PDA

View Full Version : Incompetent DC Mechanics!!!

Johnny RAM
11-30-2002, 09:07 AM
&gt;:( Changed oil on truck first time since having a local Chrysler dealer do it for 'free' with a door prize cuppon I had recieved last summer. First sign of trouble was having to get the 2' proto breaker bar out to get the oil drain plug open!!!<br>Then off to the filter and you guessed it, it was like it was 'WELDED' &gt;:( on! Incompetent technician had to have put it on with a dry seal and a wrench. broke my Dad's 40 year old oil filter wrench, then had to resort to the 18&quot; channel lock pliers to work on it. An hour later after removing the battery and air cleaner box to have some room to muscle the channel locks I finally got it off!!! I am going to write a letter to the service manger who gave me the cuppons, DC and my auto club with a digital picture of the mangled filter and broken oil filter wrench and try to get one of the 5 stars shot down!!!!<br>Oh by the way I have another cuppon if you want to tey your luck with this service department!!! [yuk]

chuck3
11-30-2002, 09:51 AM
No thanks, do my own oil and filter changes allways have and will till I no longer can, never trusted too many people working on my rigs. ;)

scottrod
11-30-2002, 10:19 AM
My dad used to go to Wally Mart for oil changes. Once he was driving home and thought his turbo was louder. He checked it at home and found that they didnt hook to air tube back on the turbo [eyecrazy]. The LAST time he went, he noticed that it was dripping oil everywhere when he got in his garage. He pulled the drain plug out and they didn't put the sealing washer back on [undecided].<br>So, I don't let anyone else work on mine either.

NWDave
11-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Bought me one of those fancy finger touch engine oil drain valves from Geno's. Has a nipple on it so you can slip a 5/8 hose over it to drain oil into a pan. Had to brag about that, don't cha know? There's too many things that you can do yourself or with a little help. Just the routine maintenance will save you big bucks for BOMBING. ;D ;D<br><br>~Dave

TX Ram
11-30-2002, 09:29 PM
I've never had a problem with the filter but every single time i remove the drain plug i have to use a breaker bar; I've always done mine myself and somehow the drain plug tightens itself up ???

dodgeram
11-30-2002, 09:45 PM
I have to second that one, I think somebody sneaks uner my truck and tightens the drain plug on me, cause it's a real pain to get off next time :)

PistolWhipt
12-01-2002, 05:55 AM
Better that they tighten on their own than loosen !!! [undecided]<br><br>NWDAVE,<br> That drain valve sounds convenient ... got any pictures that you can post ?<br><br>PISTOL

NWDave
12-01-2002, 07:05 AM
I got mine at Geno's. Here's the url for the drain page:<br><br>http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/showprod.cfm?&amp;DID=30&amp;CATID=1&amp;ObjectGroup_ID=46<br><br>I chose the one with the nipple so that I could slip a hose over it and let it drain into the pan. What a concept, no more wind blown oil all over the place. They used to have one with a quick disconnect to the valve that had a hose already made up. Apparently it's no longer available. The hose interior diameter is 5/8. Just make sure you get a hose rated for fuels/oils so you can pay more money for it. [laugh]<br>You have to be very careful choosing the year because there are differences - go figure. This valve I chose is a nice heavy brass item. The finger touch part is really two fingers to activate or my touch is weaker than it use to be. I remember reading on this site somewhere that some of these plugs when properly seated extend too far into the pan and will leave some residue oil (i.e. not drain all the old oil out) so I'll have to check into that part. <br><br>For more information, go to site search and type in oil drain plug. You should find out alot more information on this subject. <br><br>Several other members here have this neat little critter. I've heard nothing but rave reviews. Works for me. <br><br>By the way guys, did you know that the oil drain plug apparently is softer than most and is prone to rounding the shoulders and consequently increasing your wrath towards this item? Probably one of the reasons Geno's offers so many different types of oil drain replacements.

patriot pearl blue
12-01-2002, 11:15 AM
i would write a letter and photocopy it- i would send one copy to the dealership and the other to their corporate office explaining your situation-<br><br> if you dont get a response, then take further action-<br><br>ps- when i recieved my truck brand new, i drove 300 miles in just a few short hours, took the truck home and changed the oil the very next morning-<br> my oil pan bolt was FINGER TIGHT and i was able to take it off with a 1/2 inch ratchet with one hand!!!!<br><br> also, i had to use a strap wrench to get the dag gummed oil filter off!!! with a few extensions, and a breaker bar, i was able to break it free from underneath the truck-<br><br> if i didnt have that snap on strap wrench, im sure i would have been in the same situation you were in-

RATTLINRAM
12-01-2002, 12:07 PM
I know the feeling too guys,,, I bought my truck with a little over 2000 miles on it,,, it had never been titled,,, some DC diesel Rep had it for a while. Anyway,, the dealer changed the oil before I picked it up and when I got home, I could smell hot oil. I figured they must have spilled some, but after taking a look,, I was wrong. The oil filter was loose and leaking like a siv, so I tightened it up by hand and no more leak. Then when it was time for me to change the oil,, the filter was no problem, but I thought I would never get the drain plug loose! :o<br> I've never had to use a wrench on the filter, I always get it off by hand, however,,,, like you guys,,,,, I still can't figure out who is tightening up that drain plug between oil changes. [laugh] I just changed mine yesterday and it wasn't too bad. Nowhere near like it was the first time. ;D I may look into one of those EZ-drain doo-hicky things too! ;D

Dieseldude4x4
12-01-2002, 08:42 PM
I ordered one of those drain doo-hicky things for a friend of mine that changes oil every 3000 miles and he loves it. Now why didn't I order two? What a knot head.......

Turbobob
12-13-2002, 02:26 PM
I also had a freebie oil change done @ the dealer. When I got it home, oil was dripping on the garage floor. Everything appeared to be tight. It seems that when they pulled the filter, they just allowed oil to spew everywhere &amp; didn't bother to clean it up. I am very anal when it comes to cleanliness of my vehicles! I purchased the oil change widget valve &amp; it makes changes a breeze! Another note, another oil leak sprung up the following weak from a loosening oil filter. Bastards!

dodgeman01
12-13-2002, 03:30 PM
I change my oil every 3000 and I have never had a problem with my drain plug geting tighter. but on both of my trucks I have had problems with the filter getting loose. I don't want to brag but I'm stronger than I look and have played football for many many years. I was d line and center for the O line<br>I can put a hurten on the filter and it will still come loose. Only every once and a while will it do it but it still is a pain.<br>Aaron

DuaneWKKC
12-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Jsut this week had dealer replace air pump assembly 'cause of an occasional drip ( actually just one ). Also agreed to pay them 35$ to enable the cold weather idle option in the ecm. What i got informed of instead was the my truck had the latest revision of softaware and that it was already installed [eyecrazy], I said yea, thats why I did'nt ask you to install it, just enable it. Got the stupid look back. Wish these dealers knew just half as much as they think they do. Oh, by the way, when they changed the airpump they drained powersteering fluid all over the underside of my truck. They will get ripped for that more than anything else on the survey form. My new Dodge now has more oil under it than my '93 chevy [undecided].<br><br>Duane

Duelin
12-13-2002, 10:30 PM
Yup -- to get my oil filter off I had to resort to a blunt chisel and hammer, to get it to turn off. I used to just stick a big ole screwdriver thru filters to remove em, but that was not on my garage floor. ( On the track, and usually like maybe 15 or so engines to do after the gangs went home and my day continued, till everything was ready for another day.)<br>I got a fram filter wrench the other day, that I can get on it. The strap wrenches are too much of a problem to get on the filter given the space you have to work with. <br><br>I've changed oil on thousands of diesels, and will say the drain plug on the Dodge is ? (unreal !! ) <br>My drain plug is like others, really tight --maybe a coat of grease on the washer surfaces would help ? <br>I've noticed that Fram, sells quick drain plugs ---think D5 is the number for our Dodges, but every time I find them displayed, the ones for the Dodge are not in stock. something like $14 I think. <br>Normally the lube and oil change position at the stealers is reserved for those who are moving up from mops and brooms, Usually not the sharpest knives in the drawer!

pappyman
12-14-2002, 07:09 AM
Ive been a diesel mechanic for many years and I am still wondering why these truck builders always make it so D#@n hard to get at the filters...common sence would say that maintance items should be accessible and ez to do &gt;:( that said I would rather deal with a drain plug thats too tight then a loose one that could come out and dump all the oil on some highway :(

JFellman
12-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Pappyman, the explanation I have heard is that the Cummins really isn't designed from the get go to go in the Dodge Ram...still peeves me though that things that require regular maintenance are so hard to work on :'(

NWDave
12-14-2002, 11:36 AM
<br>Pappyman, the explanation I have heard is that the Cummins really isn't designed from the get go to go in the Dodge Ram...still peeves me though that things that require regular maintenance are so hard to work on :'(<br><br><br>You don't suppose it might be that if it's more difficult for you, you might just say, let them do it. They get your money and you get their sloppy results. It's a conspiracy to separate you from your money. You think this truck is tough, try some of the foreign models. My mother had a late model Nissan Sentra that I volunteered to change the oil out on ONCE. That filter was buried back behind some stuff. You could just get a hand on it. The next time, I took it over to Quickie Lube and paid them to do it. It was worth 25 bucks for them to do it. Oh, yes, I did watch them do it right too. <br><br>~Dave

TGCTD
12-22-2002, 09:35 PM
:-[Sorry to hear about you're oil filter problems.it's always embarrassing to hear of peoples displeasures with their mechanics. Don't let one rotten apple spoil the bunch as they say. If you think they are hard to get off when you had it,you should try to get off the first one,that comes from cummins.Instead of using a strap wrench from the side of the eng., purchase a 3 finger wrench that adjusts from the smallest of filters to the largest. one you can use a ratchet and extension with. Then from underneath the truck you can loosen it easier,then remove it the rest of the way from the side. I use a plastic bag,slipped over the end of the filter as not to let oil run all over,and then hand tighten filter. Even hand tighting,it seems &quot;wrenched&quot; on the next time, i go to remove it. Ps don't forget to drain the blowby bottle at oil change time. TGCTD

hothead
01-05-2003, 12:39 PM
:'(<br><br>you guys are a bunch of whinners. i work at a DC dealership. i won't speak for all of us becasue i know there is a lot of dirty crappy techs out there. I do how to tighten a filter and plug prioperly everytime. you have three types of morrons<br><br>1:the one who dosen't know his left foot from a spare tire and puts both on hand tight. of course they come back leeaking causing #2<br><br>2:this is the one who has had there butt cut and tightens the **** thing with a hot wrench.<br><br>3: the slim few have a good head on there sholders and get a tons of bull from all who have had a bad exp. once or twice.

Shovelhead
01-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Hothead....Welcome....we know there are good and bad mechanics just like there are good and bad in every profession.<br>But the more we learn in forums such as this, the less likely we are to have to put up with incompetence/lack of knowledge/training when we need to take our trucks to the dealer.. ;)

TGCTD
01-05-2003, 01:28 PM
I agree with Shovelhead,their is good and bad in any profession.Since this site is predominintly Dodge Ram,no one is going to complain about service at their grocery store. I too am a DC tech and have seen my share of incompetent techs,dealership personnel,either out of lack of experience,ignorance,or just plain apathy.I for one value an educated consumer because they are easier to deal with,and feel that if their service sucks should have some time of explanation to this effect. Since i sit on the other side of the fence as a service provider and not a consumer we don't see what their experiences are with us. I for one have a hard time trusting other mechanics to perform any operation on my vehicles,and can understand why others in this forum can't either. TGCTD :-[ &gt;:(

AlpineRAM
01-05-2003, 01:57 PM
I have been a car mechanic for some time. I do think that I was a good mechanic, because I got my salary increased twice a year. <br>The major PIA in my opinion is if you have to work after an idiot.<br>Yesterday a Volkswagen literally skidded to a halt in front of my apartement. Some ( I won't challenge the censoring software here) had changed the rear wheel bearings. And had tighened the adjustment nut. First with an impact wrench and then with a T with an extension bar. <br>The repair manual says &quot; finger tighten till no more play plus 1/8 turn bearing preload&quot; <br>Well the bearing races were cold welded to the axle stub and the bearing innards looked like coarse ground coffee. <br>It was a really sorry experience to tell that young woman that the car needed a new rear axle..and that she'd been very lucky that the bearing didn't seize up at highway speed. <br>I was really p**** about the ways of some incompetent mechanics. <br><br>AlpineRAM

99 guy
01-05-2003, 05:40 PM
:o I think you high-quality techs, and I know your out there, otta get together and open your own DC truck dealserhip. With real concern for doing things right you'd have more business than you could handle ;)

TGCTD
01-05-2003, 08:20 PM
99guy, Been there! Sold a business after 14 years of service.Customer service was not the problem. Trying to keep up with the never ending increases in equipment purchases,tax increases,dealer leases,warranties all combined to the point of not being able to compete. That coupled with just getting married,child on the way just made it plain necessary to sell and go to work for a dealer. TGCTD :(

TGCTD
01-05-2003, 08:21 PM
99guy, Been there! Sold a business after 14 years of service.Customer service was not the problem. Trying to keep up with the never ending increases in equipment purchases,tax increases,dealer leases,warranties all combined to the point of not being able to compete. That coupled with just getting married,child on the way just made it plain necessary to sell and go to work for a dealer. TGCTD :(

Pit Bull
01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Trucks got a 5 year 100K mile warranty on the engine through the Dodge dealership. They can change the oil and filter for the next 5 years and or 100K miles and if they screw it up they can fix it. That's what a warranty is for and if they do the work it is hard for them to claim it is not there problem. If you do it or someone else then you may have a fight on your hands. The cost difference is not that big of a deal. JMHO