1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone have crossover steering with 0-2'' lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone have crossover steering with 0-2'' lift?

I need to replace my draglink but figured i would look into crossover. I have had crossover on an old chevy before but they required 4+'' lift to run it.

Right now i have 1-2'' lift as far as i can tell and would like crossover if it will work, anyone done it with this minimal lift?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meiser on here did it, I have all the pieces except for the DOM tubing and as soon as I have time I am going to put it on.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 PM

How much did it cost you for the pieces? I really dont want to spend the time trying to make something to fit, thats the kicker. I think i will phone northwestfab tomorrow and quiz them if theirs will fit.

Its hard to tell how much lift meiser has though as it looks like he has two added leafs in the front.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 AM

yes but all you need is the room between the top leaf and the bottom of the frame, adding a couple leaves isn't going to change that.

I got the steering arm from mikes jeep parts, and just got the WJ pitman arm Meiser used. also just got some weld in bungs for the dom tubing. I don't plan to do any sort of extra length adjustment, I figure once it is set it should really ever need to be adjusted.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a crossover steering conversion on my truck. Hands down the best
modification thus far. It made the truck feel 10 years newer....

Name:  IMAGE_164.jpg
Views: 7069
Size:  57.7 KB

I made most of the parts myself. My front spring are just a leveling spring the the previous owner built with stock main leaves. Parts I used....

-Borgsen steering shaft
-Moved the factory steering box to the 2wd position on the frame
-The 4wd power steering lines will work just fine with a slight angle readjustment at the fittings.
-Jeep WJ pitman arm, alignment keys removed, retapered to fit a GM TRE
-GM 3/4 ton GM TRE LH
-Custom double threaded adjuster to allow the steering wheel to be centered ( poly performance offers something similar and more compact )
-1.25" solid drag link
-TRE adapter on the other end of the drag link.
-GM 3/4 ton GM TRE LH
-Custom built 1.5" tall 6" center to center steering arm

I had to but a simple bend in the drag link to get everything to clear at full compression.

Note: My truck uses a stock main leaf, but has a few extra leaves to level the front of the truck. If you are running a leaf pack that isn't as tall ( springpad to top of main leaf ) you need to make the steering arm a little less tall. I can get measurements if anyone needs them.

I have been running this system for a few months now, zero issues. I have not had anything rub anywhere, even after a trip to Moab.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Just ordered a crossover kit from Northwest Fab, should be here in ~2-3 weeks.

http://www.northwestfab.com/complete60kit.html

Can you re-use the stock steering shaft? Just needs to be shortened i assume?

BTW, They confirmed you do not need a lift to run their crossover kit.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Those kits look really sweet! I've been dinking with my steering for a week or two now. I did my tie rod ends, drag link and kinpins. Since then I've been adjusting the tie rod every few days to try and get my alignment back. I'm getting close, but I can see how a better steering system would definitely be an all-over improvement.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:04 PM

i sure would like to see more pics of this install, also like to see how the northwest fab stuff works, i have wanted to do this to my truck, always been told i need a 4in lift
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 PM

I will post the install here when i get all the parts:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t289293.html
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM

I know on my 80 chev i had to have 4''+ lift but that is because the steering box is closer to the front of the truck, makes the cross member under the engine in the way. I can see how this one should work ona dodge because the box sits closer to the cab and the drag link can run between the cross member lips.

It also looks like the cross members are different between the two trucks.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM

I wouldn't suggest using the stock steering shaft. Those things are just junk. There are some junkyard options for a joint that can be used to replace the factory coupler at the steering box. I did the borgsen unit with the rag joint at the steering column.

It will be interesting to see how that NWF kit works out.

If your trying to use that kit with almost no lift you might have a hard time. The pitman arm looks to have too much drop and will probably cause the spring to hit the TRE under compression. The steering arm looks like it might be a bit long too also, this causes the drag link to hit the front lip of the engine crossmember. I am also pretty sure that the double bend drag link will be a tight fit at the first bend from the pitman TRE. I am NOT saying that the NWF kit is poor quality, I'm just saying that fitting crossover steering with almost no lift is way harder than it looks.

There are some areas that are less than 1/2-3/8" clearance on the steering system I built. I VERY carefully chose and custom built a lot of the parts so it would fit.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM

They assured me it would work so i will keep everyone informed how it goes. I am pretty sure i have 1'' lift.

I think i will install a borg shaft.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BILTIT
They assured me it would work so i will keep everyone informed how it goes. I am pretty sure i have 1'' lift.

I think i will install a borg shaft.
When do you think you are going to have it installed? I want to order it but am kinda reluctant because no else ever running it.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM

It is on order but they are out of steering arms. They said they should have the next shipment of arms in about 2 weeks, probably alittle sooner. Then ship to me will be a few days so i wont have it until probably 2nd week of july which is my week off. I will install after that, so end of july. If they show up sooner than i will try and do it before i go on holidays.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by archer39
When do you think you are going to have it installed? I want to order it but am kinda reluctant because no else ever running it.
I would wait and see.

Quick Reply: Anyone have crossover steering with 0-2'' lift?