3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket antifreeze

So I read an article in a recent pop mechanics about aftermarket antifreeze. So based on what's available out there what brand is the match for our trucks? I have a 2003 if that makes any difference.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they need a HOAT type coolant.
The third generation Dodge Ram specs. a (Glysantin) G-05 HOAT coolant. At the present time, there are four G0-5 HOAT coolants available. All of which are suitable for use in the Dodge Ram CTD.The following list contains those coolants:

Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered

Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A

Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002

Valvoline Zerex G-05 Hoat -

Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051. NAPA carries all of the Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Is this data in the owners manual? I work for MB, so if that stuff is approved, free coolant for me!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM

I just flushed and refilled mine with the Zerex G-05. Bought it at a local parts store for $15 a gallon because they were the only ones that carried it.

I used about 14 gallons of distilled water flushing the system (drain, refill, start engine, bring it up to temp, drain, refill, etc.)

Like another guy posted on here, if you flush it good with distilled water make sure you add at least 3.5 gallons of anti-freeze to keep your 50/50 mixture right.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tryNto
they need a HOAT type coolant.
The third generation Dodge Ram specs. a (Glysantin) G-05 HOAT coolant. At the present time, there are four G0-5 HOAT coolants available. All of which are suitable for use in the Dodge Ram CTD.The following list contains those coolants:

Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered

Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A

Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002

Valvoline Zerex G-05 Hoat -

Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051. NAPA carries all of the Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you.
I could not have said it better myself!..... Oh wait, I did . Thanks for posting this. At the present time there are no other G-05 equivalent coolants marketed other than the four coolants mentioned above.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you did and we appreciate the info...
Next time I will Quote you...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Question from a dummy:

Why do the CTDs need this specific coolant? I just poured about a gallon of regular off-the-shelf coolant into my truck's reservoir to bring it up to full, because I had it on hand. Is this something I am going to have to flush out (truck is long out of warranty)?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Good question. From my understanding the HOAT type coolant does not mix with off the shelf green antifreeze. I did a complete flush and am using the green stuff now. Temps are normal - Someone please advise if this is detrimental and if so what could happen by running the green.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM

thenrie

Glysantin G 05 HOAT is a coolant that utilizes ethylene glycol as it's base fluid. Glysantin G 05 is free of amines and phosphates. It contains a robust blend of inhibitors designed to give a high degree of corrosion protection to engine components. Originally developed to work well with both diesel and gasoline engines, this coolant uses a low-silicate formula. It also contains benzoate and borate. Due to its nitrite content this product is especially recommended for the use in diesel engines. The G-05 formulation has been proven for many years in the european automotive market.
Prior to being adopted by Chrysler and Ford in 2001 and 2002 respectively, each manufacturer peformed extensive coolant studies. The results of these performance studies concluded that G-05 as the best coolant available.

You did not indicate the type of coolant that you purchased; however, I do not recommend using the "all makes all models" OAT formulated coolants touted as a "universal coolant" or any other non approved formulation in a vehicle factory filled with HOAT G-05 coolant. Most coolant blends are based on carefully balanced mixtures of various corrosion inhibitors;therefore, mixing coolants with different inhibitor packages can lead to a loss of corrosion protection. In addition,the dilution/mixing with non-equivalent coolants will significantly reduce or eliminate the extended life properties. For example, If you mix a 5 year/ 150,000 mile HOAT coolant with an IAT 2year/36000 mile coolant, you must replace the coolant at the 2 year 36.000 mile interval. Most importantly, the mixing of G0-5 HOAT and other formulations may result in unwanted compatability issues.

What may be some of the consequences of using the wrong coolant?
1). Reduced corrosion protection of cooling system components
2). Incompatibility with engine gasket materials
3). Corrosive attack of aluminum components
4). Cylinder wall cavitation and engine block damage in diesel engines
5). Potential water pump issues

The consequences related to the use of non-approved "universal" coolants may not arise immediately, but may occur over longer periods of time due to additive compatibility issues. I recommend you flush the coolant as demonstrated by AH64ID. I have attached the link for your review.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=coolant+flush

Last edited by Dr.Dizzle; 07-28-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Excellent information and great link. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM

wow great responses. Zerex I thought was the right one. I need to do 50 50 right?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM

Yes. And in order to make it a 50/50 mix you must fill the system with 3.7 gallons of G-05 concentrate as noted in the coolant flush link.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Great info, I think someone works for Dodge.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Just thought I'd post info I got Saturday from Dodge. I was buying lube oils from them, among other parts, and asked about coolant. They knew nothing about any special coolant.

The service man looked up my truck in the computer. It specified either their 3-year green or their 5-year red coolant. There was nothing about any particular rating and no information cautioning against the use of anything else. I mentioned information from this thread, so the guy looked up TSBs and any other information about my truck's cooling system. The only TSB was a cancellation of a previous TSB on which there was no further information. I took a bottle of their 5-year red stuff and read the whole label. I found nothing about any G-05 HOAT rating, or any rating of any kind. Since the red 5-year stuff was about $25/gal, and I couldn't recall exactly how much I needed, from info on this thread, I decided to wait.

I would like to know the source of the information regarding the G-05 HOAT ratings and where it says our trucks require it. Where can I find that? I have no problem putting the best I can get in my truck if it makes a difference, but I make it a point to avoid paying extra for McDonald's secret sauce, when I can get Thousand Island dressing for much less.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM

As per your request, I am providing information regarding the specification of a HOAT formulated coolant. This information is documented in your Ram Truck Diesel Owners Manual. The 2003 manual provides cooling system maintenance information on pages 308 through 314. Please refer to your (2005) manual as the pages referenced may be different. In addition as a second source, this information can be located in the Dodge Ram DR Service Manual. I cite the following information as per the Dodge Ram DR Service Manual:

DR LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE 0 - 3

CAUTION: Use of Propylene Glycol based coolants
is not recommended, as they provide less freeze
protection and less corrosion protection.
The cooling system is designed around the coolant.
The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in
the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and
engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the
radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the
heat to the air.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder
heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion
protection. Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent
ethylene glycol base coolant with organic corrosion
inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic
Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant
offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when
mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled
water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it
loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush,
and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

CAUTION: MoparT Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be
mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of
coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other
HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not
be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and
decreased corrosion protection.

0 - 4 LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE

COOLANT SELECTION AND ADDITIVES
NOTE: Refer to the vehicle’s coolant bottle to identify
HOAT or Non-HOAT coolant. Non-HOAT coolant
is green in color.