PDA

View Full Version : Anybody made their own eliminator pipe?

MikeyB
11-28-2003, 06:09 AM
I'm thinking about making a eliminator pipe. Any one tried this yet? Thanks for any input.

MikeyB

Stoked
11-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Some people have done it. Problem is finding something the right size. A piece of 5" pipe is too small. I think a PVC pipe connector for 4.5" or 5" (not sure of the size) will work. The outside dimension is the critical one.

Another idea is to remove the vanes from inside the factory pipe. Only a problem if you plan on re-installing it for some reason and want a factory look.

MikeyB
11-29-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the info.
I want to keep the baffle pipe intact just incase I don't like the results. I'm trying to contact a local muffler shop that has done some custom work for me in the past to see if they have 5" pipe that can be enlarged to 5.25" OD.

MikeyB

dodgedude361
11-29-2003, 03:00 PM
contact member "Mark thomas", theres a POST started by him about this. he made me one too, sorry, no pic of mine. goto members photo`s, i think HE has a pic of his.

Stoked
11-29-2003, 03:11 PM
I assumed you meant the piece of pipe in the intake system between the filter and the turbo that has the vanes in it. Replacements for this piece are being called eliminators as well as the muffler eliminators (both pieces being sold by Geno's). My previous post relates to the intake eliminator pipe, not the muffler (obviously PVC wouldn't be used in the exhaust system).

Stoked
11-29-2003, 10:17 PM
I went to Home Depot today and bought a 4" PVC coupler which has an outside diameter of roughly 5". It is too small. I ended up using a Sawzall to cut into the vanes on both ends and the using a hammer and chisel to break the vanes to get them out. They are probably in there for a reason, but oh well. A smoother flowing pipe would be a better choice, but this is only temporary. I plan on installing an AFE system from Diesel Dynamics and it comes with a piece to replace the pipe.

RoadDawg
12-02-2003, 07:36 AM
what is the benifit of this ELIMINATOR pipe???

MikeyB
12-02-2003, 07:47 AM
The eliminator pipe replaces the intake pipe that has the vane inside to reduce the turbo whistle.

MikeyB

WTTD
12-02-2003, 08:38 AM
I have been using a piece of 6" long 5" diameter exhaust pipe, a little bit small but clamps down nice and tight.

Agades
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
If you know someone with a fab shop and a small roll, they should be able to roll up the right OD out of flat stock. just have one seam to weld ;) ;)

Hairy1
12-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Geno's web page with the pipe

http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/showdetl.cfm?&DID=30&Product_ID=1253&CATID=1

Agades
12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
does anyone know exactly what the OD is?
im too lazy to go take mine out and measure it ::)

MikeyB
12-03-2003, 09:40 PM
does anyone know exactly what the OD is?
im too lazy to go take mine out and measure it ::)

It's about 5.25" OD.

MikeyB

Hairy1
12-04-2003, 08:36 AM
OK....5.25 OD
How long should I make it?

bulabula
12-04-2003, 12:11 PM
OK....5.25 OD
How long should I make it?Low long? Take the OEM out and measure it twice.

I've seen a picture of one online from a guy who made it out of PVC.

Hairy1
12-04-2003, 12:42 PM
We'll I could do that....but if someone already knows....all I have to do is go get the stuff! Not tear it apart and put it back only to tear it off again!
Makes sense to me.
I have to work outside and it ain't to hot right now!

dodgedude361
12-04-2003, 06:46 PM
guys, do you see my post, PM mark thomas. He made some of them, and he`ll give you the dimmensions(sp). goto page thirtysumthing under members photo`s, look for "marks truck" he has pics of tho one he made. i have one on my truck, and i can really hear her sing :D :D :D :D :D :D

roperdog
12-05-2003, 08:26 AM
DD361

thanks for narrowing down the page...i began the search but got tired of looking in the twenty somethings...
i'll start in the thirties this time

roperdog
12-05-2003, 08:27 AM
dd361

did you remove your silencer ring?
mine is staying in because i do not want to lose any performance ;D

Hairy1
12-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Page 34 Marks truck

MikeyB
12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
I PM Mark. Hopefully I will hear back from Mark on making the eliminator pipes.

MikeyB

dodgedude361
12-05-2003, 01:42 PM
dd361

did you remove your silencer ring?
mine is staying in because i do not want to lose any performance ;D
yes i did, if you want to hear the turbo you should remove the ring. as far as LOSS of performance,i haven`t noticed any. all that ring is for is to make it quiet.

Agades
12-11-2003, 08:57 AM
I spent a fair amount of time making a really nice polished stainless one

made the turbo sound good ;D

but

lost some throttle response and about 1mpg :(

so I went back and welded in a cross piece kind of like the stock one only without the baffles and holes

still sounds good and got my throttle response back ;D
dont know about mileage yet

IMHO, that little black thing does a lot more than quiet down things, it also keeps the air from spinning with the turbo

roperdog
12-11-2003, 10:20 AM
I spent a fair amount of time making a really nice polished stainless one

made the turbo sound good ;D

but

lost some throttle response and about 1mpg :(

so I went back and welded in a cross piece kind of like the stock one only without the baffles and holes

still sounds good and got my throttle response back ;D
dont know about mileage yet

IMHO, that little black thing does a lot more than quiet down things, it also keeps the air from spinning with the turbo

really???
i think the baffle is far too distant from the compressor to have any effect on turbulence into the IN side of the turbo.
the philosophy of the TAG (dieselpowerproducts.com) is what you are speaking of.
are you sure you didn't just have your "foot" into it more since it sounded immensely better? ;D

Agades
12-11-2003, 11:36 AM
you know I really thought in my mind that getting rid of that thing would be good for flow and all that
but I gave it as true of a test as I could (without a dyno)

I drove a 200 mile trip on sunday with the plastic and got 19mpg with the cruise on 62 mph

I drove the same trip on monday with the homemade stainless "eliminator" and cruise on 62mph and got 17.7 mpg and noticed a little less throttle response (not major difference but a difference)

I would really like to see someone with access to a dyno give this thing a real test to see exactly what it does effect

I dont think theres any difference in peak hp or torque but I noticed the bottom end change

I think this thing is dodges answer to the TAG

Agades
12-11-2003, 11:44 AM
oh yah,
its extremely easy to make one if you have a small slip roll

the pipe is 6.75"long X 5.25"OD

FL = [OD - (1.333 x MT)] x 3.1416

FL = flat length
OD = outside diameter
MT = metal thickness

Hairy1
12-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Is this rolled type really sealed tight? If welded OK but with it being rivited together? Seems like dirt could migrate through there some how.? Any thoughts

MikeyB
12-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Is this rolled type really sealed tight? If welded OK but with it being rivited together? Seems like dirt could migrate through there some how.? Any thoughts

Hairy1,
You can run a bead of RTV between the overlapping seams before riveting the two pieces together.

MikeyB

Agades
12-14-2003, 11:00 AM

how do you think most tubing is made?

its rolled then welded at the seam.

why would you rivet when you can weld?

of course the rivets will leak.

Geets
12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
I made mine the other day out of PVC fittings. I found these adaptors at Home Depot that connect 4" PVC to Soil Pipe. So I took two of these which the outside diameter is 5.25", I cut the ends off that are used to connect to the 4" pipe leaving about 3/8" to allow a surface to join the two pieces together. I did have to dremel those surfaces down where they needed to be glued since they were never meant to be together. Once I was happy with the fit I glued them together with PVC cement which literally melts the two pieces together so no leaks will be present. I them threw a quick coat of flat black engine enamel on it. It looks like it belongs there. The diameter is just about an 1/8" larger than the stock housing and all I had to do was loosen the hose clamps further and the rubber fits so good on there it almost doesn't need the clamps, but of course I clamped them down. When I get a chance I will post some pics.

Hairy1
12-15-2003, 02:18 PM
I know how tubing is made Agades....but there is someone here in this thread that is Riviting them together that's why I was asking....I think I might be afraid if a river cut loose could do a lot of damage.

Agades
12-16-2003, 10:38 AM
sorry sorry sorry, i didnt realize someone was riveting them ::)

why would you do that ?

i dont understand

not trying to hack on ya hairy1,sorry

Hairy1
12-16-2003, 10:58 AM
How much to make me one Agades

Agades
12-16-2003, 11:16 AM
would you want just the tube or the air viens in it also?
polished or unpolished

I guess I hadnt thought of making them for sale. I just wanted to try it out and of course I didnt want to buy one.

I do have one extra one made right now with the viens in it and its polished ;D

what does genos sell theres for? I havent looked

I will post some pictures when I get a chance to get some film

Agades
12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
oh, I see the genos one is $50

if you want to talk price, send me a personal message

I dont think we are supposed to talk price on the thread
but yes, I can make u one however u want it

Hairy1
12-16-2003, 04:21 PM
What is the difference Vanes VS no Vanes?

Agades
12-17-2003, 11:05 AM
the vanes just give the air a little direction and help to stop the swirling effect, not quite as effective as a TAG but helps some.

dodgedude361
12-17-2003, 06:59 PM
if your making an eliminator pipe, why woul;d you put the veins in it?isn`t the whole idea of the "eliminator pipe",to ELIMINATE the veins? ???i`m just confused

Agades
12-17-2003, 08:23 PM
the vanes themselves have nothing to do with the sound

the factory pipe has the vanes with hundreds of little holes in them and also baffles or sound chambers around the tube to cut out the sound

basically ive made the same tube with out any sound baffling

roperdog
12-20-2003, 05:40 PM
the vanes break up the high frequency acoustic wave lengths being "transmitted" by the turbo (turbo whine/whistle) and all the tiny holes in the vanes also aid in the absorption of high frequencies.
the vanes do absolutely nothing to straighten out the air -- it is purely acoustic absorption.
the swirling created by the turbo is created a few inches from the intake side of the compressor wheel -- enter the theory behind the tag. the eliminator pipe is too far away from the compressor wheel to have any effect on arresting this swirling effect

roperdog
12-20-2003, 06:41 PM
here is a link that explains the theory behind the tag:

http://dieselpowerproducts.com/tag

MikeyB
01-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Lookie what I found...

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFSI&Category_Code=IT

http://www.samcosport.com/duct.asp

MikeyB

Agades
01-07-2004, 03:11 PM
aluminum transfers heat very efficiently .
good for some things but bad for others.

look at the application and what is VERY CLOSE TO IT and say to yourself, Do I want to heat up the air going into my motor?

I would say the rubber pipe would be your best option.
unless you want to heat up the air;)