Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos

I have put together some photos of building and Cummins install into my 48 Ford F-6 Car Hauler
Attached Thumbnails 48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-mvc-139f%5B1%5D.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-2-16-2008-10%3B10%3B20-am.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-stretched-frame.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-stretched-w-cummins.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-mocked-up.jpg  

Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM

more photos
Attached Thumbnails 48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-engine-comp.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-gauges.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-f6-cummins-nplate.jpg   48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos-coe4.jpg  
Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 PM

very nice i have 2 chevys about that year im ganna do up
Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Scott, that is one of the coolest conversions ever.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Dave,
I guess I waited too long to nominate myself for the conversion contest you sent me the pm on a couple of weeks ago.

Scott
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's all right, we will have conversions up for the TOM poll again sometime.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Dave,

Funny thing is, before I built that truck, I had NEVER owned a diesel before of any kind. I started building that truck before I found this website and knew very little about diesels. I just felt that a Cummins would be the best engine to put in a truck like I had visualized building by overhearing guys talk about Cummins engines at the restaurants, coffee shops, and places like that. I stumbled on this site after I was almost finished building the truck. Thanks to help you, and a few other guys on here I did learn some valuable info to complete the finishing touches on it. Thanks again to you nd everyone else that I got info from.

Scott
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Nice looking truck.
Ford is after all a
Freaking
Old
Rebuilt
Dodge
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX X
Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 AM

Scott,

Thanks for the images. I remember you posted earlier last year and thought at the time that your truck had some interesting history.

Anyway, I liked seeing what you started with and what you ended with. YOu did a nice job!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:32 AM

that is incredible, what are the specs on the rig? turbo, fuel, suspension? What kind of air ride system?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 AM

55 COE Dodge Cummins

Hi,

You are just the guy I need to talk with.

I'm building another old Ford COE. This one a 55. When fitting the cab to a 93 Dodge Cummins chassis, the drivers side cab mount leg interfears with the turbo. (I was planning to run an intercooler.) Did you have simular problems?

There aren't many nuts like us that enjoy these things. I would like very much to talk with you.

Many thanks,
Grammabud
Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 AM

Grammabud, That is another reason I put my engine behind the cab. There is just no room under the hood on an old coe for things on a modern engine like the turbo on a CTD.

us mma,

The Ford cab is sitting on a 93 D350 Dodge chassis that has been streched 9 feet. I made a 50 gallon fuel tank and mounted it under the cab where the transmission normally would be, and it has Firestone air bags with on board air compressor/air tanks. It weighs 13,600 lbs with my 34 Dodge sedan on it, and it gets 12.5 mpg loaded.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Grammabud,
I don't really know/remember the particulars on the cab mount /turbo clearance issues you are having. When I put my engine in the rear behind the cab, I knew it would eliminate any of those issues from sticking its ugly head up in the middle of the job after I had already spent many hours into it then realizing it wouldn't work anyway. If you are not making a car hauler, that may not be an option for you though. I have seen guys out the engine in the rear behind the cab with a regular pickup bed, but there isn't much room left to haul anything if you do that. On my hauler bed, that was just dead space anyway and worked perfect. Plus, other benefits are: More leg room since no more hump in the floor to cover the engine, no heat coming up through the floor in the summer, less noise, and the driveshaft is only about 3 feet long instead of 12 feet. Much less to go wrong with a short driveshaft. Putting the engine behind the can only seemed like the best thing to do to me
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM

55 Coe

I'm building a pick up. I will be shortening the frame. I guess my only option is to relocate the turbo. Everything else fits.

Thanks for the response...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Yea, if you are wanting to put a regular pickup style bed on your truck it isn't as convenient for you to put your behind the cab as it was for me. The space behind the cab under my hauler bed was just dead space anyway, so it was MY best option. I have seen guys put the engine in the back with a regular pickup bed before, but there is little room left to haul anything and I'm not sure you would have room for a fifth wheel hitch either without building a stretched bed, and I'm not sure how that would look. I know of a guy that has a 48 Ford COE with a Power Stroke Diesel under the hood in the flathead original location, but darn...........How in the heck you would ever be able to work on it is beyond me. So after seeing his, I am sure you can do it, and I'm sure when you remove the hump on the floor pan, you can get to it to work on it. But I just hate that hump. WIth the hump there, to drive it you almost have to remove one of your legs and throw it in the back because there isn't enough room for both of them between the hump and the left kick pan

Quick Reply: 48 Ford F-6 Cummins Conversion photos