General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

compressed air to spool up turbo idea ????

Old 10-23-2006, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb compressed air to spool up turbo idea ????

So we all want to be able to spool the turbo up from nothing. well anyone ever tryed useing compressed air? you could eather put it in the pre turbo, kinda scary there hot exhaust then you blast it with cold compressed air. But what if you did it on the intake right before it goes in, say two 1" air lines set at 90 psi quick flow electronic valves. it would only be a sort burst but you think it would add boost to the motor. the air supply could come from a compressed air tank. or some thing along the lines of a scuba tank. has any one tryed this? I may have to see if I can get ahold of a spare intake elbow of ebay and drill some holes in it to give it a try. supose I could figure out how much volume there is between the turbo and intercooler to the intake then get the numbers on how much cfm of air flow I would need/how long my supply would last. I am thinking you go from idel turn on air then take off. well tear this idea apart. cole
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess it would be possible to put a directed jet to the exhaust side. add a valve and you could get the thing spinning pretty good. Then again just put a blower on it and you've got boost from idle to redline. A 6-71 should be sized just about right for our blocks.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I see a lot of blown intercooler boots in your future
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that some one, maybe like porche, etc.., experimented with a turbo that had an electric motor attached just to spool it up, then disengaged. Just what I heard from a professor in college. I never really looked into it but in theory it would maybe work?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Industrial turbochargers on 2-cycle engines use compressed air assist to spin up the turbo(s) for startup and for providing sufficient scavenging air until the engine has enough load to make the turbocharger(s) self-sustaining.

Rusty
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just looking at the size of the intake tubing to the manifold indicates to me the that volume of compressed air would have to be very high.
Assisting with compressed air might work if the compressor had a six cylinder engine that you towed behind your truck.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the industrial engines, compressed air assist volumes aren't that high since the air is directed tangentially at the tips of the compressor blades through 3 orificed nozzles. In other words, the kinetic energy associated with the velocity of the compressed air is used to spin up the impeller as opposed to just dumping compressed air into the inlet duct. Imagine directing compressed air from your shop air compressor through a "blower" nozzle onto the tips of a child's pinwheel.

The compressed air used on industrial engines for this purpose is drawn from the starting air receivers.

Rusty
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At first I thought that maybe the compressed air idea was apipe dream. I never knew there were actually applications that used this. I wonder if the complication and expense would really be worth it though.

On another note, I actually saw a mustang in a magazine in the funny pics section at the back who took a leaf blower and attached it to a A/C converter and wired it up. It was mounted to the end of the intake with a K&N filter on the end of it. It was hilarious. I guess it worked to an extent though. Maybe we should all just get leaf blowers or maybe twin leaf blowers. LOL
Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not inject nitrous into the impeller, and hydrazine into the intake manifold?

p.s. - be sure to get video for us!