PDA

View Full Version : Big Blue and Diesel_Dan @ Barnwell Mts. (Gilmer, Texas)

Diesel-Dan
01-30-2006, 12:52 PM
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/24055BIG_atv.jpg
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/24055Dodge_with_load_21-med.jpg
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/24055Big_Blue_Dirty-med.JPG
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/24055Blue_Stuck-med.jpg
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/24055My_Day_Ended-med.jpg

The day started out dry....then the Rain hit...and did it! It got VERY messy very fast......and if Tyler had some better tires....he wouldnt have to be yanked out by that STOCK '97 F-150........:) It was fun....my day ended when i found a rock and split my sidewall on my RF tire.....sucked...and no one would patch it!!! haha.....Every thing in the tent got soaked.....good thing is that our group was the only stupid ones in the park pretty much...we had the run. Would have more pics...but it rained pretty hard and the wife would kick it if i broke the camera!

Im sure Tyler will add more......im running out of lunch brake!

Dan

BigBlue
01-30-2006, 12:54 PM
His f-150 was not stock dang you. He had BFG's on there. [laugh] I had a blast. I definately found out though that my 2500 diesel was not designed to do those trails although I think it did fairly well considering the bald tires and inexperienced driver. Oh well. This summer I'm hoping to have a trail rig.

Diesel-Dan
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
UH...also...Tyler.....i blew a bellow boot just past Paris.....and my overall average MPG was 7................ [yuk] Lot a weight for that lil 2500!!!

Stoked
01-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I like going out to Gilmer. I've got a trip planned with some friends coming up at the end of March and I'm taking a Kawasaki Mule diesel to see what I can tear up on it.

BigBlue
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
UH...also...Tyler.....i blew a bellow boot just past Paris.....and my overall average MPG was 7................ [yuk] Lot a weight for that lil 2500!!!

Ouch. That sucks big time. See, if you had gauges you could have seen that your boost was abnormally low and you could have prevented that. ;) I managed 14mpg on the trip up there but that tank also had all of the fourwheeling on it and I know that didn't help it one bit.

Diesel-Dan
01-30-2006, 05:32 PM
WELP....the explosion under the hood and massive amts of smoke was a pretty good indicator........

TexasCTD
01-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I like going out to Gilmer. I've got a trip planned with some friends coming up at the end of March and I'm taking a Kawasaki Mule diesel to see what I can tear up on it.

Stoked, You should come to our next get together for the N.Texas/Waco chapter of DTR. I think we are planning a little camping trip soon. Big Blue and Diesel Dan come to all our events. There is usually something posted in the chapter events area of this forum if you are interested.

Nice pics Dan! Big Blue....get you some BFG All Terrains or Mud terrains!

phox_mulder
01-30-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/24055Blue_Stuck-med.jpg

What are you hooking that strap to?

Someone needs some tow hooks, hooking to the axle is a big no no.

phox

BigBlue
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
I told them to hook it up to the sway bar. Guess I need to invest in a set of tow hooks. Why don't they come factory on a 4x4? :rolleyes:

Ya know, now that I'm looking at it from that picture, it seems a lot easier than what it looked like from the driver's seat. Maybe I should have given it a little more fuel. Oh well. Live and learn.

Diesel-Dan
01-30-2006, 06:40 PM
The pouring down rain and the Red Clay was your down fall.....

Dodge sucked it up with no tow hooks.........i moved my fnt bumper a few inches the last time i got stuck.....

Go with MT/R's

BigBlue
01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
It's between those and a set of jetzen trail cutters.

BigBlue
01-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Well I definately won't be getting the mtr's. For a 315/75/16 they want $272/tire. Screw that.

phox_mulder
01-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Well I definately won't be getting the mtr's. For a 315/75/16 they want $272/tire. Screw that.

For that price, you can get PJ's.
(no, not that PJ, Parnelli Jones Dirt Gripz)

phox

oestreich84
01-30-2006, 10:37 PM

Take a look at Mastercraft Courser CT's. I just bought a set of them, and they did pretty good in the mud this past weekend. 315's should run you about $150 each. Plus they have a 40k mile warranty.

BigBlue
01-31-2006, 12:15 AM
That's a dang good price. I'm looking for a cheap set of 315's seeing as how I'm in college. I don't really care whether they are a pavement only tire or not. My truck doesn't do this but once or maybe twice a year.

HappyGA
01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
The Maxxis Buckshot Mudders are awesome. You can get between 40 and 50k out of them, and they are awesome on the trails...

You can score them on abay for about $600 for the entire set.

new2ctd
01-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I am a newbie here and want to join the North Texas Chapter. I'm here in Coppell.

Would love to come out next time.

Also going to ask Diesel Dan to do some shop work for me.

Stoked
01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Stoked, You should come to our next get together for the N.Texas/Waco chapter of DTR. I think we are planning a little camping trip soon. Big Blue and Diesel Dan come to all our events. There is usually something posted in the chapter events area of this forum if you are interested.

I had planned on making the trip down for the last Waco meet, but I forgot that I was going to be out of town the three days prior to that. Saturdays work better for me than Sunday's, but I might try to make on of those or the next one at Charlie's place.

crobtex
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
If you haven't already done so, PM me your email adress and I will add you to my DTR broadcast email. I use the email and forums here to communicate what's going on in this area.

Also, hotdram has a good website with pics, etc of some of our activities.

http://www.riegerweb.com/Nortex_DTR.htm

getblown5.9
01-31-2006, 10:56 AM
dont feel bad BB...i have been pulled out by an F-150 and 2 jeeps...tho it took all 3 getting a running start and pulling at the same time...tho all 3 were lifted with 33's or 35's...no stock truck was pulling me out :D

i have a buddy with 5k miles on some BFG AT 315's and he is gonna give them to me for $500 but if he doesnt get new tires soon so i can get his "old" ones then im gonna have to go ahead and buy some buckshot mudders...found them for $560 shipped on ebay last night

BigBlue
01-31-2006, 11:13 AM
I called up a local place and asked for the pricing on the Cooper ST's. With lifetime balance, rotate, and road hazard, 4 315/75/16's are gonna cost me $916.35. Geez. Getting a good tire ain't cheap. I think I'm gonna scrap the lifetime balance and stuff because I'm gonna get either the centramatic balancers or the balancing beads. Probably the centramatics because you only have to buy them once.

getblown5.9
01-31-2006, 12:14 PM
i tried dyna-beads ceramic beads...they dont work worth a hoot...my tires vibrate so bad from 65-70 mph its insane...no wonder my dad never asks to drive my truck

when i get my BFG's mounted im just gonna have them balanced the old way and be done with it.

Gotlift01
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I called up a local place and asked for the pricing on the Cooper ST's. With lifetime balance, rotate, and road hazard, 4 315/75/16's are gonna cost me $916.35. Geez. Getting a good tire ain't cheap. I think I'm gonna scrap the lifetime balance and stuff because I'm gonna get either the centramatic balancers or the balancing beads. Probably the centramatics because you only have to buy them once.

Don't feel bad, I just dropped $337 a piece on my 38" Swamper SSR's............... :o [dummy] Oh well they look cool so that's all that matters!!!

~Nick

NOTE: That didn't include tax or mounting and balancing [verymad]

Diesel-Dan
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
I am a newbie here and want to join the North Texas Chapter. I'm here in Coppell.

Would love to come out next time.

Also going to ask Diesel Dan to do some shop work for me.

Do you want me to make you sick? Guess where is my home town? Guess where 95% of the people that went to Gilmer Graduated from? Guess where 50% of the group left from to get there? Small world.....

I used to live on Mockingbird Ln....my Dad was a principal for Mockingbird Elementary.....

Diesel-Dan
01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Don't feel bad, I just dropped $337 a piece on my 38" Swamper SSR's............... :o [dummy] Oh well they look cool so that's all that matters!!!

~Nick

NOTE: That didn't include tax or mounting and balancing [verymad]

Dont make me cry.....(See Pic)

displacedtexan
01-31-2006, 09:52 PM

Call somewhere else... I paid less than $720 for my Cooper S/T 285s after mounting/balancing/taxes this morning. I know yours are gonna be bigger, but not $50 a tire... (I was gonna go to 315s on this set so I piced them a few months back, but forgot the #)

cumminsdriver635
01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
I also like my Mastercraft Courser C/T's. Seems they are good for about 40k miles or so, and they look good, and go really good not to be a true M/T. I got in some awful mud the week before last with a 25' goosneck behind me. I thought i was going to slide down into some stuff because i was on a hill, but I hammered down, and she spooled, and banged 2nd(4 hi), and I was plowing ground from there on out. :D I didnt get stuck either, but its a wonder. It had been raining all day, and night hard when it happened. It sure left some ruts. I will try to get pictures [coffee]

Eric

TxDiesel007
02-01-2006, 11:59 AM
For fun in the mud

I put some bobcat tires on my truck. I had some old deep dish rims before (had to sell to buy books for college) and i mounted some bobcat tires (used of coarse) to those rims. traction was fun! :D but highway ride was horrible lol. Needless to say that is not for the faint if u have back problems. I only did it once tho, and it was enough

Rick

Diesel-Dan
02-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Ya know....i was just thinking about that when we went for our Skid Steer engine training in Sherman yesterday. They had a few used bald tires in the back.........Those are some GRIPPY tires! and they are 16.5 rims.....just run lots of air pressure......but not much ground clearance though.........short side walls....