PDA

View Full Version : 6.7 High performance? Tell me what the dealer won't.

Camarogenius
04-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm the "one percent" in the truck world. (read my sig). I am planning on "Uptrucking" to one of the 5500 series w/ the 6.7 and a manual tranny.
I realize that I have a year to wait, since the quad cab 5500's won't hit the market until spring, '08, but my question is about high performance upgrades for the 6.7.
What's available, and what's in the works? What kind of numbers can you get out of them?
What are the down sides to the 6.7? On another board I belong to, I read doom and gloom over the 6.7's siamesed cylinders, and how they're gonna cause over heating, and higher egt's. Truth?

Forrest Nearing
04-01-2007, 09:11 AM
no truth. they are semi-siamesed w/ water still flowing around them. all the strength without any cooling problems

EMD-RUN8
04-01-2007, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't worry at all about the siamesed cylinders. This engine has already been around several years haulin' more weight than most any of us will ever see. Also, I'd take a REAL hard look at the Aisin automatic. It is a fine piece, should easily outperform a G56 and have a taller overdrive to boot. It is not a "new" transmission and already has a proven track record behind it as well. I've driven a 6.7/Aisin combo 3500 Regular CC and it was VERY impressive! You owe it to yourself to at least try one.

Camarogenius
04-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I just don't like automatic transmissions. I don't think an auto will ever equal a manual in fuel mileage, or durability.

qzilla
04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I am extremely impressed with the new 6spd auto tranny. The strategy for shifting, downshifting and converter lock up is perfect and on my best day I do not think I could improve it!

I am very, very pleased with the auto and I think you will be too!

rstone
04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
qzilla have yall work on anything for the new 6.7

qzilla
04-03-2007, 01:38 PM
The Commander works on them but, we have not released the update as we are also adding the 6.4L to it at the same time. SHould be up later this week.

rstone
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
qzilla is there going to be a way to pull egt off the ecm like the boost. It look like there a probe going in to the manifold just wondering.

Danderson
04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I just don't like automatic transmissions. I don't think an auto will ever equal a manual in fuel mileage, or durability.

This Aisen will,try 'em both. If I didn't need the Mex.diesel compatability,I'd of ordered a C&C '07.5 auto. Aluminum flatbed and my popup would have been nice. I do like this '07 though.

Gottlos
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
We got our first 6.7 in two days ago. Holly hell what a performer. Once the turbo get fully rapped up the truck takes as fast if not faster than the HEMI. The only thing I didn't like was the shifting of the new 6spd. auto. I drive a 4spd. daily and the shift points felt weird. The upshifts were fine the down shifts were just different. Another strange thing is to pull the shift lever down for low and have it stop at drive. I do like the manual shift switch on the shift lever though.

Don't tell the boss I lit up the tires on the truck a couple of times.[nonono]

qzilla
04-03-2007, 02:46 PM
qzilla is there going to be a way to pull egt off the ecm like the boost. It look like there a probe going in to the manifold just wondering.

That probe is for the EGR system and the way it is setup up you would not consistantly get what you want out of the probe in my opinion. It does not have a high importance level and I do not think it is updating fast enough or often enough to be used for a true EGT gauge.

We are still playing with it though and that would be flat out awesome if we could use it!

Camarogenius
04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I am extremely impressed with the new 6spd auto tranny. The strategy for shifting, downshifting and converter lock up is perfect and on my best day I do not think I could improve it!

I am very, very pleased with the auto and I think you will be too!
That may be. If you prefer automatics, that's fine. I just like having a stick and a clutch. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd actually "want" to drive an automatic. I like shifting.

Enough about slush boxes already!!! What kind of numbers are they going to be able to squeeze out of the 6.7?

Luke S
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I am a dealer. I have driven and pulled with 6.7/Aisins and have been very impressed. Hauled two one ton quad cab duallys on our 48' stepdeck behind a 6.7/Aisin and it performed better than any combo I have owned to date, and I have had them all, 5.9/G56/NV5600/NV4500/48re/47re/getrag. Aftermarket performance means little to me, I just want longterm relaibility. The Aisin and the exhaust brake are a hell of a combo to beat, I think it'll be the new standard.

The Aisin will surely hold together as good or better than your NV4500.

grantx5
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
You always put things in perspective Luke. [coffee]

Luke S
04-03-2007, 06:00 PM
I realize that I have a year to wait, since the quad cab 5500's won't hit the market until spring, '08

Production starts on those July 31st 2007. They'll be hitting lots by late august into september.

96_12V
04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
That may be. If you prefer automatics, that's fine. I just like having a stick and a clutch. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd actually "want" to drive an automatic. I like shifting.

Enough about slush boxes already!!! What kind of numbers are they going to be able to squeeze out of the 6.7?

The issue here is, and Auto is an Auto is an Auto...some folks just don't want to drive one, they prefer shifting manually usuing a real clutch pedal. I'm one of those.

As for upgrades, there are federally-mandated emissions controls in place, and since it cost Cummins $$$$ to get them there, it's going to void your warranty and likely get you in some hot federal water if you do much to it at all. Ask the Powerstroke fans who are miffed that they can't even cut off and replace their ventilated exhaust tip on a 6.4! I'm sure there will be options, but a lot of it's going to have to go under the radar, somehow...

Camarogenius
04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
As far as D/C is concerned, My warrantee will be toilet paper as soon as I put the sticker on the door that says "GCVW 45,000".

WildBill
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Maybe you should buy a real truck for towing all that weight, they have lots of torque stock, and you can shift even more!

RobG
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I chose a stick because so far the automatics have all been crap, even the 48RE in my 2003. I do like shifting, but on a truck I would prefer a GOOD auto. My dream truck will be a 2009 or 2010 RAM 4500 with the Aisin. Will I get it? Maybe, maybe not. For now my focus is paying off the one I just bought yesterday. If it turns out to be a good truck (unlike my 2003), it'll stick around for a long time.

Rob

Dargo
04-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I can't imagine a scenario where I'd actually "want" to drive an automatic. I like shifting.

Must be an age thing. Somewhere back in the 70's I'd had more than my share of manual shifting. I'd almost take a hand crank start out the front than a hog leg, but different strokes etc.

billindenver
04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I see the guys point. I like shifting too. On the track, heel toe downshifting when entering a 90mph turn..sure that is just fun. On the street? In a truck that is pulling that race car? Um..no, that gets in the way of my coffee grabbin hand.[nonono] [coffee]

Bill

Dargo
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Maybe I shouldn't give away my age so much. [redface]

Now, if I can just get some good information on how that new 6.7 is going to be; especially compared to how that new 6.4 in the Ford is going to be... Gees, what's a guy to do?! My old Dodge pulls harder than any of the new offerings. I like the Ford looks and ride the best, but I sure can't complain even a little about the Cummins I have now, and really can't even complain about the old Dodge. I guess I'm gonna be a chicken and just sit back and see how other guys like the new trucks before I make any move.

Road Traveler
04-07-2007, 03:46 AM
The thing I like about a manuel tranny is it is super easy to work on! If you have been in one you have been in all of them! An auto is a little different and can get a little costly! I would love to have an auto tranny but I just worry about the reliability in pulling large heavy loads all the time! I have done a clutch job on the road in my travels around the country in now time. With an auto I would probably still be sitting there wonderin what the heck to do next.

Maybe in a few more years I can get an auto they seem to be getting better and better but not just yet for me.

RobG
04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I have the same issue... I want a truck I can keep a LONG time and not worry about a major repair. EVERY automatic transmission will eventually fail. A good manual transmission, as long as you change the fluid every 50k or so and don't bang on it too hard, will hold up for much longer.

I'll admit I was impressed with the durability of the 48RE in my 2003, particularly since I fried a built 47RE in my 1996 in only 5000 miles. But I'm going back to a stick because the computer problems in my 03 caused too many transmission problems... it wasn't the tranny's fault itself, it was the computer that wouldn't tell it to lock up the TC.

Rob

qzilla
04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Maybe I shouldn't give away my age so much. [redface]

Now, if I can just get some good information on how that new 6.7 is going to be; especially compared to how that new 6.4 in the Ford is going to be... Gees, what's a guy to do?! My old Dodge pulls harder than any of the new offerings. I like the Ford looks and ride the best, but I sure can't complain even a little about the Cummins I have now, and really can't even complain about the old Dodge. I guess I'm gonna be a chicken and just sit back and see how other guys like the new trucks before I make any move.

You won't like the fuel mileage of the ne 6.4L. My wife is averaging about 11.1 in hers.

No arms rests on the seats, rides like a cob!

It runs good and feels stronger than our 6.7L but, from a 50mph punch the Dodge gets about 1.5 truck lengths on it.

Don't get me wrong, they are sexy looking and so is the interior but........I think with the MegaCab Ford is in deep.......

Oh and the new tranny in the 6.7L appears to be WAY better than the torqueshift!

Camarogenius
04-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm.
So, let's review. I asked a question about the 6.7 engine, and it turns into a love-fest for slushboxes.
So, if I want to know about 6.7 performance, do I need to ask a tranny question?
[dummy]

texbeer2
04-08-2007, 08:33 PM
It seems to work out that way sometimes. HaHa

Road Traveler
04-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.
So, let's review. I asked a question about the 6.7 engine, and it turns into a love-fest for slushboxes.
So, if I want to know about 6.7 performance, do I need to ask a tranny question?
[dummy]

No you have to keep the rumor going that!!!!!!! get ready!!!!

FORD OWNS CUMMINS!!!!!!!!!!

That will get everyone going and all made and you will have everyones attention and you are good to ask the question!!!

Sorry to get it off track thats about the way it goes then towards the end we seem to get back on topic!!

TexasCTD
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Isn't the G56 manual still available in the 6.7?? This thread turned into a love/hate auto tranny thread.......but if you don't like them....can't you just buy a G56?[dummy]

FATCAT
04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
... Also, I'd take a REAL hard look at the Aisin automatic. It is a fine piece, should easily outperform a G56 and have a taller overdrive to boot. It is not a "new" transmission and already has a proven track record behind it as well. I've driven a 6.7/Aisin combo 3500 Regular CC and it was VERY impressive! You owe it to yourself to at least try one.

If the automatic "outperforms" the G56, then you have just confirmed that the Dodge put a car manual tranny behind a truck engine. The G56 was the wrong tranny from the beginning. NO AUTOMATIC TRANNY should outperform a manual when comparing apples-to-apples. An Eaton 7 or 9 speed should be the option for these trucks, not a sub-compact car manual tranny.

I would hope the new 6.7L engine can mate with the "real" manual trannies from Eaton. I would expect to see people swaping out the G56 for even a rebuilt Eaton, to give buyers a real towing machine.

bigsnakebud
04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Had to break in on this, the rumor is Ford also owns Allison[laugh] . Who knew?
Fred

Road Traveler
04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
If the automatic "outperforms" the G56, then you have just confirmed that the Dodge put a car manual tranny behind a truck engine. The G56 was the wrong tranny from the beginning. NO AUTOMATIC TRANNY should outperform a manual when comparing apples-to-apples. An Eaton 7 or 9 speed should be the option for these trucks, not a sub-compact car manual tranny.

I would hope the new 6.7L engine can mate with the "real" manual trannies from Eaton. I would expect to see people swaping out the G56 for even a rebuilt Eaton, to give buyers a real towing machine.

Yeah that is what I want!! I have been looking to do that!! I would love a 7spd something to get the RPM's down in it. I am tired of these auto's turning low revs and getting better milage!

Road Traveler
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Had to break in on this, the rumor is Ford also owns Allison[laugh] . Who knew?
Fred

Oh crap well thats not good because didn't Allison just buy Honda which was planning to sell to KIA???[duhhh]

bigsnakebud
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Fatcat
Why can't an auto be better than a slush box. The computer can think faster and make more dicisions in a milisecond than my old brain can plus it can interact with the ecm which thanks I cannot. Will it make mistakes sure, would I make mistakes, you bet!
Fred

Deezle1
04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Actually Allison is on the auction block...now that you mention Allison.

I think it was just a matter of time for dodge to get a super tranny behind te cummins. just too bad it took so long. im a die hard dodge cummins boy, but ill admit, our autos have been pathetic up untill now.\

But to get back on topic, the problem wont be getting performance out of the engine, it will be stopping the egr and DPF from clogging, and or setting a sensor off. I beleive if one could bypass the silly emissions stuff this engine has MASSIVE potential. 500 horse will be a programmer, 700 a stack, a different turbo, and tranny programming...and beyond is the fuel system!

I know we are the dodge cummins boys, but the fellas at Elite Diesel that specialize in the 6.0 powerjunk have already had a 6.4 powerstroke apart to compare older parts to newer, and the Peizo injectors are a work of art compared to injectors of the past...really sweet.

Dominick

Road Traveler
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Well now that we have gotten way way off topic let me ask mine. Is there anyway to put a 7spd in our truck? Or put like an extra overdrive on the tailshaft like you could in the old hot rod days?

FATCAT
04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Fatcat
Why can't an auto be better than a slush box. The computer can think faster and make more dicisions in a milisecond than my old brain can plus it can interact with the ecm which thanks I cannot. Will it make mistakes sure, would I make mistakes, you bet!
Fred

The key word in your post is "computer" annother electronic gizzmo that will brake. No way do I want a computer controling my transmission. Bad enought to have one controling the engine and stuff. If you know how to drive a manual, you'll do drive a truck a million time better than a au-toe-matic can. You'r connected to the truck, you can feel the engine. Manuals traditionally hold up far better than automatics and get better mileage.

If you want to yap on the phone and swill you coffee while driving then get a auto, if you want to control your truck and not visa-versa, get a manual.

Its just unfortunate that DC put such a weak manual tranny behind the new engine.

96_12V
04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
If you want to yap on the phone and swill you coffee while driving then get a auto, if you want to control your truck and not visa-versa, get a manual.

Its just unfortunate that DC put such a weak manual tranny behind the new engine.

Where have you gotten your info on this transmission...? More to the point, have you actually driven one...? They are excellent to drive.

They are not from a sub-compact, much more likely a design shared with the european-truck sector of Mercedies-Benz. What's so wrong with them anyway...? After some initial bugs were sorted out, I've really heard no complaints. I will purchase a G56-equipped truck next time around.

Road Traveler
04-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Where have you gotten your info on this transmission...? More to the point, have you actually driven one...? They are excellent to drive.

They are not from a sub-compact, much more likely a design shared with the european-truck sector of Mercedies-Benz. What's so wrong with them anyway...? After some initial bugs were sorted out, I've really heard no complaints. I will purchase a G56-equipped truck next time around.

Yeah the G56 is the real deal!! There are tons of differences in it versus the T-56!

Just pull the shifter out of a G56 and you will see they are a real tranny. Solid machined base with ball bearings in it. They can take the abuse and that is why they shift like they do they are a med duty stle tranny! I just wish it had one more gear. I have over 250K on mine and it has pulled way way to heavy of loads and have never had a prob yet!

FATCAT
04-10-2007, 04:55 AM

The info I refer to about the G56 being weak is from Mercedes themselves. The do not put the G56 in any of their trucks that make over 500 lbft torque. Also, another dead give away is the derating of the new engine power if a manual is behind it.
These should be nothing less than a manual tranny that can hold a MINUMUM of 860 lbft. behind this engine.

Yes I did drive one about 2 years ago, but of course it was an empty truck so it did fine, slow by fine.

Luke S
04-10-2007, 09:18 AM
The info I refer to about the G56 being weak is from Mercedes themselves. The do not put the G56 in any of their trucks that make over 500 lbft torque. Also, another dead give away is the derating of the new engine power if a manual is behind it.
These should be nothing less than a manual tranny that can hold a MINUMUM of 860 lbft. behind this engine.

Yes I did drive one about 2 years ago, but of course it was an empty truck so it did fine, slow by fine.

The derating of the new 6.7 when hooked to the G56 is to save the clutch, not the transmission. Why should they have to design something to hold a "minumum of 860 lb-ft of torque"? We do not need that much power in a truck of this size. You drove one two years ago and so you can pass judgement that G56's are all junk? The G56 is far and away a better transmission than any of those growling old New Venture transmissions, all we do is work on those things.

I swear, all Dodge guys on the internet are nothing but a bunch of complainers. The trucks we are selling now are 10 times the truck we sold in the 90's and all everbody does is complain. Everytime we make an improvement it is not good enough, or we should have stuck with the old technology, all though it's not as bad over here as on TDR, I can't even stand to read over there for all the complaining.

RAMRODD
04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
[quote=Luke S;1452588]The derating of the new 6.7 when hooked to the G56 is to save the clutch, not the transmission. Why should they have to design something to hold a "minumum of 860 lb-ft of torque"? We do not need that much power in a truck of this size.

What is wrong with a over built truck?? To me that means long term reliability. I am willing to pay more for a better stock clutch [coffee]
Remember Guys The Superduty manual is a Eaton. Those manuals realy are junk!!

Luke S
04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Remember Guys The Superduty manual is a Eaton. Those manuals realy are junk!!

No it's not, the Ford super duty's use manual transmissions made by the ZF company, GM used to use the same one before they discontinued manual transmsissions in HD pick-ups.

96_12V
04-10-2007, 11:49 AM
No it's not, the Ford super duty's use manual transmissions made by the ZF company, GM used to use the same one before they discontinued manual transmsissions in HD pick-ups.

And this, sadly, may be the next choice for our trucks - if D-C really gets too many compalints, they may just drop manuals altogether for the HD truck. [duhhh] I don't mean to start a conflict, but if someone really has a legitimate complaint, perhaps they could offer sources for thier info.

As to the original question, it's probably still too early to tell if and when performance upgrads for the 6.7L will be legal or avalible readily. Your dealer probalby won't tell you, since they cannot stand behind aftermarket parts they don't have installed (such as dump bodies, snowplows, etc that are contracted through a dealer.)

TexasCTD
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I swear, all Dodge guys on the internet are nothing but a bunch of complainers. The trucks we are selling now are 10 times the truck we sold in the 90's and all everbody does is complain. Everytime we make an improvement it is not good enough, or we should have stuck with the old technology, all though it's not as bad over here as on TDR, I can't even stand to read over there for all the complaining.

I think that hit the nail on the head!!!!!!![director] We, collectively, are a bunch of whiners.........no doubt about it. Some more than others though.[dummy]

Also, I have driven some G56 trucks and I was very impressed with their shifting. Almost, sports car like....even for a big heavy truck. I don't read about many failures.

RobG
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
If manual transmissions are dropped it will be because of emissions reasons or supplier/warranty issues. I read a year or two ago in Car & Driver that real manual transmissions are on their way out because they can't be "controlled" like an automatic, to ensure proper emissions compliance. That's why those slick new sequential manuals will end up being the new norm, since they have an "automatic" mode.

The more I read about how well the G56 shifts, the more eager I am to get my truck. I pick it up next Sunday in Dallas. Can't wait!!

You're right about the complainers, though. I remember back when I was actually on TDR, right after getting my 2003 (as a leftover with a hefty rebate), I was reading about how people were freaking out about the pending change in 2004.5, fearing the addition of EGR and stuff, so people were scrambling to get their orders in and ensure that they didn't get it.

Then what happens? No EGR shows up... instead, some really nice engine revisions, and a big increase in power and torque. I thought it was pretty darn funny.

Rob

PanteraGSTK
04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
You won't like the fuel mileage of the ne 6.4L. My wife is averaging about 11.1 in hers.

No arms rests on the seats, rides like a cob!

It runs good and feels stronger than our 6.7L but, from a 50mph punch the Dodge gets about 1.5 truck lengths on it.

Don't get me wrong, they are sexy looking and so is the interior but........I think with the MegaCab Ford is in deep.......

Oh and the new tranny in the 6.7L appears to be WAY better than the torqueshift!

Forgot to add that whole flamethrower thing huh? "Roast a turkey in three minutes with the all new $55,000 ford flame cooker. It won't go down the road, but it will cook your food while you wait for the tow truck!"

This message is not inteded to be taken seriously. Everybody knows not to buy fords...

Road Traveler
04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey LUKE If I change my clutch in the G56 tranny is there anyway to crank the power back up in the 6.7?

96_12V
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
The more I read about how well the G56 shifts, the more eager I am to get my truck. I pick it up next Sunday in Dallas. Can't wait!!

Rob

You're going to like how it shifts...! [guitar] :cool:

duckbill
04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
The derating of the new 6.7 when hooked to the G56 is to save the clutch, not the transmission. Why should they have to design something to hold a "minumum of 860 lb-ft of torque"? We do not need that much power in a truck of this size. You drove one two years ago and so you can pass judgement that G56's are all junk? The G56 is far and away a better transmission than any of those growling old New Venture transmissions, all we do is work on those things.

Luke, you are only partially right i.e. the complainers. Notice how they don't own what they complain about?????? You see Luke, all the complainers are out of work engineers, that if they had jobs would build better trucks. We wouldn't need 3500's because all the 2500's would come standard with the
C15 Cat with 6 turbos, 18 speed double overdrive, front and rear lockers and still get 50 mpg and have a million mile warranty, regardless of what mods they do.

Road Traveler
04-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Luke, you are only partially right i.e. the complainers. Notice how they don't own what they complain about?????? You see Luke, all the complainers are out of work engineers, that if they had jobs would build better trucks. We wouldn't need 3500's because all the 2500's would come standard with the
C15 Cat with 6 turbos, 18 speed double overdrive, front and rear lockers and still get 50 mpg and have a million mile warranty, regardless of what mods they do.

Why stop at the C15?? Go for the 3612 quad turbo that baby makes over 1,000 hp per hole and has 12 holes to do it in!! or the 3520 that has 20 cylinders to get the job done!!!!

Camarogenius
04-11-2007, 06:03 AM
What!?!?!?!?!? As if anything made by Caterpillar is worth putting under a hood.[laugh] I despise Caterpillar engines. They get crappy fuel mileage, and the parts are way too expensive.
But at any rate, this topic is about transmissions. WAIT!! No it's not!! Awww, to hell with it. I've forgotten what this topic was supposed to be about!![laugh]

I would seriously like to have an Eaton road ranger 9 over in one of these, but if they did, either the cab would be about a foot higher, or there wouldn't be a floorboard.

tbarbee1
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
A friend of mine has the 6.7 Aisins combo it lugs down to about 1100RPMS then downshifts and takes off like a rocket not good pulling a 19000# backhoe he is extremely unhappy I too am a fan of shifting it eliminates a few electronic variables.

99globalwarmer
04-15-2007, 08:21 PM
hey guys my dad bought a third gen a while ago and he knows the owner of the cummins dragster and the 6.7 engine is in his new dragster and it has a ton of stuff done to it. i was wondering if you guys know if you canbuy any of this stuff yet. ats twin turbos,ported and poished head, special camshaft and valve springs, oringed head with copper head gasket, stock pistons rods,block,crank, custom duel injection pumps, and suposibly edge,superchips and racepak are keeping all this suff under wraps, there isnt much more on it but i heard it runs really good and spins some pretty serious rpms. just thought i would give you 6.7 guys a heads up since i heard nothing can be done to these trucks but it seems to have been proven wrong.

Crimedog
04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine has the 6.7 Aisins combo it lugs down to about 1100RPMS then downshifts and takes off like a rocket not good pulling a 19000# backhoe he is extremely unhappy I too am a fan of shifting it eliminates a few electronic variables.

I'm curious, on the new trucks can we not downshift manually? Either by just pulling the lever down or putting it into tow/haul mode, or don't the new ones have the push button up or down shift?

I always like to say, "you drive the truck, don't let the truck drive you." This goes for manuals and autos. Learn the characteristics of your truck and learn how to make it perform how you want it to.

eb290
04-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Sounds like he is running in drive and not tow/haul or overdrive off. If he is pulling a 19k backhoe plus the weight of the trailer, (probably 65 - 7500 lbs) to be honest, he is way overloaded. At the least, he should never run unless it is in the tow/haul mode. Sure hope he has good brakes.

I always like to say, "you drive the truck, don't let the truck drive you." This goes for manuals and autos. Learn the characteristics of your truck and learn how to make it perform how you want it to.

What he said, learn what the truck will do and learn the best way to do it.

morkable
04-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Just a couple of notes,, Ford dosent own cummins. They did at one time, but sold off there shares years ago. And they have never owned Allison, allison has been a gm product from its inception. But allison (the company) is on the block, so it is a guess as to where it will go.

The buzz on the street is that Ford is going to develop its own engine for possibly 2008 (The calendar year) and dispose of the navistar connection.

The 6.7 is the real deal, works real nice, but as of yet there isnt any upgrades available, this is due to all the emmisions that are on the unit.

As for the auto, standard debate,,, I dont think that there is a winner,, I personally wouldnt drive a standard, I pay 50 -60 k for a truck to have creature comforts, I also tow quite heavy, but that isnt for everyone, some people like to pull on that shifter all the time, and have to hold that clutch in at the lights,, just not me

kevin

RobG
04-21-2007, 12:21 PM
What's funny is that Ford is rushing another brand new motor to market, this time without the help of an experienced diesel engineering company (Navistar). So it'll still have problems when it comes out, especially having never been thoroughly tested.

Still, it blows my mind how the last two motors from Navistar can have such problems... unless it's Ford-required changes/additions that are screwing things up.

It also makes it especially sweet that the new 6.7L from Cummins is just as solid as the 5.9 before it.

Rob

J BODY
04-21-2007, 03:37 PM

....they are, and it's has gotten just as bad here. I've all but quit posting although I do drop by to read pm's now and then. It used to be alot more "user friendly" here when people were simply looking for technical advice and left the crying and complaining from reaching their typing fingers.

[laugh] I went to a Cummins corporate training class last year and those techs asked how I could stand to work on those pickups?? They really didn't like to see them come in there shops mostly due to the owners.

Road Traveler
04-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Just a couple of notes,, Ford dosent own cummins. They did at one time, but sold off there shares years ago. And they have never owned Allison, allison has been a gm product from its inception. But allison (the company) is on the block, so it is a guess as to where it will go.

The buzz on the street is that Ford is going to develop its own engine for possibly 2008 (The calendar year) and dispose of the navistar connection.

The 6.7 is the real deal, works real nice, but as of yet there isnt any upgrades available, this is due to all the emmisions that are on the unit.

As for the auto, standard debate,,, I dont think that there is a winner,, I personally wouldnt drive a standard, I pay 50 -60 k for a truck to have creature comforts, I also tow quite heavy, but that isnt for everyone, some people like to pull on that shifter all the time, and have to hold that clutch in at the lights,, just not me

kevin

We know Ford doesn't own cummins! I said that as a joke!

texaspower19
04-23-2007, 01:28 AM
bully dog has somthing out for the 6.7 i believe and im sure quad and others will have something out soon you might be able to go to bullydogs page, and as far as transmission go g56 if i aint broke it will probly last u forever(4th gear launches at 3600rps:o ) that dual mass fly is a different story