+k through PA on my way to Maryland in July and expect the 6.7 nad 68rfe to outpull my hopped 5.9. As everyone knows there is not substitute for cubic inches except cubic money. The big reason I traded is this truck has 4 new injectors and a new lp so that is 5 walks in the park.
Fred

duratothemax
04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Actually the Torqshifts in Fords are Allison designed and built by Ford, or designed and built by Alliso.

HAHAHAHA now THIS one I gotta hear more about!!! [laugh]

bigsnakebud
04-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Was going to add that to last post and got interrupted. So now DORF owns Cummins AND Allison:o I must have taken a long winters nap and ole Bill bought everything up[dummy] .
Fred

zxa
04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
common guys.......i have seen the new gm/chevy however the gm look way better than the chevy!! but one thing for sure...this new chevy like the pics above is not that bad at all!! i would take this one way before a ford!!:cool:

Tate
04-10-2007, 01:21 AM

Ask a german how to pronounce it. Seeing as Rudolph Diesel was from Germany. Only time I've ever heard diesel pronounced with an S in it was when I was watching Trucks.

pegg31
06-04-2007, 01:04 AM
must have been icy then cause ive sucked up 2 6.cants and 1 6.still cants

pegg31
06-04-2007, 01:07 AM

Kevin

oh and a duramax by a truck lenght and still pulling we both had trailers mine had a 18 foot with 3 quads my buddies had a 20 foot with one quad sucked him up to

:cool: whos next......

hoot
06-04-2007, 06:38 AM
yes it was designed by isuzu, and no, despite what everyone thinks, the aluminum heads are not a problem. :rolleyes:

I would be willing to bet if you saw the data that the Dmax spits head gaskets a lot more than most are willing to admit. I lost one. I know others that have. No it's not a sure thing like injectors going on the Dmax but I think it's pretty well known among the service people that the Dmax is more likely to blow a head gasket than the Cummins.

HEY what happened at the Nationals in Indy? Dmax stole the stock class but after that Cummins ruled. No Fords.

03qclb5spd
06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
HEY what happened at the Nationals in Indy? Dmax stole the stock class but after that Cummins ruled. No Fords.

I guess Cummins owners decided not to waste their time with the "weak" little stock class [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Oh, BW....did anyone see the STUPID looking stacks that came outside of the bed on that srw 6.0? I saw that thing last year at Scheid's and thought he would be smart enough to take the idiotic things off after everyone in the stands was laughing at him.

duratothemax
06-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I would be willing to bet if you saw the data that the Dmax spits head gaskets a lot more than most are willing to admit. I lost one. I know others that have. No it's not a sure thing like injectors going on the Dmax but I think it's pretty well known among the service people that the Dmax is more likely to blow a head gasket than the Cummins.

BS hoot. Its easier to keep a head gaset on 4 cylinders than it is on a long 6 cylinder. You can run more boost on a dmax than a CTD without studs. Ive seen plenty of CTD guys admit it. Ask Got Juice. Im talking boost alone, not drugs. I see "studs and o-rings" in many aftermarket turbo'd CTD's signiture. Want to talk bottom end? The CTD is significantly stronger...Ill admit that any day of the week. You cant admit anything good about any other brand. YOU had an early 2001 truck, you added too much propane and you lost. Ive been running 45+ psi for 60k miles with not one problem. And my trans is running all stock hard parts...not many 47/48re's do. But oh yeah, I forgot the allison is a POS too. I never lose any coolant, except when I hit a deer and broke the radiator. Could have been worse tho, at least a tree didnt fall on it. [coffee]

ben

hoot
06-05-2007, 04:53 AM
ben,

I don't argue with the facts on the high hp end but I will guarantee you the GM service teams see a higher rate of stock headgasket replacement than the Cummins dealerships do.

My 48RE is stock with 52,000 TST miles on her... holding up just fine.

I can't admit anything good about any other brand? I'm not that bad. I just see the Duramax thing as an alternative that didn't quite turn out to be what I wanted. I know when it's time to jump ship and that was three years ago [guitar]

So what happened to the rise and take over by the mighty Duramax? After this year (INDY) I think a lot of people are re-thinking this whole thing.

Where's hdmike? My buddy?

duratothemax
06-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Hoot 99.8% of people dont just suddenly change brand preference like that. Almost everyone seems to have ONE brand preference sort of hard wired into them. Whether they know it or not...they will never be truely happy unless they are driving that one brand. Say a guy really likes dodge trucks, thats his gut preference....but for whatever reason he sees some little gizmo on a ford and makes a split second impulse decision and buys a ford. Then 30 seconds after he buys the ford he realizes "wait....darn.....I probably shouldnt have done this because Ill never truely be happy with it". BUT he grumbles and sticks with the Ford because he has no legit excuse to go through all the trouble and $ to turn right around and sell it....so he waits and prays for something to happen with the truck that would give him a perfect excuse to dump it and buy what he REALLY wanted all along, a dodge.

People who say "Ive always had dodges...but I thought Id give the new ford a try" are FOS IMO. They are never going to be truely happy with that ford. I know no matter what happends I will always own a GM. Im not afraid to admit it. So say for example my truck loses a head gasket tomorrow and I get all steamed up and in that day or so that im REALLY mad and hate my truck I go buy a Ford.....I would go crazy after my anger towards that head gasket issue wore off.

Whether you will admit it or not, you've probably always been a dodge guy. But then for whatever reason you bought a duramax and then next week thought "arghh...I kinda sorta wanted a dodge underneath it all but oh well Ill keep this one and learn to love it". Then the head gasket blew (yes!!! something went wrong, strike one, if only one more thing would happen I would have an excuse to dump this and get a dodge...). THEN the tree fell on it. (jackpot!!! g'bye dmax, finally)

Thats just my oppinion how your situation worked.

JyRO
06-05-2007, 07:49 AM
duratothemax - I think you're right about being hard wired. I'm a chevy truck nut. Love'em. Wouldn't want any other truck.

But I sure am glad I bought by Dodge Cummins back in '99. Brand loyaty is a ignorant thing to hold on to. Sure am glad I let it go, or I would have bought a 6.5L turd.

- JyRO

hoot
06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Oh yea I've gone through the brand lover days. NO MORE. It's plain stupid. You could never had called me for wanting or even owning a Dodge truck... ever. But GM convinced me otherwise. I used to be a Ford FREAK years ago.

I was Ford for like 10 years.... then turned GM... now I own a Dodge and my wife drives a GM. We love both vehicles.

Really.... any more I stay open minded.

I disagree with the 99.8% being hard wired. I just don't think it's quite that high. I often find people who either shop price, are clueless about brand differences or buy for features.... regardless of brand.

JyRO
06-05-2007, 09:22 AM
I buy what I think is cute. :D

duratothemax
06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Hoot remember when you thought the 6.5 was really sweet and pulled better than any powerstroke? [coffee]

No offence intended, just giving ya a hard time :)

ben

soulezoo
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I bought the Dodge on price alone. Wanted a GMC but they wanted too much money, I didn't like the little tires and low squat. The Dodge sacrifices in the interior build but makes up for it with by far the best engine. Won't buy a Ferd based on too many negative experiences in the past, although I love their new interiors. I am glad I bought the Dodge and will buy another... Cummins that is... I do wish they would make a better interior.

Spooler
06-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I am a Nissan man myself. SO, who cares. I have a Dodge/Cummins truck. I love staight 6 engines. I still have a 1975 Datsun 280z. I have had everything but a 240z and the new 350z and most of them with turbo's including the 1975 280z. Maintenance is always cheaper on an I-6. Always has, always will be. If Nissan came out with a 3500 DRW truck I would look at it hard for a couple of years before I considered buying. I do enjoy the Cummins engine.

As far as which truck will last the longest? It depends on the person. Some people can tear up anything and some people take extremely good care of there vehicles. Dosen't matter if it is a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Dodge, etc. Would I buy a Ford, No. Would I buy a Chevy, No, had a gasser and I was not impressed and worked on them and was still not impressed. I want torque and none of the V-8's have what an I-6 does down low where you need it. I have exploded many a manual tranny in my I-6 turbo. I had to upgrade to a tranny equal to the torque I was putting down. Just My opinion.

Black04Ram
06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I see absolutely no point in brand loyalty... Drive what you want to drive and have fun with it..[coffee]

wreedCTD
06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
i like honda

engi041
06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I just traded an 05 d-max in on the 6.7, and will not own another duramax. I love the new 6.7 and have no complaints with it.

Hdmax
06-06-2007, 08:48 PM
We know you lost one Michael, but the propain (Propane!) had nothing at all to do with the failure either did it?

By the way my Duramax in almost 6 years old, and 143,000 miles with no injector issues at all. I've run this truck at or above 400 rwhp from the time it had about 1600 miles on it. I have limped the tranny countless times. Entered it in 17 truck pulls, I've run more then 100 4x4 boosted launches through the 1/4 mile, and have towed 10,000# more then 35,000 miles. (All on a stock tranny.) I think it has held up pretty good so far.
(Yes, I did blow the original turbo, but I don't blame anyone but myself. I was the one running the gears too 4,000+ rpms, and ran 43.7# of boost. Not you, and not GM!)
Add 200-300 rear wheel horsepower to both the 5.9L, and the 6.6L and see which one needs a head gasket first. Chances are very, very good that it won't be the Duramax.
When you owned the Duramax it was the best, now the Cummins is the best. What next? You going to try and say the Powerstoke is the best?[dummy] [laugh] [laugh]

I am not brand loyal, but would be hard pressed to buy a Powerstroke, or new tundra. (If they come out with a 2500HD type with a diesel.) I don't like my chances with the new 6.4L, and I just plain don't like toyota........ I could see myself buying a new Megacab if Dodge offers a real bed on the truck.....

hoot
06-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Well Mike it looks like I was dead wrong on the Dmax way back when. Guess I got caught up in the excitement thinking that Isuzu was so good at building reliable diesels that they had to keep their reputation up there so I assumed it was safe to call the Dmax the winner even before it left the starting line. That was stupid on my part.

It wasn't the headgasket that convinced me to unload my Dmax. It was the overall experience. Too many glitches in the running of it that I did not like. Also the chances of injector failure is so high on those model years I didn't want to bother going through the BS of getting it fixed maybe even more than once. I was concerned about cost of ownership after 100,000 miles and I wanted a real 4x4. After three years I gave it a good chance. It served me well. I was ready for a change. I am already past the three year mark on this Dodge and I can tell you this I have a totally different feeling about it than I did with the GMC. This one is a keeper.

It does look like GM trucks and the Dmax cannot compete in the heavily modified pulling classes. There is no comparison when you see the big Dodges pulling and than you see a GM. The motors just blow up when they try compete in the big pulls.

Ben I really did like the 6.5 for what it was. It ran really nice on the highway. Pretty zippy for a diesel of it's time and was reliable.

JyRO
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
...When you owned the Duramax it was the best, now the Cummins is the best. What next? You going to try and say the Powerstoke is the best?[dummy] [laugh] [laugh]...

I'ved owned my ETC 24V since 1999. From that time until now I wasn't aware that the Duramin was ever better than even my old Cummins. Hmmmm. I guess it depends on what you wanna say it was the best at. Best at losing injectors ... best at overheating ... best at consuming fuel. Not sure. I bet it's better at some things ... like that. ;)

duratothemax
06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Ben I really did like the 6.5 for what it was. It ran really nice on the highway. Pretty zippy for a diesel of it's time and was reliable.

:rolleyes:

good thing you've got a strong 48re to hold that TST box...I know it would have trashed my junk allison thousands of miles ago. :)

ben

hoot
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
:rolleyes:

good thing you've got a strong 48re to hold that TST box...I know it would have trashed my junk allison thousands of miles ago. :)

ben

Well lets put it this way. I know for a fact 90-100 hp over stock through the Allison can limp it. After enough limps the your Ally gets tired. I'm dynoing 160 hp (423RWHP) at the rear wheels over stock. I forgot what a limp is.

duratothemax
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
and if your 48re ever dies I suppose we'll never hear about it, lest you look silly :D

Id rather have a trans that limps at 120hp over stock than a trans that lets you run 160hp over stock and all is fine and dandy and BOOM. You're dead on the road. An allison will 'always' get you home. I know of trans's that have been limped nearly 30 times. So say you are keeping a truck stock, which trans do YOU think will last longer hoot?

have you ever run it at the track hoot? Dynoing 423hp and running 423hp **lls to the wall on the street and at the track are completely different.. dyno's hardly tell anything and are good for a buncha numbers and thats about it.

first you dump on the dmax, now you cant even give the allison credit. Its an amazing fact that people even buy GM trucks. Beats the he** out of me.

JMO

hoot
06-07-2007, 09:46 PM
and if your 48re ever dies I suppose we'll never hear about it, lest you look silly :D

Id rather have a trans that limps at 120hp over stock than a trans that lets you run 160hp over stock and all is fine and dandy and BOOM. You're dead on the road. An allison will 'always' get you home. I know of trans's that have been limped nearly 30 times. So say you are keeping a truck stock, which trans do YOU think will last longer hoot?

have you ever run it at the track hoot? Dynoing 423hp and running 423hp **lls to the wall on the street and at the track are completely different.. dyno's hardly tell anything and are good for a buncha numbers and thats about it.

first you dump on the dmax, now you cant even give the allison credit. Its an amazing fact that people even buy GM trucks. Beats the he** out of me.

JMO

I here you with the getting home thing but the limping is a pain. So far at my power levels and my careful foot, I think I will do well with this truck. I am one to not thrash the heck out of my drivetrain. I was pretty decent with my Dmax. That's why I was surprised I lost a headgasket.

I NEVER hide issues with my trucks.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I don't buy trucks based on feelings anymore.

What's the dif between a dyno and the 1/4 mile???? 1/4 mile? [laugh]

I remember a time when the diesel place people... you included, harassed me for being a Dodge boy on a GM site. What gives? Thinking about a real truck [laugh]

StrokeThisCTD
06-08-2007, 01:36 AM
I was at a Dealer today with all the big 3 there. in the showroom was a recently sold White GMC Sierra Crew Cab Short bed 2500 with the Duramax/auto. It had the Z71 package on it and every other option available. GPS, leather, everything. The chevys are not appealing to me but the GMC's are and that was a nice truck. Too bad there was a Silver Mega Cab 6.7L there that i wanted just as much. May have to start working some numbers

morkable
06-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Just an update on my new truck. I am running the edge evolotion (100 hp) on the LBZ engine which I believe is running arounsd 300 RWHP. I know that my 03 tore up the tranny @ 348 HP (bully dog Powerpup) I have raced the duramax (ran a 14.6 1/4 with my superglide hitch, my 200# kid, and my tool box full of crap) The truck is otherwise completely stock. It would take nothing to get this truck into the 13's, probably by taking the extra weight out of it would put me down around a 14.3 ish. My dodge when it was stock with a programmer on it, ran high 15's.

My fuel mileage has gone up to around 20 on the chevy now,, still not as good as the dodge, but liveable.

This is a very nice truck. I still love my dodge, and still drive my dodge, but to be honest, the chevy is a better all around truck. My Dodge is just plain ol fast now.

Kevin

hoot
06-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Early 03 Dodges came with the 47RE auto. Which did you have?

As for all around truck yes the GMs are very nice. Easy to get in and out of and easier to load with the IFS. They are more of a street truck or as they say "grocery getters"

Fast is nice. My truck is fast. Do I need or want the problems associated with making it a 13 second or faster truck? Nope.

What I do need is piece of mind.

duratothemax
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Just an update on my new truck. I am running the edge evolotion (100 hp) on the LBZ engine which I believe is running arounsd 300 RWHP. I know that my 03 tore up the tranny @ 348 HP (bully dog Powerpup) I have raced the duramax (ran a 14.6 1/4 with my superglide hitch, my 200# kid, and my tool box full of crap) The truck is otherwise completely stock. It would take nothing to get this truck into the 13's, probably by taking the extra weight out of it would put me down around a 14.3 ish. My dodge when it was stock with a programmer on it, ran high 15's.

My fuel mileage has gone up to around 20 on the chevy now,, still not as good as the dodge, but liveable.

This is a very nice truck. I still love my dodge, and still drive my dodge, but to be honest, the chevy is a better all around truck. My Dodge is just plain ol fast now.

Kevin

LBZ's dyno around 310hp bone stock...as far as how much extra the trans will take, its hard to say...they are all different.

ben

hoot
06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
With the TST on my stock truck I have run two different individuals on the street and either was able to pull away or at least hang with them. Both of them told me they were driving 14 sec vehicles. I figure I'm in the high 14's.

Hdmax
06-09-2007, 01:29 PM
With the TST on my stock truck I have run two different individuals on the street and either was able to pull away or at least hang with them. Both of them told me they were driving 14 sec vehicles. I figure I'm in the high 14's.
With 423 rwhp, you should be in the low to mid 14's.
I ran 14.3's at 403 rwhp, and 7,160#, and with somewhere near 500 rwhp, I ran 13.69 @ 98.3 mph at 6,980#
Does the tranny really make that much difference? I would guess our trucks weigh pretty close the same. Mike, are you running the hummers, and 35's? I know you were a couple years ago, but didn't know if you switched them.........

I have limped my tranny maybe 8 times, and zinged it 50+ times. (A zing is when you let off the throttle quick enough, throw it in neutral for a few seconds, back in drive, and you on your way, and you don't need a computer reset.) A limp, you need to shut it down and reset the computer.
The last time I limped it, I thought it was done. It took maybe 10 resets over 3 days before it came out of limp mode. That was at the track when I ran the 13.69. She limped right near the end of the 1/4 mile, and would only go in 2nd or 3 gear.

hoot
06-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm running Toyo 35" tires on the Hummer wheels.

firstdieselram7
06-10-2007, 12:23 PM
i also test drove the 68rfe/6/7 combo and it is astonishing
u are right on it being qiuet i couldnt even hear the turbo!
but with the windows open driven slow in hot weather with that radiator fan on sounds like a bus
and these things sit so high! i could bearly get in it! but overall a awsome machine
the one we drove was list 46.5k slt trim cloth but it was pretty nice
i wouldve wanted the wood grain interior on it though
also it was a 2500 qc it had plenty a room for me in the back
have u seen how big the exhuast tip is? like 5 inch!

ib516
06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Canada switched over production to ULSD nationwide in June 2006.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYH/is_16_6/ai_90331873