PDA

View Full Version : Can I pull it (drw v-10)

cincydiesel
08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
My dad swears that his Dodge v-10 daully would out pull me. I'd love to try it but I'm not sure I could make up the difference with only having srw.

Bobcat698
08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Hold your brake until he spins, then start pulling.

EDITED.. New explanation below.

RustyJC
08-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Using that line of logic, top fuel dragsters would run better ETs if they used bicycle tires on the rear since that would provide more pressure per tire. It depends whether you're going to pull on pavement (where more rubber = more traction) or on grass or dirt (where the higher unit loading of a narrower tire, or fewer tires, might provide some advantage).

Rusty

blackdiesel
08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
on pavement, i really dont think that the dually will spin. i cant even bark my tires on the pavement. but of course ive never been hooked to anything thats been trying to go the other way. but on the grass...... i dont know. anybodys game i would think

cincydiesel
08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
The pull would be on blacktop

blackdiesel
08-09-2005, 03:58 PM
is urs a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton srw? on blacktop i do belive that ur dad would out pull you. but the only way to know is to try it? ill stand corrected if you win....:rolleyes:

Bobcat698
08-09-2005, 04:38 PM
RustyJC, here is a better explanation:

If you're both in 2wd the single wheel truck will get more traction on pavement due to its higher pounds per square inch of weight pushing down on the pavement...
With a dually the load is more evenly placed and has less weight on each contact patch of rubber on the ground that will allow them to spin more easily...

TxDiesel007
08-09-2005, 04:40 PM
TQ for TQ

No he cannot pull you, mass and traction.. he has a chance.. is say go ahead and dump some weights in the rear to make up for the tires, then pull him... But bobcat is right, you have more contact area with ur single rear wheel than he does with his duals, specially if you are running larger tires.. regardless i still say ud pull him.... get a video if u try it!! :D

Tx

blackdiesel
08-09-2005, 07:11 PM
ive got a buddy with the same set up as mine and he can get out and smoke the tires compleatly off of his truck from a stand still with out powerbraking on a 3/4 ton. Now if id try that on my truck id smoke the clutch compleatly out of it or shell out every u joint on the truck. and not even bark the tires.

PourinDiesel
08-09-2005, 07:20 PM
ADD WEIGHT TO YOUR TRUCK!

Kman9090
08-09-2005, 09:52 PM
In 2wd he is gonna pull you. In 4wd you are gonna pull him. Dodges are so light on the back that anything will pull them in 2wd. I have about 8 hooks on pavement with my 2005. I pulled aganist a 03 6.0 Stoker 3 times twice in 4wd drive and I drug him and once in 2wd and he dryug me. then 3 times to a 97 stroker all 3 timmes in 4wd I drug him, My brothers 01 once and I drug him. Also in my 2004 automatic I hooked up to a similar situation. 1 ton dually to my 3/4 ton Dodge the dually was a 96 Chevy with the 6.6 diesel and in 4wd I drug him but in 2wd he drug me. So I say you win by a long shot in 4wd.

Kman9090
08-09-2005, 09:52 PM
In 2wd he is gonna pull you. In 4wd you are gonna pull him. Dodges are so light on the back that anything will pull them in 2wd. I have about 8 hooks on pavement with my 2005. I pulled aganist a 03 6.0 Stoker 3 times twice in 4wd drive and I drug him and once in 2wd and he dryug me. then 3 times to a 97 stroker all 3 timmes in 4wd I drug him, My brothers 01 once and I drug him. Also in my 2004 automatic I hooked up to a similar situation. 1 ton dually to my 3/4 ton Dodge the dually was a 96 Chevy with the 6.6 diesel and in 4wd I dug him but in 2wd he drug me. So I say you win by a long shot in 4wd.

blackdiesel
08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
i second kman

Bobcat698
08-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I pulled a Duramax backwards in 2WD
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74721

Kman9090
08-09-2005, 10:23 PM
well maybe a dmax is even lighter than a cummins in the back but I know my truck is about 700 pounds lighter than any powerstroke I know and that is with a tool box and about 150 pounds worth of tools.

halerazor
08-10-2005, 03:18 AM
are you guys kidding me, i pulled a v10 ext cab with my 96 2500 and it only had a #6 plate. we pulled in the dirt and both of us just spun, then we took it to the street and i didn't even know he was behind me except for the glare of his brake lights in my rear view. it wont even be close

CTD NUT
08-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by blackdiesel02
ive got a buddy with the same set up as mine and he can get out and smoke the tires compleatly off of his truck from a stand still with out powerbraking on a 3/4 ton. Now if id try that on my truck id smoke the clutch compleatly out of it or shell out every u joint on the truck. and not even bark the tires.

Something is wrong if you can't bust the rears loose!! If my Comp is on 5x5, I have no trouble peelin' out on pavement with a hard 2nd gear launch and I don't even have big injectors like you. My 2500 hooks up much better and will launch MUCH harder and clearly takes more power to bust the rears free.....but it does do better burn outs since it has so much more power. With the dually you are cutting the contact pressure in half because you doubled the area. Sure, the dually looks intimidating with the 4 rears but don't be fooled - the weight will be much more important in the tug o' war........it is still anyones pull, IMO.;)

RustyJC
08-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Bobcat698
RustyJC, here is a better explanation:

If you're both in 2wd the single wheel truck will get more traction on pavement due to its higher pounds per square inch of weight pushing down on the pavement...
With a dually the load is more evenly placed and has less weight on each contact patch of rubber on the ground that will allow them to spin more easily... I understand your point completely. If that's true, then why doesn't a top fueler run skinny tires to "get more traction"?

On pavement, the rubber conforms to the aggregate irregularities in the asphalt, making the tire-to-pavement connection more similar to a rack (road) and pinion (tire) gear arrangement than the classical physics coefficient-of-friction model. In this case, the shear strength of the rubber and the amount of rubber in contact with the asphalt (i.e., more gear teeth) determine traction. That's why race cars use wide tires/slicks - to get MORE rubber in contact with the road.

Rusty

Mcmopar
08-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Be sneaky, make sure your hitch is higher than his, you will pull his rearend up and he will pull yours down-exerting more downforce on your tires.

cincydiesel
08-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I do have the anti spin diff, and he does as well. I have driven his truck and pulled with it several times and you can really feel a difference in power between the two. The Cummins has twice the power...

CTD NUT
08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by RustyJC
I understand your point completely. If that's true, then why doesn't a top fueler run skinny tires to "get more traction"?

On pavement, the rubber conforms to the aggregate irregularities in the asphalt, making the tire-to-pavement connection more similar to a rack (road) and pinion (tire) gear arrangement than the classical physics coefficient-of-friction model. In this case, the shear strength of the rubber and the amount of rubber in contact with the asphalt (i.e., more gear teeth) determine traction. That's why race cars use wide tires/slicks - to get MORE rubber in contact with the road.

Rusty

You hit it on the head with the coefficient of friction......since it is ultimately the friction that determines traction. Drag slicks run incredibly soft rubber compounds that create the required friction instead of relying on contact pressure. On a dually, the rubber compound isn't anywhere near soft enough to generate the same coefficient of friction the the single wheel truck achieves by higher contact pressure.

RustyJC
08-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by CTD NUT
You hit it on the head with the coefficient of friction......since it is ultimately the friction that determines traction.Not really. If you re-read my prior post, the conformance of the rubber around the aggregate (gravel) and other irregularities in the asphalt creates a system that behaves more like a geared model than a static or sliding coefficient of friction model. If tire traction were governed by the coefficient of friction, a race car could never pull over 1.0G in acceleration, deceleration or cornering, but they do this routinely. This is only possible because there's a gear-type mechanical "lock" between the tires and road irregularities.
Drag slicks run incredibly soft rubber compounds that create the required friction instead of relying on contact pressure. On a dually, the rubber compound isn't anywhere near soft enough to generate the same coefficient of friction the the single wheel truck achieves by higher contact pressure. The soft compounds better conform to the irregularities in the pavement and, thus, make a more efficient "geartrain" through which forces are transmitted. As I said above, if it were strictly a coefficient of friction model, 1.0G is the maximum force a tire could transmit, since 1.0G is the static vertical force imposed on the vehicle due to gravity and transmitted to the ground through the tires. In a gear type model, the limiting factor is (1.) the amount of force each gear tooth (tire conformity) can transmit before shearing and (2.) the number of gear teeth involved in the power transmission (bigger, softer tires).

Rusty

CSAGrey1
08-10-2005, 12:04 PM
All fine and well but what it really amounts to is BLAH BLAH BLAH. Just hook the dang thing up and give it a whurl! If you lose then you know you got same more work to do.

blackdiesel
08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Something is wrong if you can't bust the rears loose!! If my Comp is on 5x5, I have no trouble peelin' out on pavement with a hard 2nd gear launch and I don't even have big injectors like you. My 2500 hooks up much better and will launch MUCH harder and clearly takes more power to bust the rears free.....but it does do better burn outs since it has so much more power. With the dually you are cutting the contact pressure in half because you doubled the area. Sure, the dually looks intimidating with the 4 rears but don't be fooled - the weight will be much more important in the tug o' war........it is still anyones pull, IMO.;)

sorry, but my dually just wont do it. And dad has a truck just exactly like mine and his wont do that either. Now if i went out and chaned it down and blocked the front tires and had a dd clutch and bullet proof drive train, if i could get em spinning, i could roast em off of there. but just tryin to go out and lay a nice set of black marks, it aint gunna happen.

RustyJC
08-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CSAGrey1
All fine and well but what it really amounts to is BLAH BLAH BLAH.Excuse me. I'll not bother anyone else with my windbag posts. Go hitch it up and get it on. :rolleyes:

Rusty

CTD NUT
08-10-2005, 12:48 PM
You can continue to bother me.;) I find your posts interesting and educational.....Although I did ok in physics classes, I have not retained as much information as I would have liked. Let them hitch up and pull their trucks apart.....if that is how they have fun, so be it, but I hope you still have some air left in your windbag for those of us who are interested!:)

CTD NUT
08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by blackdiesel02
sorry, but my dually just wont do it. And dad has a truck just exactly like mine and his wont do that either. Now if i went out and chaned it down and blocked the front tires and had a dd clutch and bullet proof drive train, if i could get em spinning, i could roast em off of there. but just tryin to go out and lay a nice set of black marks, it aint gunna happen.

:confused: :confused: Well, it don't get much more heavy duty than a D80, 1410 u-joints and a NV5600.....that is a drivetrain with a lot of beef!.....Let 'er rip!!:D

blackdiesel
08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
:confused: :confused: Well, it don't get much more heavy duty than a D80, 1410 u-joints and a NV5600.....that is a drivetrain with a lot of beef!.....Let 'er rip!!:D

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] lemmie find some chains and some blocks!

blackdiesel
08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by RustyJC
Excuse me. I'll not bother anyone else with my windbag posts. Go hitch it up and get it on. :rolleyes:

Rusty

im gunna haveta agree. (with the hitch it up and get it on part) :D catch it on video!!

blackdiesel
08-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Well did you ever hook em up??

cincydiesel
08-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Not yet still tryin to get him to do it. I even wagered a little money

durasmack
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
so when you do this, you are going to let me know so i can come over and shoot some video of this to post up here, right?

blackdiesel
08-15-2005, 09:15 PM
lol somebody needs to catch the video!! :D

wings
08-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Great...my neighbor spotted this and now he wants to try his 04 Suburban 350 against my 99 3500 dually 2wd 5spd 4.10 gears. I got a 20k tow strap so should I bet a steak dinner on this or not?? There is a great place not far $35 a head.
on pavement. Both of us are bone stock. I'll let about 20# out of the rear tires so they grab the full width.

bentwings

blackdiesel
08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
i believe that you will be able to pull him all the way to the resturant![laugh]

cincydiesel
08-17-2005, 02:32 PM
the dually will pull the Suburban without a problem

Kman9090
08-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Good god! Lets hope a 7500lbs diesel will out pull a 6000lbs SUV :rolleyes: , on top of that you have a 5spd.

TxDiesel007
08-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by wings
Great...my neighbor spotted this and now he wants to try his 04 Suburban 350 against my 99 3500 dually 2wd 5spd 4.10 gears. I got a 20k tow strap so should I bet a steak dinner on this or not?? There is a great place not far $35 a head.
on pavement. Both of us are bone stock. I'll let about 20# out of the rear tires so they grab the full width.

bentwings

if his truck is an 04, its probably a 6.0 gasser.. either way... i got just this to say

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Ive pulled one guy with a 3/4 ton 4x4 with that 6.0 gasser... bet anything u want on it... ur gonna drag em so easy..

Tx

cumminsdriver635
08-20-2005, 12:22 AM
That 350 probably wont turn a tire unless he has 4x4, and can use low range, in which case he will probably pull you. If hes 2wd, you've got him.

Eric

Kman9090
08-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I've seen a 97 2wd powerstroke hold a 2004 4wd duramax on pavement, just because he weighed an extra 2000lbs more then the chevy, so I think even if the suv is 4wd that you will still take him down the street.