PDA

View Full Version : Clutch is history

Cat Cracker
10-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Well. just as I re-assemble my gauges and get them working properly, (thanx RattlinRam) I am on my way to the local Wally-Mart and the engine revs, and the truck doesnt accelerate. It will slip in every gear if I try to accelerate to quickly. Natually, its NOT covered by the warranty. (39,500mi)<br>So, I hear alot about southbend clutches, just wanted some opinions if thats the way to go, or what. Also, I have never installed a clutch before, so if I cant enlist a friend to help, does anyone know any shops around west-central Ohio that does? Sorry for the long post, but I'm a little frustrated with my truck right now. Worst part is telling my kids we cant go camping this weekend...Cat Cracker.

Superduty12v
10-21-2002, 02:24 PM
A clutch is very simple to install so as long as you're capable of pulling the transmission yourself then it's quite alright. My opinion on South Bend clutch is so: Their clutches are good quality, they're not the cheapest clutch company but they are very helpful in sending everything you need to install a clutch like the input tool and what not. The South Bend clutch I bought looked like they just through something together and sent it. It was a Luk Gold pressure plate and some other brand disc with a general throw-out bearing. It wasn't cheap either ($650) But I also was using it as an adapter clutch so that might have jacked the price. As long as the price of your application sounds good to you then I would recommend South Bend for the history of satisfied customers... but I don't see the difference in buying SB or a Luk clutch [undecided]

Cat Cracker
10-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Well went ahead and ordered the South Bend Con ofe. Cant procrastinate too long on what to order, maybe by then my stealth pump cover will be here...then, lookout... ;D<br> Thanx for the input Superduty12v.<br><br> Cat Cracker

papaduck
03-14-2003, 02:08 PM
If the clutch is out on the truck listed in your sig - the power train warranty is 70,000 miles.

Shovelhead
03-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Ah yes, but the clutch is a &quot;Wear-Item&quot; like brake pads. ;)<br>Normally not covered.

KSwanner
03-15-2003, 08:11 PM
That worries me that your clutch is already gone. Are you BOMBED any??????? This worries me because I got a job this summer hauling hay. I guess Ill see what happens. Kyle

bulthisl
03-16-2003, 09:46 AM
The clutch is not hard to change as long as you have the tools and jack to do the job.<br>I have changed several in these trucks the last one was 3 days ago.<br>I've put clutches in others [ cars , trucks , tractors , ect. ]<br>for many years and no prob with the right tools.<br>The South Bend is a great clutch and yes they use a Luk plate but it is modified.<br>IMHO it's alot better clutch for these trucks that are on the road than the others out there. <br>Nuf said before a war starts .<br>Don't want or intend to do that.<br>Anyway good luck with your truck.<br>If you were a little closer maybe I could work something out foe ya.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)