PDA

View Full Version : Another ?? for guys w/ 315s.....

Dodgezilla
12-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Did you also put one on your spare? If you did, will it still fit in the spare tire holder? If not how much different is it from the stock tire? If you got a flat and had to put your stock spare on, wouldn't you mess up the differential??

My wife gave me the go-ahead to get some tires ;D :D and I just want to do it right. I'm not getting rims. Only tires as I have no problem with the stock rims.

What's the height of the 315s?? Is it 35"? Tire rack has them on special for $118.00 each :o

-Scott-
12-21-2003, 09:02 PM
I read in the TDR FAQ section that the 315 will just barely fit in the spare spot. The 315's fit onto my 2004's stock chrome-clad steels perfectly, and even cleared with no lift. The factory wheels are actually the better way to go than using aftermarket; The factory wheels have a deep, 6.25" offset that's not usually offered by other manufacturers. This keeps your 315's (which measure 34.5" tall) nicely inside the wheelwells instead of out spraying crap all over your truck! If you do elect not to purchase the bigger spare, don't worry, using the smaller factory one will not damage your differential, although if you have the anti-spin option, I'd keep the milage on the mix-match to a minimum.
Good luck,
-Scott-
ps; $118 is a killer price for those tires, IF they're the BFG all-terrains. Also check ebay for killer deals.

AK RAM
12-21-2003, 09:29 PM
I thought that sounded a little fishy. I measured mine before they were put on the rims and they measured 33 inches exactly. Just went out with a level and a tape measure and they are exactly 33 & 3/4 inches tall in the center at 50psi.

I would definitely do the spare as well. You could probably get by for a few miles or so if you had to, but your right, anything lengthy could mess up stuff…..pressure won't be distributed uniformly on the inner and outer wheel bearings. Not something you would notice right away, but not good just the same.

My 315 spare fits fine under the truck. Actually has enough room to go a little bigger if I wanted :). I just like the way they fill up the wheel well....looks really good. You won't be disappointed. That is a good price as well.

Dodgezilla
12-22-2003, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys, I was planning on getting the 285s but they cost $182.00 each!! :o
I'd rather have the larger ones anyways.

Deuce
12-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey guys check your local Sams Club on prices...........I just bought 4 (I wish it was 5 now) for $115.60 per tire and it was $542.xx for the set.............that was mounted balanced and lifetime rotation. Takes 7 to 10 days to get them

mudturtle660
01-29-2004, 08:48 PM
got my 315's for $103 each and $95 for shipping. off of ebay

ten8fiftyone
01-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Ok, now the algebra question! I measure the 265's at 30 3/4 inches. So if 315's are 33 3/4 , your ride height is now about 1 11/16 higher. Does that sound right? [eyecrazy]

JJHACK
01-29-2004, 10:52 PM
My 35X12.50 spare fits just fine under the truck. It's a big a tire that will fit though. I don't have an inch to spare!

AK RAM
01-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Not the algebra :confused:. I added it up in quarter inch increments on my fingers, and yeah, that sounds about right. [laugh]

Rob_OBX
01-30-2004, 06:15 AM
i'd definitely check with Sams before buying mail order. the couple bucks you save below sams price will be lost when you take them to mounted, and with included balance and rotation for your $9.
How much more convinient can it be when you need to use the road hazard?

Dodgezilla
01-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Well by the time all 5 were mounted and balanced it cost me $750.00. That's not too bad. Plus I just sold my take-offs to a guy with an 03 2500 HEMI[yuk] for $250.00. So I really had a net cost of $500.00...:D

ten8fiftyone
01-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by AK RAM
Not the algebra :confused:. I added it up in quarter inch increments on my fingers, and yeah, that sounds about right. [laugh]

So, now I'm wondering how bad that would mess up the already sticky problem with 5th wheels (or so I've read in other postings) I like the big "meats" but I'm planning on a 5th soon. Anyone running 315's with their 5th?

chrismez
02-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Has anyone put the 2 inch leveling system on their truck after the 315 install? My questions is about the front shocks. Do you need longer ones or will the stock ones work?

rossn2
02-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Have you had your ECM reset? What are the revolution per mile of the tire? Have the 315's affected your fuel mileage? And, lastly, do you find any snow/mud build-up in the frt fender wells causing steering problems when in 4x4?

thanks

looking at going to the 315's without the 2"inch kit.....

TexasZach
02-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Rossn2.... If I remember correctly, the revolutions per mile of a 315 is 600. This is according to the information I found a few days ago on the BF Goodrich web site.
They have a chart you can view via PDF.file of all the tech information on each tire line they offer. I was checking at the All Terrain TA KO's at the time.

Chrismez... F-11 Engineer has added 315's to his truck and the 2" leveling kit as well, you may want to check with him regarding the shock issue.

rossn2
02-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Yes, I just called BFG line on website and was told 601rpms at 45mph. :cool:

wanted some input from people who have not installed the 2" leveling kit regarding mud/snow build-up in frt fender wells causing any steering problems...

Dodgezilla
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM
I don't have a 2" lift and I haven't had any problems yet except that I like to drive the truck more. :D You do get some overspray on the side of the truck but I was getting that with the stock tires.
I won't go back to stock.

AK RAM
02-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't think I have heard of anyone yet that doesn't love the 315s after putting them on. Watch the towing ratings though, not quite as tough as the stock tires :) ! I have not noticed any snow/ice build up that would impact steering, however, I can’t say I have been looking for it either. The 315s do throw a lot of road debris up onto the side of the truck. They seem to reach out and grab every rock within 20 yards of them [laugh]. I ended up putting on a set of fender flares…much better, check my member pics, page 2. If you stick to city/highway driving, you may not notice it as much. No 2” leveling kit and no rub at full lock either way. Revs set to 600 even (lazy dealer) and I checked it with a GPS and it is accurate within less than the width of the speedo needle from 10 mph through 90 mph……so maybe .5 of a mph off?

-Scott-
02-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by chrismez
Has anyone put the 2 inch leveling system on their truck after the 315 install? My questions is about the front shocks. Do you need longer ones or will the stock ones work?
Chrismez, you'll need longer shocks. You may be able to get the stock ones to bolt back in place with the lift spacers, but they will not allow your front axle to droop as your suspension articulates. This condition can cause weird/dangerous handling characteristics on the road. The good news is that the shock mounts on solid axle Dodge 4X4's haven't changed since 1994, so you have a lot of shock choices availble. I put the zippy "Edelbrock extreme travel" shocks with the nifty (looking, anyway) oil reservoirs on my 04', mounting the reservoirs to the tops of the coil towers where everyone can bask in their glory. I don't find their ride to be any different than the factory "Off-Road" package shocks that my truck came with, but they were long enough to work with the 2" lift, and again, they look neat.

rossn2
02-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Dodgezilla & AK Ram,

Thanks for the honest input. I'm in the process of putting up one of those steel/aluminum storage sheds (18x21) and will have to wait a paycheck or two to get the tires..Hopefully the BUshwacker Street Flares will cover most of the road debries along with the mudflaps so I don't have to get the extend-a-flares..;)

rossn2
02-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Okay, I just ordered the BGF 31570R17's thru the AAFES web site (ordertire.com)...including shipping and handling to my door is $561.00...Then the post AAFEES Tire shop will mount them and give me a road hazard warranty, which meets Tire Racks, today price of $123. The normal price for the tire, if you walked into the AAFES Tire Shop and asked is $200. It'll be another $18 per tire for lifetime mount/balance/rotation/road hazard thru AAFES. I have a bad habit of getting Mesquite thorns into my sidewalls everytime I go hunting here in Texas (every other month or so), so the $18 to me is a good deal and now I'll have a tire shop locally that will handle everything...

If you order the tires from TIRE RACK, who will honor any road hazard warranty that you purchase? I couldn't find anyone who would honor the road hazard locally, because you were ordering the tires off the Internet from Tire Rack, which is nothing but a big warehouse...

Just food for thought for any military or retired types around having run into this problem....

Website and 1800 number: http://www.ordertire.com/shop/shop-main.cfm

lucey
02-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Sorry kind of new at this but do you need the 2" leveler for the 315s. Where can one find a kit ? How much ?

AK RAM
02-04-2004, 01:54 AM
There seem to be hundreds of web sites that sell the leveling kits. Just search the internet for "Dodge Leveling Kit" and you will get more pages than you care to look at. Usually run about $150 a set.

kry226
02-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by rossn2
Okay, I just ordered the BGF 31570R17's thru the AAFES web site (ordertire.com)...including shipping and handling to my door is $561.00...Then the post AAFEES Tire shop will mount them and give me a road hazard warranty, which meets Tire Racks, today price of $123. The normal price for the tire, if you walked into the AAFES Tire Shop and asked is $200. It'll be another $18 per tire for lifetime mount/balance/rotation/road hazard thru AAFES. I have a bad habit of getting Mesquite thorns into my sidewalls everytime I go hunting here in Texas (every other month or so), so the $18 to me is a good deal and now I'll have a tire shop locally that will handle everything...

If you order the tires from TIRE RACK, who will honor any road hazard warranty that you purchase? I couldn't find anyone who would honor the road hazard locally, because you were ordering the tires off the Internet from Tire Rack, which is nothing but a big warehouse...

Just food for thought for any military or retired types around having run into this problem....

Website and 1800 number: http://www.ordertire.com/shop/shop-main.cfm

How did you get them to price-match online? Army boy wants to know. Thanks.:cool:

rossn2
02-04-2004, 07:27 AM
When you navigate to the AAFEES homepage and the automotive and tire section, the url will change to ORDERTIRE.com. I called the 1800-842-4135 number and told the lady, very friendly and helpful, that I was trying to buy the BFG 31570R17's and that TIRERACK has them for $123.00. SHe said they would match the price. So, I don't know if they surf the internet for the different sites or what....And, if you have an AAFEES credit card, I believe you can get free shipping to your house too. Don't quote my on that, free shipping may only apply to 16" and below tires....
ANyhow, I called the on post AAFEES Tire shop and they said "YES" they will mount/balance/road hazard etc for $18. Apparently, on posts' tire shops have contracts with local tire dealers and have to go by the local price, whereas ordertire.com is the contracting office for the automotive division of AAFEES and that's why they matched tireracks price. Don't know if I'm making any sense or not...

Oh, stopped by local Dodge dealer and they said no problem reprogramming ECM for me for larger tires...$32.50 for 30 min work.

Hopefully they won't rub and I won't have to install the 2"leveling kit (found on internet for $129.00 if needed).

So good luck....

Gary C
02-04-2004, 07:49 AM
315's on mine no rubbing yet, lowered the back 2.5 inches,,,,,,I got them siped and makes the 4x4 act like a 4x2 in the wet or frozen conditions. trucks level and fits barely into the garage.

rossn2
02-04-2004, 08:23 AM
"315's on mine no rubbing yet, lowered the back 2.5 inches,,,,,,I got them siped and makes the 4x4 act like a 4x2 in the wet or frozen conditions. trucks level and fits barely into the garage."

Pardon the ignorance, but I don't know what "Siped" means and how did you/why did you lower the back end?

Thanks

diirk
02-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Rossn2:
A sipe is a small cut in the tire tread running from one side to the other. This is done around the entire tire, though usually only through the footprint of the tire. The sipe creates extra traction both on and off road, wet and dry. Reduces stopping distance. Reduces road noise. Helps tire last longer. Siping was originally done on Semi's but is getting more popular with the off-road crowd.

It seems that those folks that are lowering their back end are removing a spacer block that resides between the leaf spring and spring pad.

diirk

rossn2
02-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Okay, where did you get it done?

Would like to know expected tire life of the 315's? Has anyone had them on for a while?

Gary C
02-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Rossn2,,,,,,,Discount Tire $7 a tire.
On the H2's they are getting 50,000 miles, more of course if siped........

Diirk, correct and thanks

Rossn2,,,, the trucks sits level, which I love,,,,,,LOWERED you say, because if not lowered no garage access.......misses by less than and inch...........

:D

TexasZach
02-04-2004, 09:59 PM
I need a clarification on this, just so I'm clear....

#1 Putting 315's on a stock front suspension with the factory wheels is a roll of the dice, on some trucks they rub, others they don't, correct?

#2 Aftermarket wheels with 315's, which will stick further out due to less backspacing, will cure the rubbing problem OR are do they insure the requirement of 2" coil spring spacers to prevent rubbing?

:confused:

Grizzel
02-05-2004, 01:33 AM
I started reading this post drooling with anticipation that I could put 315's on my stock 17 chrome clad rims....then towards the end there I am drying up with the fact I need a 2" leveling kit or lowering kit, can't pull my 5er and might have problems with rubbing?!?!?! Okay,,,Hit me....what did I miss? (Scratchin' my head)

Griz

AK RAM
02-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Naaa, not that big of a deal. The load rating of the 315s is 3195 lbs at 50psi. Not sure what my stock Michelins were but I believe they are within 100 lbs of each other if I remember correctly, which is nothing in the big scheme of things unless your 5er was already borderline too heavy for your stock tires. Now that you know their max load rating, you can do the math and see if they will work for you.

On the rubbing thing, DC builds these front ends to be straight and true, within say plus or minus 1 inch as an example. If you are the lucky owner of a front end that is on the outside of that plus or minus tolerance, then you will have a little rub. Nothing wrong with your front end mind you because it is still within tolerances. Hence why some have rub and some don’t. I am the proud owner of a really straight front end….no rub, however this will probably change as the miles rack up and things start to get sloppy.

On the leveling kit thing, this is just an easy fix for the folks that do have a little rub or those that are bothered by the nose down (not level) appearance that DC gave this truck and want to “level” it out. Also, for those that do have rub, it will only be at full steering wheel lock while going real slow maneuvering around in parking lots and such, so if you have it, you could just be conscious of the fact that if you lock the steering wheel backing the 5er you may have a little rub…and just don’t lock the steering wheel if possible. A little rub every now and then is not going to hurt anything, but if you found out you had considerable rub every time you tried to park at Wall Mart, well then you would probably want to clamp on a leveling kit. The 2 inch leveling kits go for about $150 and clamp on with simple hand tools from what I’ve seen.

Hope that sets your mind at ease. Check out my member’s pics, page 2, if you haven’t already. The 315s really do give the truck a beefy looking stance. They look sharp.

Mike67RS
02-05-2004, 09:51 AM
You will be happy with the 315's. I had no rub prior to the leveling kit. The main reason I added it was for appearence.

rossn2
02-05-2004, 11:23 AM
315's came in last night, only 1 day UPS from Shreveport, and went down and had them mounted at on post AAFEES. This morning went to Dodge Dealer and had them set the "PINION FACTOR" for the 315's. The Revolutions per mile at 45mph is 601 for these tires and I have them set at 45psi all way round. I immediately noticed that when at 65mph tach is just under 1800, at 40-43mph tach is around 1100 rpm and engine is lugging a little, so I'll have to adjust and drop into 5th gear, which I did and it rev'd up to 1400-1500rpms. I noticed a little rub this morning going into a parking spot, but think it may be the tire hitting the mudflaps, that are mounted to the Bushwacker Street Flares. Yes, the nose is still down, but man these tires look sweet. I also noticed at atound 65mph I have a little steering wheel vibration/shimmy...it may be that the tires aren't warmed up yet (only 5-6 miles)..or not balanced correctly. I'm heading south texas tomorrow and will run for 5-6 hours...so will see then how it responds and take back to tire shop for rebalance or new tire if needed. Gotta love that road hazard/balance/rotation warranty you can get through AAFEES...It was too dark and rainy last night to take pics...maybe try tonight before dark and post in my gallery...

oh the 2" leveling kit is just a spacer that fitson top of the front coil springs. You have to remove wheels, remove shocks, drop the coil spring out to install them. You may have to remove one of the swing arms to get the "A" arm to go low enough to get the coil out and back in...and you may or may not need an alignment afterwards, but just have it checked to be sure...No, I do not have the 2" leveling kit on at this time...Wife is ****** enough I bought new tires for a new truck

[laugh] [laugh]

rossn2
02-05-2004, 08:54 PM
posted pics of 315's installed....Went back to AAFEES Tire shop for vibration at highway...I noticed the guy was rechecking and rebalancing all 4 wheels. He would take the tire/wheels off the balancing machine after they were balanced, put them back on and they would be off. To make a long story short, I advised him that his tire balancing machine couldn't handle the 315's (you could smell the machine warming up)... So, they agreed they couldn't balance the tires and are outsourcing me to local Goodyear Dealer who specialized in truck tires...So first thing tomorrow guess where I'll be...This is getting frustrating.