3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins is the only engine without major problems...

Old 10-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins is the only engine without major problems...

I find it funny that the Dodge trucks are 3rd in sales volume when they have the only diesel engine that doesn't have a major problem.

Duramaxes have an overheating problem (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38208) and if you read the user posts on fuel economy, it is nothing to write home about either. I find it especially interesting that the 6 speed Allison doesn't seem to increasing their economy either.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40115

The 6L Fords have the coolant overflow (puking) problem, which seems to be related to the head gaskets and head bolts. Aside from that problem, they are continuously having problems with EGR stuff, wiring harnesses and miscellaneous little things like losing oil pressure to the injectors. How can anyone buy a truck with these known problems ?

Now people will argue that not all trucks have these problems and that some "must have been built on a Monday". I don't buy that when I'm looking to buy a truck. How can you spend $40K and be uncertain as to exactly what you are going to get ? I don't get it. I think people are really going to figure this out when these trucks get a little older and they cost big $$$$ to keep them running.

I'm also sure that some of you will say that Dodges aren't trouble free either. And you'd have a point, except at least they don't have major driveline issues, save the automatics failing, but ALL automatics fail behind diesels.

Sure, Dodge/Cummins might have killer dowel pins and lift pump problems, but people can fix those problems inexpensively and easily. They don't have to write a 154 page documentary on all the work they've done to try to fix the problem.

Another interesting thing is that the new 360HP Duramax isn't going to be offered with the 6 speed manual. I'm thinking that GM isn't going to offer sticks anymore in the near future. While I am sure the Allison is a decent transmission, I just have no appetite for an automatic transmission behind a high torque diesel engine. I'm driving a stick now and I'll drive one for the rest of my life. Did I mention that the Duramaxes have clutch problems and dual mass flywheel problems with their stick setups ?

If I were buying a new truck today, I'd be getting a Dodge Megacab Cummins 6 speed manual. There would be no indecision on that. The Ford is out because of the 6L. The Duramax is out because of no stick on the new engine, overheating problems and clutch problems.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Cant access the first link. Had to join DieselPlace to see the second one. They are claiming high teens and low 20s for MPGs. Whats wrong with that?

Hoot is doing a great job defending us and Dodge. He has some pics of the Mega Cab Dually. Here is the link.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46255

Dusty
Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM

I dont know if i would go that far! 12's,24's and 03 to 04.5's are good but theses HO's with injector problems are becoming more common.Ive replace three of these motors so far.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:31 PM

The old 7.3's (other than cackle) were good motors too. The old IDI's were slow but very good engines. (change the coolant tho.)
Don't forget about the 53 blocks either.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM

friend with a powerstroke and friend with a duramax have both had their engines replaced one less time than i have.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:34 PM

On wednesday I replaced my PowerPuke with an 05 3500 DRW 4x2. This thing is like driving a sports car compared to my F350.

Joe

PS. My Power Puke had every problem mentioned in the original post.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

3rd gens might have injector issues (early ones anyway), but the Duramax uses the same injector, so it is having the same problems or worse.

As far as the mileage goes on the Duramax, yeah, high teens or low twenties. The same as a Cummins. If I needed a drag racer I might be interested in a 6L or Duramax, but for fuel economy/longevity/torque/pulling and trouble free operation, I don't think you can beat a Cummins.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:35 PM

i can only wish my dodge got low twenties,,,,,and as for the injector problems,at least chevy is taking care of their customers.the older dura`s even got an extended injector warranty to 200k....they dont feed B.S.to their customers about "extended idle time",and "not working the truck hard enough".......as a thought,if the working the truck deal was to be true,then what exactly is the difference doing that,wouldnt it be just commanding higher rail pressures?if that be the case,then wouldnt a mild pressure box help them?.......................bama
Old 10-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

bana: put some pictures of your 3rd gen in your gallery and I'll comment on your mileage.

I'm actually getting 20MPG around the city, but

- my truck is a 2WD 6 speed
- it is lower than a 4x4
- my OD is higher ratio than a NV5600
- my tires are larger OD than stock Dodge tires
- my truck weighs 6600 pounds
- I baby it a bit, especially when I've got all that torque

The PSD got about 16.5 MPG around town. It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but the Cummins is 20% better than the PSD was. 20% of $100 to fill is $20, every time I fill.

Just wait until I remove the 3rd injection event...
Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 PM

Angry

i am losing fath in my dodge its an 05 with 10,000 miles already had a tranny go out and two fuel pressure realys i am going to strat shoppin for somthin new dodge is the worst to deal with warrnty stuff with.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ryans05
i am losing fath in my dodge its an 05 with 10,000 miles already had a tranny go out and two fuel pressure realys i am going to strat shoppin for somthin new dodge is the worst to deal with warrnty stuff with.
Try looking at your lemon law brochure. Not every vehicle on the assembly line is built equal. Keep all receipts and document everything. Then get a new one.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Are you saying you are seeing 05's with injector problems where you don't with the 04's?
Maybe should have stayed with my 04!
Old 10-01-2005, 10:03 PM

superduty,,,,my truck is rolling on 35`s,with 3.73 gears.im not dissappointed in my mileage at all,as im at 18 now,since mods.and thats not highway,its everyday driving.and ill tell you right now,,it runs heads above what it did stock.im very impressed with it now.if anybody is wanting to upgrade,but are apprehensive about mods,id say spend under 300 bucks,and go my route...........bama
Old 10-01-2005, 10:05 PM

dodge is so shady on warrty stuff they looked at my truck and said i had no warrenty on drivetrain cause the lift an tires. the dealers around me have know idea what is going on. they talked to me like i ahve no clue what i am talking i may be young put i know whats goin on.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ryans05
dodge is so shady on warrty stuff they looked at my truck and said i had no warrenty on drivetrain cause the lift an tires. the dealers around me have know idea what is going on. they talked to me like i ahve no clue what i am talking i may be young put i know whats goin on.
Im confused! you altered the suspension 6 inches and put 37 in tires on it you have tranny problems and dump on dodge for not honoring your warranty?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cummins is the only engine without major problems...